Reach Local / bad service

United States Review updated:

Reach Local is an internet advertiser. The program does not work. They say you are paying to reach customers in your area, well we are in the North Shore section of Massachusetts and we were getting calls from California, Colorado

Florida Connecticut and everywhere else. We told them at the end of three months we were not happy and the salesgirl wanted to come in and show us what we were doing wrong!!! This is a program set up by them it was what they were doing wrong. We told her not to come in and just end our contract with them. They ended our contract 4 or 5 days into the month but charged us for a whole month $1600. . Lesson learned never give your credit card to an advertising company to automatically put the money on your credit card. We even have an email from them stating that we would have to pay the 4 or 5 days and we would receive the money back for the rest. They won't give us the money back. So don't fall into their trap this is a sleezy company.

Al

Comments

• Re
      Mar 05, 2009

I can confirm the sleaziness of Reach Local because I worked there in early 2008. This company has a very aggressive business model. They have been through a couple of rounds of venture funding and are racing towards going public. They burn and churn their sales people and put tremendous pressure on them to close deals... even to the extent of lying to get business. They treat their employees terribly. In my office, they started firing sales people less than three months into their employment if they weren't hitting very aggressive budget goals. Within one year of opening the office here, they'd turned the sales staff completely over.

As an advertising professional, I'm not sure what I was doing with a company like this. Maybe I was desperate for a job at the time. But I am so thankful to not work there and I feel sorry for the large number of small business owners who have been hood winked by this company.

Here's a joke: How do you know if a Reach Local employee is lying? Answer: You hear words coming from their mouths. Beware. Beware. Beware.

• Do
      Mar 17, 2009

I have a company in Toronto. Despite the fact that I made it clear that I was already doing a decent job of running an adwords campaign, they insisted that they would be able to improve my results. It's my fault for believing them. Their campaign was absolutely useless. It was a complete waste of money and now I have learned that it may have jeopardized my google ranking through their use of a proxy website (my ranking has, in fact, dropped.

These guys used high-pressure sales tactics, buffoonery and countless servings of ###. I have very little doubt that they're a scam and have had the same feedback from the one other (ex-) client of theirs that I know.
    Do not sign on with this company.

• Su
      Mar 26, 2009

I completely agree that Reach Local is a scam. In fact Reach Local is the new version of a used car salesman. Before I started advertising with Reach Local I was running my own Adwords campaign and getting a good response. Then in June one of their sleazy sales people convinced me they had a better system and I could get a much better response and run my advertising acrosss all the other search engines. Now my business is a complete disaster, most of the clicks to my website were coming from outside of the area I told them I wanted to advertise in, my response dropped from 86 leads in a month to 7!!! and to make things worse Reach Local kept lying to me the whole time telling me to let their stupid software learn what was working. Well their software never worked because Reach Local kept displaying my ads for such general keywrods that we received large volumes of wasted traffic.

If you value your business do not allow Reach Local to get anywhere near your online marketing. The salespeople will lie to you as long as possible only to keep charging your credit card. They shouldn't be called "Reach Local" they should have been called "Reach Into Yout Pocket and Steal Your Hard Earned Money" Thanks for wasting $10800 of mine. Stay away from Reach Local they are scam artists and I don't know how they sleep at night.

Apr 20, 2009

After interviewing several "On-line " Marketing companies, we finally settled on Network Solutions, a company who has a great reputation and has been in business for years. I will never deal w/ a new start-up again!

• In
      May 22, 2009

You know as soon as you see "After interviewing several Online Marketing comapnies, we finally settled on Company X" as a comment in itself, it throws the legitimacy of all the other posts into question. How do we know that this isn't all a black-hat scheme by "Network Solutions".

Jun 08, 2009

I wish I would have read this before I signed with reach local!

"I feel sorry for the large number of small business owners who have been hood winked by this company"

I have a small strugling company thinking that they were the answer to help my business grow, boy was I wrong! I was using adwords for a fraction of the cost and making a profit off a minimal budget, spent around $1500 with reach local and made a whopping $20 whooo hooo! total rip off! total scam! DO NOT USE THEM!!!

• My
      Jun 10, 2009

Go with Idearc Media Search Engine Marketing. They do not inflate the cost of the clicks, provide a dedicated account manager, and have more experience in the industry.

• Do
      Jun 12, 2009

Reach Local Sucks! I was a rep for them and the company just plan sticks. Stay away from this company at all cost. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM and DO NOT USE THERE PRODUCTS. BE WARNED!!!

The product is over priced, it does not work and the management is horrible. Before you even think about working for them, just know that you will be fired just as quick. The training class I went to had 60 people in it. By the 5 month, there were 4 people left (Nation Wide) In my regional office, the first week i started a rep was fired. During my 6 months there, 1 person was fired every month.

THIS COMPANY STICKS ALL AROUND. THERE HIRING PRACTICES...is a JOKE! Just think about it people when a company MASS hire like REACH LOCAL...you better rest assure that they are going to MASS FIRE.

Lastly, The product or the services does not work. I can't tell you how many times I was selling this product and knowing it was not going to work. Sure enough, my clients did not but rightful complain and wanted out of their contract. STAY AWAY FROM REACH LOCAL and the used care SALESMEN by the name of NATHAN HANKS

Jun 12, 2009

reach local reps make commission off each click. they are a scam and will continue trash them until they no longer exist! TOTAL ###!!!

Jun 12, 2009

my rep was pretty persistent in the 1st month with emailing and phone calls weekly sometimes daily but in the 2nd month when the campaign didnt seem to be working (at all!) there was little or no contact other than "your next months payment is due on ?"

Jun 13, 2009

may as well google "reach local" and click on their sponsored links, it cost them money. just like they lost me money!

• Sn
      Jun 14, 2009

Reach Local have recently moved to the UK, and one of my client halted a very successful Adword campaign they had set up to go with Reach Local, my client (a cosmetic dentist) was getting between 5 and 10 enquiries per day with a spend of £1500, Reach Local advised a £2000 spend and in one month we have had a total of 8 enquiries, they ignored the campaign we had set up geared towards a specific aspect of cosmetic dentistry and launched a campaign based around the whole industry..

We have now halted dealings with them and are likely to end of taking them to court for making false claims.

I am an experienced organic SEO expert with 8 years organic and Adword experience and would advise anyone to avoid these 'cowboys' like the plague.

• Li
      Jun 19, 2009

Business owners who invite "sales people" into their business should not be so willing to claim ignorance or being scammed, if they willingly with full forethought and knowledge sign an advertising agreement which is very specific to the Advertising Terms of Service.

Furthermore, I have personally managed my own PPC (pay per click) and this year have spent over $10, 000 in Google Ad Words. I also have paid more for ad words than I should due to my own mistakes and not properly monitoring or targeting the best key words or long tail key word phrases or geo coding. Google, Yahoo and the rest of the pay per click contenders realize their greatest profits on inexperienced users who don’t know or pay attention to what they are doing and who end up wasting thousands of dollars on useless PPC.

Ad Word programs are very costly if you don't know what the heck you are doing. Business owners who fail to use proper tools and analytics to daily monitor results will quickly drain away their ad spend to the delight of Google and Yahoo.

Unless you are highly skilled in using Google Analytics and other critical sophisticated monitoring tools, and are willing to put the time in monitoring results, (rather than running your business) to assure you’re hitting the right audience with high performing key words and long tail key word phrases, you stand to quickly drain away your ad spend dollars on useless clicks.

For this very reason, your odds of getting measurable positive results are significantly increased with professional management of your PPC program. Nevertheless, PPC programs are not 100% accurate due to ever changing technology, metrics and placement criteria of Google, Yahoo or MSN. You should never assume that Google, Yahoo or MSN do not ever have hick ups with delivery of PPC. We are dealing with fallible technology.

Moreover, print media advertising is either dead or dying. I have drastically cut all print media including yellow pages and have dedicated my advertising spend to PPC and www.yellowpages.com.

Thus far I am very happy with click conversions and new customers.

Jun 22, 2009
    Best Best Advice

All I can Say is REACH LOCAL SUCKS! Stay far away from this company as an employee and client. YOU WILL BE BURNED!

