Publish America

Awful company

4.65
Publish America
publishamerica.com
In 2007 I contacted publish america with regard to publishing my poetry books. After looking one book over they sent me a 7 year contract that would automatically renew for another 7 years. I couldn't alter the contract to my specifications so I emaiiled them informing them that after the 1st 7 years the contract is to end. When proofreading got a hold of my book it took 2 months for them to proofread it. they said they weren't accepting any new manuscripts, but they sent the new manuscript that I sent them, back to me for proofreading; and of course they couldn't find the errors that I suggested. They then forwarded my book to another department and they sent me a copy of the cover which the name was spelled wrong. My voice is unique and they tried to proofread my book changing the name from Black As I Ever Was keeping' It real Rapoetry to Black As I ever was Keeping it real rapoetry. They said it was too late to change it and I said forget it. 2 months later December 2008 I get 2 final proofs of my book. I look it over and there are several formatting errors. They also changed some of the words in my poems which altered the meaning of my poems. I emailed one department after another and yet nobody is taking responsibility, they can't tell me whether they've actually received the Email or not, wouldn't tell me where corporate was, and they want me to order 50 copies of my book before they can make any changes. I said again, forget it. I plan on suing them for defamation of character and false advertising. They should be stopped immediately. They take aspiring writers and change and alter their works which is not in the contract. Then they want you to spend money on buying your own book from them, that is not correct.
Complaint comments Comments (69)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Books

Comments

N  3rd of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
Hello, I wrote and published the book "Battered Badge" by Aileen Christine. I was happy when they told me the book had been edited. When I received my first two books, I went into shock when I read the book and discovered few mistakes. I contacted them immediately and they gave me the run around. I was asked by Uni-Vision Spanish TV station for a documentary, which went very well and aired all across America. It was an excellent documentary and several months later, I asked if any books were sold and they refused to answer me or send me my royalty statement. This was in 2009 or 2010 and to this day I still don't know if any were sold or not, or if they pocketed the money. I called and they continuously would hang up in my ear refusing to give me any details or answers. I finally gave up.
N  17th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I'm Free!!! I just paid these losers $99 to get my rights back! About 3 months ago they sent me an email offer to do this. I jumped on it...but the link they posted was dead. Imagine that. Last week I got a RARE phone call from a very pleasant young lady (also rare) noting that my sales were flat for over a year. Well, my sales have been flat since Day 1, according to their royalty output. She asked if I wanted out and I explained that I had tried without success. She extended the offer of $99 and I'm FREEEEEEE!!! Be prepared to change your cover art if you had them create it. They wanted an additional $500 for their rights to that, and their lousy manuscripting!! Why was I not surprised? Good luck to you all...I'm outta here!!!
N  22nd of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I never should have trusted in Publish America. First of all, they told me not to worry about grammar or spelling. Their actual words were, "write the way you speak and we will take care of the editing." I felt confident and sent my manuscript. Later I received five books and upon reading one, I was stunned to see that it was never edited. I called them several times and all they did was hang up on me. I never got any answers. During that time I had been interviewed by Univision; a ten minute documentary of my life. It aired nationwide, and when I called concerning sales, I was informed that I didn't sell a single book. I never received a royalty statement. I don't believe that one was not sold in the entire United States. Something sounded fishy. I had several people tell me they ordered my book, but no royalty checks. I believe they are a bunch of thieves. NEVER again! I had to rewrite my book and change the cover because I was too embarrassed to advertise or do Author signings. Terrible! Aileen Christine, Battered Badge
N  27th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I want to join in on a class action suit, First, Publish America published my book wrong, they totally missed it up, and they even changed the title if you can believe that. My book was in memory of my brother, I just wanted it out there for readers to enjoy. It is an Adventure book. Anyways, Yes - lots of money, I had to have it edited at $2400.00 then buy 10 books, and I even fell for the buy 10 and 10 will go to a book store, never happened. Then a letter saying No books have been sold and they wanted $199.00 from me...No books sold...Many of my friends on facebook have bought the book, my book is for sale on Amazon, eBay (eBay has a lot of my books) BUT not one cent to me and when I asked them they told me I have not sold any...Now they took my book off their website, they want proof I have seen my books for sale (which I did copy and paste many sites selling my book) I sent this proof to them. I honestly have had it with them. They act like little thieves, laughing and banking all your money, laughing at us and the legal system, I want to join a class action law suit against them...is there on going on now? (Oh...you want to see my book...go to eBay or Amazon and look for "Boy Scout Camping, Be Prepared, Be Really Prepared")
N  27th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I posted the above complaint, jeffbeard, I was told I have not sold any books but I have proof of selling a lot. I want in on a suit against these thieves. My contact info is jbeard007@sbcglobal.net or 916-427-8033 Thank you
Jeff Clinkenbeard
A  27th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
i just read the book Crack'd a true story of crack addiction. And let me tell you, it was a very difficult book to read, not for the the content but for the bad punctuation, misspelled words and run on sentences . the biggest complaint i had for the this poor book's author was misused and misspelling of the word know and now and the word to and too. Who in the hell proofs these authors books?.. that alone would send me screaming for an atty. It was so bad as i read the book, which is very good, by the way, i had a pen in my hand and corrected every error i encountered. Very pathetic... and this company, Is it still in business? Very sad for those who invested their own money only to be brought down by a jerk of a company. On page 215 and 216 alone i counted 25 errors and i am not even nit icking.. Mr. Whitton, I enjoyed your book very much and you deserved better representation than what you got from these publishers or what ever you want to call them.
N  28th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
Well I feel raped by Publish America. All the promises did not come to fruition. They say I have had no royalties; yet you can find my book for sale at other online bookstores. I am totally devastated. I just don't know how any company can be so deceitful.
A  27th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
1/27/2016: PA, To all things there is a season...

Wicked and deceitful man do flourish when good men and women are silent. So, as long as all of us keeping putting the Truth out there about Publish America...America Star Books...Textstream Publisher and any other name they may currently go by eventually someone with some real clout will show some integrity and truly address this beyond shameful so call business we all know as Publish America, and its many other names.

MPN, Author/ and original Creator of Man-Tu The Young One Published 12/2010

PS; The above Publish America haven't been my publisher, since I purchase my publishing rights from them in 2013. Never signed any contract with America Star Books nor Texstream Publisher and any listing with them claiming to still be my publisher is a lie. Those rights are no longer theirs to claim.

It is truly strange how our world and local news stations, report almost daily how other fraudulent companies are being investigated and some times brought down, and yet the government watchdogs appears to be turning a blind-eye to the above mention and their down-right unlawful practices. One has only to read our on line complaints and yet our complaints ... somehow are invisible and ... yet they see everything else?.
A  16th of May, 2016 by    0 Votes
after 5 years, i have never received any money or an accounting for my book. shall we do a class action suit? bill warren ph 760 717 9731

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree