Protection One / Poor service!

We signed up for Protection One in January. When we signed up, we asked the sales person if we could cancel anytime. He said "Yes, no problem." We paid an installation fee. In July of this year, we asked to cancel the service. We were told that we have a 3 year contract. Sure enough, if you look on the back of the contract in writing so small you need a magnifying glass, it says the contract is for 3 years. We called and said there is no way we would have signed up for 3 years. We don't even anticipate living in this same house in 3 years. They said we cannot break the contract unless we pay a $300 cancellation fee plus pay for the months we have already asked them to cancel. This company is a rip-off and extremely difficult to work with. NEVER SIGN UP FOR PROTECTION ONE. We've learned our lesson.

Comments

• Xp
      16th of Oct, 2007

I used to work for Protection One for two years as the person who monitored the alarms and made the necessary calls as the alarms went off. I can tell you that back then at the age of 23 I was considered an "old fart" because most of the people working there are kids around 18 and 19 years old and they DO NOT care about you, your home, business, property etc. Occasionally you will find an operator who is older, but they usually work the day shift and leave the night shift to the kids who like to stay up all night and goof off at your expense. You would think, "where are the supervisors?" They were there, but they were schmucks, who spent their time surfing' the net on their computers, or making out with subordinates in the server room. It was crazy disgusting. The customer service department was no better. They will lie to you with the greatest of ease with their main goal being to get you off the phone. You asked if you can cancel at anytime? They will always say YES, when in reality the answer is always unequivocally NO, NO, NO. I always felt so sorry for the poor customers who would call up to cancel their account and then find out they were in it for five years no matter what the reason. I had no power over that being in the monitoring department, but I sure did get a lot of misdirected calls and always got an earful from irate customers in regards to their contracts and other various things.

• Da
      12th of Mar, 2008

I have a similar situation as Tom. We live in Washington. We were in a rental house which had a pre-existing Protection One system, installed according to the landlord at least 5 years prior to our moving in. We activated the system. When the guy came out to turn it on, I told him we would only be living in the house a year or so while we looked to buy a home. "No problem". Moved out 4/07 & canceled the service. At that time, they said we owed them for service until 2009, the original amount being $660. I called last April & said we did not sign up for 3 years, and would not be paying them ~$700 for NOTHING. They promised a call from a supervisor. No call & no contact until this week (nearly a year later) when we received a letter from a collection agency, claiming we owe $785! I would rather SET FIRE to 8 $100 bills then send the money to these people. If anyone has had a similar situation & resolved it in their favor, I would like to hear about it.

4th of Jun, 2008

These guys are scammers and protection 1 is a rip off. These guys conned my mom and grandmother into signing their contract. The alarm system never worked right and they had only put censors on a few of the doors and windows. It has been years now and they will not cancel the contract by phone and my grandmother has had a stroke and is not able to write anymore.

a year or 2 ago I unplugged the thing from both the phone and electricity. A few months ago the cops and fire dept showed up at my door saying the alarm had gone off? this is impossible since its been unhooked for years now, and now on top of the money protection one steals from my poor old grandmother every month, now she has to pay the police $100

• St
      5th of Nov, 2008

Dear Customers and former employees,

Due to the seriousness of the above allegations, I would like the opportunity to investigate your situations. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss your concerns. Protection One strives to provide an excellent standard of customer service as well as provide a safe, friendly, and efficient work environment. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,