Jul 16, 2009

Donald you sound like a disgruntled Ex employee (did you resign or get the boot ?) why where you selling campaigns that you knew were not going to work it the first place. Its your obligation as an employee to educate the market, Meaning: if you know a campaign isnt going to be successful from the start you should inform the advertiser and walk away from the business. (Ethics)

As for the aggressive recruitment of employees, its sounds as if reachlocal as any other growing company are looking for high calibre consultants; hence the hiring/ firing of consultants so quickly.

Lastly for a product that apparently doesn't work, they seem to be expanding quicker then most US companies right now or is that fictional too ??

Jul 21, 2009

Hey guys check out ClickXPosure.com NO COMMITMENTS! We are so confident you will be happy with our work that we don't believe in contracts! Everyone on our team is a Google expert. Call us and hear us out.

• Bl
      Jul 27, 2009

I agree 100% with everyone, well not everyone Mathew 1234 seems to be a manger of Reachlocal. Shame shame shame

• Li
      Aug 11, 2009

Actually, Google AdWords only gets you about 20-30 % of online traffic where-as if you have an optimized (by a white hat company of course) website you will actually see 70-80% of search engine user traffic. And, you won't be paying per click. Just some useful information for business owners.

• Oh
      Aug 19, 2009

It is sad that some companies give the whole bunch a bad rap. Go to www.ohioabc.com. For $55/ mo you get a website, SEO campaign (not PPC$$$) on Google, Yahoo MSN, AOL, YellowPages, YellowBook and about 40 other search engines, discounts to over 100 national companies that business owners use everyday, business information and much more. There is no one in the market that can touch what we are doing for small businesses. You really have nothing to lose by giving us a shot.

Aug 23, 2009

i'm over it now but no way in H E double hockey sticks would i recommend this company!

• Ne
      Aug 24, 2009

Old, high pressure yellow page sales reps don't die... they just end up at companies like reach media and yellowpages.com. I have actually walked out of a job interview for a few of these companies.

Their closing techniques are akin to a prosecuting attorney. They will use your own words to cut off escape routes, and corner you into buying from them.

The sales reps make high commissions, but have to work like dogs, and soon burn out.

Find a good local internet marketing company who is interested in learning about your business model and your business goals.

• Be
      Sep 28, 2009

Forty to Fifty Percent of Your Ad budget goes to "professional management" of your PPC program.

If you like pissing away 40 to 50% of your budget then by all means hire these guys. However, if you take a minute and review the helpful Google Tutorials on PPC, you will save money and generally yeild a better result with no monthly contracts.

Also, be leary of allowing management of "display" banner advertising programs. These companies are bidding as low as 10 cents per thousand impressions and charging astronomical mark ups.

Google now allows you to purchase the same or similar programs for much much less cost on a bid basis.

• Ab
      Nov 16, 2009

I'm a small business who has been using Reach Local for nearly a year, as well as referring them to a few of my own clients. I've not yet heard any complaints from any of the people I've referred to R.L., nor have I experienced any of the bad that people have spoken about here. R.L. is a pretty big company, and I'm guessing they have their share of complaints, but I think all we're really seeing (on this post at least) is the negative. My experience with them has been positive, and all the people in the local San Diego office have been pretty friendly and helpful.

• Ti
      Nov 30, 2009

Big companies do have their share of negative reviews, but the ones here seem to also hit on their business model and pricing. I have concerns after reading this that this service charges exhorbitant fees relative to available substitutes. Why layer an expensive local sales force and the layers of high paid managers on something that can be highly automated and run from anywhere?

Can anyone point to some other services or technology solutions?

• Re
      Dec 09, 2009

Reach Local is a Total SCAM! They Proxy your domain, so you end up paying for your own organic listings in Yahoo, Google and other search engines. They are excited to go to Canada and other Countries to screw people out of their money, because those poor unsuspecting, hard working business owners have no clue how ReachLocal SCAMS them and others. Don't take my word for it. Go to Google and search for: Reach Local SCAM, or REACH LOCALCOMPLAINTS, or REACH LOCAL SUCKS ... You will see how many people have been screwed by now by this SCAM COMPANY. Hello UK, here comes REACH LOCAL TO CREW YOU TOO! These s h oles should be in jail. One day they will be known as MADEOFF OF ADWORDS.

