Reach Local / rip off

1 Renton, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 425 525 2500

I own a med size tree service. I have used a couple of companies for cpc advertising and have been successful with it. Reach Local contacted me, asked for an opointment to come to my house and show me how they could help me by managing my cpc campain. They said that they would get better results for less money. They hard selled me into signing a 3 month contract for 1500 a month.
I am now in the third month and am completley furustrated with the level of disservice that i have recived. They are charging me $9-$12 for the key words that i have been paying $3.50 for for the last year through other companies. They refuse to make any corections in my bill and it seems that they enjoy the level of frustration that they are causing. I have called my way up the chain at reach local and they basicly pass the phone around the office and get a good laugh at my expence. I have been in business for five years and this is the bigest mistake that i have made bar none.

Comments

• Ji
      23rd of Apr, 2009

not that i don't agree that these scams are just that. But we all do have to read the fine print. Usually in these buy this for free, but all you have to do is pay shipping, they have your cc #. Then in the fine print it will say your card will automatically be charged monthly $60.00 say, unless you cancel. I had to find out the hard way on that myself. Consumers be very careful with giving your credit card, debit card information out!

• Sc
      8th of Jun, 2009

reachlocal is a scam and reach local didnt even compare to google adwords which i did my self!
    lets see $100 in 2 months with adwords = $800 profit
    $1500 in 2 months with reach local = $1480 LOSS!
    REACH LOCAL DOES NOT HAVE VERY GOOD MATH SKILLS!

• Ce
      11th of Jun, 2009

Thanks for getting the word out about Reach Local

29th of Jul, 2009

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories about ReachLocal! The sales representatives in this company are arrogant, careless and rude! They don't care about what the customers really need, they just want to GET you. So, when you are approached by ReachLocal sales robots, because they all sound exactly the same, don't be shy to ask them what do they know about your business and your needs first before they "educate" you.

They are ignorant!

• Ce
      31st of Jul, 2009

I have heard a bunch of stories about how aggressive the Reach Local sales reps are but I did hear one company say they liked their Reach Local rep. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck working for the company.

• Sc
      23rd of Aug, 2009

living well is the "best revenge"

• Er
      19th of Apr, 2010

I am reading many of these complaints and a majority of them are from the same people over and over again- competitors, or past employees. I own my own web marketing company and have used reachlocals PPC services for about 4 years- I signed on as an authorized seller back before they had a local sales force. Out of all the companies I have used, reachlocal has brought my customers the best results.

Its a shame then everyone believes what they read.

I looked up Superpages, at&t, and yodle-- and they all have awful reviews. What people need to realize it is impossible for a company to please 100% of their clientel. Its a shame that people have to go on these "complaint boards, " and try to ruin a companies reputation.

You have to ask yourself- ReachLocal is such a bad company...
    Why do they have an 85% campaign renewal rate?
    Why are they getting ready to go Public?
    Why do they have an A+ with the BBB?
    Why were they just named #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in N America?

1st off- Reachlocal does nothing with SEO. Its SEM.
    SEO and SEM are completely 2 different worlds. In no way does SEM(ppc) affect your SEO (organic/natural listings) on the page. You can contact Google directly and they will say the same thing.

-3rdly Reachlocal has over 300, 000+ campaigns running right now. You simply cannot please 100 % of your client base. For any business owner- you know this is IMPOSSIBLE. As Im sure you have experienced-- you always have that customer here that will complain and you can't please NO matter what you do.

4th - If your pay-per-click campaigns isn't getting the call volume you would like- WHY don't you take a look at your website. If you have an AWFUL website- why is anyone going to call you??? You cant Blame that on ReachLocal.

5th- People talk about exoborant fees. They are a business- you are paying them for a service so you dont have to deal with the headaches of trying to set up an internet marketing campaign across 5 different search engines- then try to manage them all! The mark up is minimal.

Do you own your business to run a profit? How much did you make off of replacing that garage door spring or the bathroom remodel you did last week?

6th you have the ability to sit down with your rep and monitor your keywords at anytime. Are they going to disclose their entire keyword list? No, that is all of their hardwork. Why would they hand the entire keyword list over to you?

If all the keywords are correct and you are getting visits to your website-- HOw can you blame Reach local for customers not calling you????? Fix YOur website!

I don't advise The GOOGLE adwords EXPERT to switch to reach local. You know your business better than anyone.
    But if you are not a Complete expert with setting up an online presence on Google, yahoo, bing Etc then ReachLocal is the place to be. You could be wasting thousands of dollars if youre running campaigns on your own.
    They are an adwords Qualified company- they have been through the google testing.

