Red Envelope / Deceptive Rewards Program, Customer Service

United States Review updated:

1. The way my purchase was packaged seems thoughtless, and the "special message" I was prompted to choose if I wished upon ordering was nothing more than a haphazard ink-jet sticker with the lettering misaligned so that when I peeled off this sticker, part of the text was still on the backing.

2. When I purchased this, I looked up the return policy which seemed to be "no hassle". The packaging included a return sticker. When I called to ask how to package the return, the CSR stated "however [you] want because [I] was paying for it and responsible if they didn't receive it promptly." Customer service couldn't have cared less.

3. When you complete your online order, a whole bunch of different offers pop up...free shipping, which sounded great until it became evident you had to enroll in something, and the Red Envelope Rewards program. The rewards program sounded like a typical program many companies offer to help keep customers - sign up and get a chnace to receive special discounts and offers. I signed up as a customer who's gotten wonderful offers from companies I purchase from (Coach, cosmetics companies) solely for being a customer.

RED ENVELOPE VALUES ITS CUSTOMERS enough to charge a whopping $14.95 EACH MONTH for the privilege of receiving discounts. I learned about this charge today, as I went through my credit card statement to discover they'd charged me a total of $44.85 since January! I had no idea, and all those wonderful offers that went to my junk email folder are useless for anyone who doesn't purchase from this horrible company weekly. You would have to purchase a lot of merchandise to start making back your $14.95.

When I called the program today to get my refund, the CSR initially refused, saying I had access to wonderful discounts for the last 3 months. Are you kidding me?! After a very terse conversation, she agreed to reverse all charges over the course of the next 1-2 billing cycles, and after pointing out that I've paid interest on the charges and would like a quicker resolution (as in a check mailed I can put against my account immediately), she said that this is the best she could do. Thanks again, Red Envelope, for making all of this cost more of my time and money than what it was worth.

Overall, I am so furious with Red Envelope for their deception - from the purported "ease" of returns to the crappy "rewards program" to the apathetic customer service. I WILL NEVER purchase from them again, ensure that everyone I know is aware of my experience, and Red Envelope would not let me post this review because they said it included "inappropriate" language.

Comments

• Ca
      16th of Apr, 2010

Hello,
    My name is Caroline and I am the Special Programs Associate here at ProFlowers. I would like to sincerely apologize for any confusion you experienced regarding our partner program. I would be more than happy to discuss your concerns, assist you with anything I can and receive any additional feedback to improve our service. Please contact me directly to discuss, my phone number is (858) 909-3785. I would like to assist you in any way that I can.

• Br
      24th of Dec, 2010
    Red Envelope - Poor Customer Service & Inventory System
    Red Envelope
    redenvelope.com

I placed an order on December 8th, 2017, and it shows my order as processed. Tracking information was provided to me, and my billing details were provided to UPS. Expected delivery date was December 20th, 2017.

I called yesterday to try to track my order and was told by a customer service rep that the item was stuck in the warehouse and that they would overnight ship it to me. I was asked to give Customer Service 24 hrs to respond to me.

I had to call back this AM, after the 24 hr window lapsed and no one had called me. i spoke with a new Red Envelope customer service rep and was told that my package definitely had not gone out, and it looked like the item was back ordered.

At that time, I requested to speak to a red envelope supervisor, and while I waited, I looked for the item I had purchased on their site - it was not anywhere to be found. My guess is that they didn't get a lot of orders for these and never actually ordered them, but also didn't have the courtesy to alert their customers to that.

I then spoke to a supervisor, who told me she could "understand how pissed" I am, but that nothing was going to happen before Christmas. It appears my item was never actually placed, despite getting an order confirmation and tracking details. She told me the customer service reps should have made assumptions - well that clearly does not help me now since it's Christmas eve and I have no present.

I asked that supervisor to send me an email telling me that my order was cancelled and I will not be billed, but that has also yet to arrive in my inbox.

Shoddy customer service all around, and apparently they do not have the proper inventory controls in place.

• Ko
      3rd of Jul, 2011
    Red Envelope - Incomplete delivery of order
    Red Envelope

I ordered a necklace with 4 birthstone pendants for my mother Christmas present on November 26, 2017. I had this specially gift wrapped and paid for this service. I received a order confirmation showing the necklace with 4 pendants and was charged $26.24 total. I later received a order pickup for shipping and received her gift. I did not open the package when I received it since it was specially gift wrapped. On Christmas, my mom opened her present and there was only the necklace, no pendants. I called Red Envelope today and they stated their order did not process and charge me for the pendants and this is why I did not receive the pendants. I argued with customer service that the order confirmation clearly states the necklace with 4 pendants and quoted the price of $26.24 total. They said I would have to purchase the pendants and they would provide free shipping. I told them that if they do not ship my order complete as in the order confirmation I will be filing a complaint with BBB as well as FTC. This company can not get away with [censored] like this. If you send a order confirmation with the item and price and ship the order, then it must ship complete. Regardless of whether they have a order management system issue, the right thing to do would be to ship the remaining items on the order for the customer to save face. Instead they seemed pathetic in their sympathy and would not honor my order. Please do not do business with this online company. You can shove it up your *ss Red Envelope!!!