Read more: http://www.techvibes.com/blog/reachlocal-hits-the-gta#ixzz0ZFYtF9NQ

• Rl
      Mar 02, 2010

Reachlocal is horrible. The sooner everyone understands this the better. We used them for our company in Ann Arbor and all we got were terrible leads. Here is one thing we figured out. They like to include our business name in their keywords. Of course when someone searches for our company, they will use our name. Reach Local loves to charge high amounts of dollars for clicks on these keywords that only cost them pennies. Thus, businesses who have been around for 3-4 years and have name recognition are prime targets. STAY AWAY!!!

I started working with this SEO and pay per click guy named Shawn. Owns his own little company. He's always there when we need him and our leads on the site are way up. Good guy, inexpensive and true results. I can't ask for more. I don't want to post his email on the board, but if anyone wants to get his contact info, post on here and I'll get it to you.

• Ne
      Apr 08, 2010

RLhater - could you post your SEO guy's (shawn) email? You could even post as 'shawn at xyzcompany dot com'. Phone # would be helpful too.

• Ar
      Apr 09, 2010

We have been developing websites for over 14 years and start using ReachLocal over 4 years ago. We have found that the process Reachlocal has developed is by far better then many all the others we have tried, and we have tried many over the years. It's all about the set up and management of the campaigns. We now use ReachLocal for our own site and for over 50 of our client businesses range for auto repair shops to hotels.

There new Display product is now working very welland to when used with sponsored search ppc campaigns has increased ROI by an average of 28%. Check out our latest RL client at http://www.palmspringsresorts.com.

I suggest that if the ReachLocal application is not working for you call there management or visit http://www.globallylocally.com.

ReachLocal's application works if programed correctly.

Apr 10, 2010

I own a Company in Florida and our business is strickly local. I continue to get out of state calls. I asked my rep about this and she said I would get a credit. Well after much complaining I am being told my "status" is now "closed". But as you can see from the E-mail below my credit is for unspent funds. How interesting!

Hello Chelsea,

The following Ticket Status has changed from Resolved to Closed.

Advertiser: Metal Recycling
    Campaign: 487515 Metal Recycling 20091102Campaign Owner: Chelsea

Issue Type: Credits Refund Unspent Funds

Best Regards,
    Casey
    ReachLocal

Apr 10, 2010

Hey folks, I help people who are fed up with these kinds of big internet marketing corporations everyday. I own a company called clickxposure.com. We specialize in PPC, SEO and Email marketing. We don't believe in tying our customers down to contracts because we confident that we can deliver. Besides, PPC does not work for every business model, therefore why sign contracts?

You will receive your own dedicated account manager's cell phone number, so he or she could work with you on demand whenever you need. My email is [protected]@oneims.com and I will be more than happy to give you any information or quotes for your campaigns. NO CONTRACTS!

Apr 10, 2010

I agree. We help businesses who are fed up with big internet marketing corporations just like this. I own a small customer focused internet marketing firm called clickxposure.com, we specialize in PPC, SEO, and email marketing. We do not believe in contracts, because we are confident that we can deliver what we promise on. Besides, PPC does not always work for all business models, so why tie yourself in contracts and waste money?? With us you will get the personalized attention and a dedicated account manager you can contact anytime by phone or email. My email is [protected]@oneims.com if you need any more information I will be glad to help.

• Pl
      Apr 12, 2010

The company I worked with is ClickIt Marketing Solutions. I think there website is www.gettheclicks.com.

There prices were a lot better and I go month to month. They work with a lot of old Reach Local clients, so they knew what I was going through.

I am happy with them.