Nothing is 100% perfect, but if you have a great product and a great website- ReachLocal will do an amazing job for your company.

Reachlocal is not a perfect fit for every single business- the business model does not work for 100% of all businesses- but 85- 95% of the campaigns run very well.

If someone is Upset they run and tell 20 people. If they are happy, you'd be lucky if they told 1.
    This is the sad thing - Where is the page for the 100, 000 happy customers?

4th of May, 2010

“I am reading many of these complaints and a majority of them are from the same people over and over again- competitors, or past employees. I own my own web marketing company and have used reach locals PPC services for about 4 years- I signed on as an authorized seller back before they had a local sales force. “ Wait a minute here! So if you own your own web marketing company what are you doing using reach local for web marketing? It’s like me saying oh yeah that mechanic is great I use him all the time and by the way I’m a mechanic. This is clearly a reach local employee or PR manager. It’s amazing how some of these companies start grasping at straws when their little scam is put out to the light and the complaints pour in. if you had any shame reachlocal! You would just hand all these people their money back for doing a poor job with their web marketing needs. And next time at least be smart enough not to incriminate yourself with some stupid comment like the one above.

4th of May, 2010

As you can see I found this other post and it’s the same guy defending reachlocal. A little digging and this guy is clearly a reach local employee or PR rep. God this is why people hate companies like reachlocal. atleast be smart enough not to make it so easy to clearly spot your fake "comments"

• Gr
      18th of May, 2010

I would like to have "ErkHtr" tell me why I shouldn't get me $5, 000.00 back from Reach Local, when the sales rep, who was more like a used car salesman, told me that they would increase traffic to my site tenfold. And when they didn't, (surprise, surprise) the sales manager told me that unless I can prove that he told me that, I'm pretty much SOL.

They also told me that .88% click-thru rate was average, when Google themselves tell you that if it's below 1%, then the ad isn't targeted appropriately.

Then on top of all that, I hired an SEO/web marketing reconn specialist, who found out that reach local was using keywords that included los angeles and washington state when I'm located in Charlotte, NC (the other end of the country)!!!

I'm not complaining about the number of conversions from clicks to calls. I'm not complaining about SEO as opposed to SEM. I'm talking about being told they would deliver something and them not delivering it!!!

I'm complaining about them either not knowing what they are doing OR not doing what they are being paid to do, on purpose!!!

I'm complaining about being treated horribly as a customer, not getting the services promised and not being compensated or refunded for any of it!!!

DO NOT USE REACH LOCAL!!! They are the biggest scam ever!!!

• Ju
      22nd of Jan, 2011

I have to let you know that ReachLocal's employees may seem arguementative because they are constantly micro managed, recruited from other companies with lies, charged for their benefits, no match on their 401k, and then made to go to their weekly "sweat shop" callday every tuesday with expectations to set a certain amount of appointments. So, they truly don't care about your business at that point in time. The security of a paycheck to bring home becomes the fore front.

That is all I will say to stick up for the employees. As far as the company itself, ... They are experts at losing employees. If you give a two week notice. They give you your final paycheck and send you on your way. Not to mention making sure they know everyone in your pipeline at that pont in time! WOW! rude.

So, no wonder they could care less if you don't get the results you were promised or had expectations for. they don't even care about their employees! The people makeing them the money in the first place!

Also, btw... SEO is where it is at and where the internet marketing place is going. Google is making a big shift in 2011, so make sure you do all you can to optimize your web site. then, you will not need to "pay per click".

• Dm
      15th of Jun, 2011

Reach is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but you HAVE to have a good website to convert clicks to calls. A website is judged in .5 seconds and if you don't make the cut then you do the math. I am dumping Reach Local, but not because they are a "scam". I am looking for something better. After 2 years of service - and a lot of phone calls from customers, we are tweaking our ads. What I am unhappy about at the moment is the statement that we cannot change our ad budget as we wind down our last 2 months. We have changed budget many times based on the volume of calls, but now they care how much advertising we do. This it petty and childish. Why does a company burn bridges with their clients? BAH!

• Au
      4th of Nov, 2014

Do ReachLocal disclose their actual costs or how much they've actually paid Google to their clients? Do they really get 65% of our entire budget as a secret fee? My answer is YES. They have done this to me and with other clients too. Post in here so we can see how many have they've ripped off.