• Ha
      Apr 14, 2010

I'm a customer of Reach Local. Funny...I have not experienced anything negative with them in the slightest. It makes me a little suspicious of many of these claims. Our call volume almost instantly went up. We know it was due to Reach Local because we listen to the calls coming in via thier website. We got one call that paid for the entire service for the next three years or so and continue to get valuable calls daily. If I ever have a question, I call or e mail our account rep and she always answers quickly, usually that day if not that minute.
    I'm happy with Reach Local. My Sales Person Chelsea hasn't told me anything that isn't true, she has never even exagerated anything in my estimation. Sorry I could join your whine fest everybody. I wonder how Reach Local is growing so fast if my experience wasn't the vast rule instead of the exception.
    -Happy Customer
    [protected]@gmail.com
    any questions?

• So
      Apr 14, 2010

So this guy with "Reach Local" walked into my store and told me he could improve my SEO, online traffic etc. I asked him to email the appropriate person at my company who makes these decisions for my stores. He emailed my sales and marketing department and called me to follow up. Here's where it gets funny:

ME: Hello, thanks for calling
    Reach Local Sales Person: Hey, I just wanted to follow up with you on the email I sent
    ME: Sounds great, the people in my marketing department will review your email and if they find it compelling will certainly get back to you.
    RLSP: Well who can I contact over there and talk to in person?
    ME: They get a lot of solicitation each day and prefer all initial correspondence to be done by email for this reason, but I assure you, if they are interested in your services they will contact you.
    RLSP: Well that sucks I am not a solicitor, i came into your store!
    ME: I'm sorry that's just the way they prefer to handle things.
    RLSP: So what the hell do I have to do write them a poem!?
    ME: Ummm, I'm not sure
    RLSP: This is ridiculous! I came into your store! I mean, how compelling can I be in an email!?
    ME: Ummmm, okay thanks for calling.
    RLSP: Yea.

I then proceeded to Google their business and big surprise came upon this, glad the guy was such a jerk before I decided to do any business with them. Sounds like this place puts a lot of pressure on its sales people.

• Pl
      Apr 15, 2010

I am sure there people who are happy with reach local at first, but in the end you are lucky to break even!! I am spending half the money and getting better results with my new internet marketing company. Nice thing is now I know the keywords that work, so maybe I can run the campaign myself one day.
    With reach local they could never tell me what the top keywords were.

I learned from my experience and glad I got out early!!

Apr 19, 2010

I am reading many of these complaints and a majority of them are from the same people over and over again- competitors, or past employees. I own my own web marketing company and have used reachlocals PPC services for about 4 years- I signed on as an authorized seller back before they had a local sales force. Out of all the companies I have used, reachlocal has brought my customers the best results.

Its a shame then everyone believes what they read.

I looked up Superpages, at&t, and yodle-- and they all have awful reviews. What people need to realize it is impossible for a company to please 100% of their clientel. Its a shame that people have to go on these "complaint boards, " and try to ruin a companies reputation.

You have to ask yourself- ReachLocal is such a bad company...
    Why do they have an 85% campaign renewal rate?
    Why are they getting ready to go Public?
    Why do they have an A+ with the BBB?
    Why were they just named #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in N America?

1st off- Reachlocal does nothing with SEO. Its SEM.
    SEO and SEM are completely 2 different worlds. In no way does SEM(ppc) affect your SEO (organic/natural listings) on the page. You can contact Google directly and they will say the same thing.

-3rdly Reachlocal has over 300, 000+ campaigns running right now. You simply cannot please 100 % of your client base. For any business owner- you know this is IMPOSSIBLE. As Im sure you have experienced-- you always have that customer here that will complain and you can't please NO matter what you do.

4th - If your pay-per-click campaigns isn't getting the call volume you would like- WHY don't you take a look at your website. If you have an AWFUL website- why is anyone going to call you??? You cant Blame that on ReachLocal.

5th- People talk about exoborant fees. They are a business- you are paying them for a service so you dont have to deal with the headaches of trying to set up an internet marketing campaign across 5 different search engines- then try to manage them all! The mark up is minimal.

Do you own your business to run a profit? How much did you make off of replacing that garage door spring or the bathroom remodel you did last week?

6th you have the ability to sit down with your rep and monitor your keywords at anytime. Are they going to disclose their entire keyword list? No, that is all of their hardwork. Why would they hand the entire keyword list over to you?

If all the keywords are correct and you are getting visits to your website-- HOw can you blame Reach local for customers not calling you????? Fix YOur website!

I don't advise The GOOGLE adwords EXPERT to switch to reach local. You know your business better than anyone.
    But if you are not a Complete expert with setting up an online presence on Google, yahoo, bing Etc then ReachLocal is the place to be. You could be wasting thousands of dollars if youre running campaigns on your own.
    They are an adwords Qualified company- they have been through the google testing.

Nothing is 100% perfect, but if you have a great product and a great website- ReachLocal will do an amazing job for your company.

Reachlocal is not a perfect fit for every single business- the business model does not work for 100% of all businesses- but 85- 95% of the campaigns run very well.

If someone is Upset they run and tell 20 people. If they are happy, you'd be lucky if they told 1.
    This is the sad thing - Where is the page for the 100, 000 happy customers?

Apr 19, 2010

I am reading many of these complaints and a majority of them are from the same people over and over again (especially the guy with the user name- Scammed)- competitors, or past employees. I own my own web marketing company and have used reachlocals PPC services for about 4 years- I signed on as an authorized seller back before they had a local sales force. Out of all the companies I have used, reachlocal has brought my customers the best results.

Its a shame then everyone believes what they read.

You have to ask yourself- ReachLocal is such a bad company...
    Why do they have an 85% campaign renewal rate?
    Why are they getting ready to go Public?
    Why do they have an A+ with the BBB?
    Why were they just named #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in N America?

1st off- Reachlocal does nothing with SEO. Its SEM.

This is the sad thing - Where is the page for the 100, 000 happy customers?

• Tr
      May 11, 2010

ErkHtr is clearly a ReachLocal employee. ErkHtr is also trying to spin you around, like what the ReachLocal employees do.

First - They do not have an 85% campaign renewal rate. Over 60% want out of their contract in 30 - 45 days and get out.

Second - They are going public to get more money to first, pay their inner circle of founders a huge paycheck (weren't these the same guys that ran that offshore poker site that's now illegal?) and second have more money to figure out more ways of screwing business owners out of their money with more products and programs that rarely work.

Third - ReachLocal just got the A+ rating with the BBB because they just joined and did the paperwork. Any new business automatically starts with an A+. If memory serves right, they had a D before that very recent change. They also did it just so they'd look good for the investors when they research the company.

Fourth - #1 fastest growing company in America...all part of the publicity they were building to try and get credibility before going public. Did they really win it? I have to be skeptical about that when the ReachLocal Chief Development Officer was actually visiting the Delloitte building regularly.

Lastly, notice how many times ErkHtr says "you" in his double posting? That's what ReachLocal will say. You pay us, it's your fault, you fix your website, you, you, you... Isn't that part of why ReachLocal would earn your business to begin with? To be true consultants, think for the long term relationship in the client's best interest? They don't. They just want their salesdogs (I can't even call them consultants) to slam another $5, 000 per month in new sales in the book evey month and will do so at your expense. BEWARE! The posts by all these other people complaining are true! I've seen it all happen to many businesses over and over.

May 11, 2010

I guess I should have read these prior to signing with Reach Local. After paying $343 per call the said that the campaign was setup incorrectly and that they would have to start it all over. They would start that campaign from scratch. They offered a $200 credit on a $1600 a month spend. When I complained they said that they would give the next cycle their best shot. I guess the first cycle was just for fun. Just say away and find a company that can offer you good SEO not SEM. Be honest with people and you will be rewarded.

• Se
      May 21, 2010

I too have heard both good and bad about reachlocal. I actually opened my own business to help combat problems like that. If a company is selling online marketing, I personally don't know why they would mirror their customers website so that the client couldn't be able to track their own traffic to their website, or track phone calls and everything else. I spoke to a local caterer where I am and discovered that he was paying $850 a month for their services and stuck in a year long contract. When everything I could find to sponsor him under would only cost about $350. Search engine marketing does work when done right. And it's not hard to "geo-target" ads to the clients location. Not sure why they do things the way they do but if you need to advertise online and would like an honest shot at it you should check out search7marketing.com. No pressure you can see the results for your self and there's no dark corners in our service