Protection One / Stay away from Protection One!

My wife and I signed up with them 2 years ago. We are moving to a new home 1 mile away. Their rep assessed our new house already equipped with a good alarm system and proceeded to assess us a new activation for $200 and also for every single window that are already wired, and charge us for a new box. Ultimately, they wanted a $900 to “transfer” service.

What’s worse is that if we decide not to use Protection One anymore, we are still responsible for another year’s worth of payments for the old house! They did not give us a copy of the contract, which apparently says that we’re locked in for 3 years! There is no contract termination fee; rather, they are going to fully charge us 15 months of cost ($500).

This is a highway robbery. A competing alarm company will charge only $20 to sign up with existing alarm system on the new house, with a contract that I can end any time.

I suggest that no one sign up with these crooks at Protection One. Go with a company that actually provides reasonable service with good price. Protection One did not even provide good service. When my alarm started to chirp in the middle of the night every 10 minutes, their response was to have us wait 3 – 4 business days until someone can come by.

Stay away from Protection One.

Tw

Comments

• Lm
      26th of Oct, 2006

I agree with you! Protection One's customer service is horrific. They don't call you back as promised and renege on promises. The quotes for a new system is ridiculous and outrageous! The constant phone calls everyday are also a nuisance. I plan on sending a formal complaint to BBB regarding their actions.

• Al
      14th of Oct, 2007

TWY every alarm company has contracts, I would beware of the "local guy", if he is letting you cancel at any time, how good can the service he provides to you be. He needs recurring monitoring to fund monitoring stations, maintenance, equipment, employees, insurance, trucks, etc. If he gives you that option than he must have given everyone else the same. In anything in life, you get what you pay for. I had a similar experience with another national alarm company and it sounds like you are getting off the hook a lot easier than I did. I had 2 years and was required to do an alarm move to my new house in New Hampshire. There hasn't been a crime here in 50+ years. I understand the companies stand point being a retired company executive myself. Companies can only exist on profit. I don't know what you do for a living but, I'm sure whatever company you work for, does it to make money. Good Luck to you!

• Ra
      27th of Dec, 2007

I agree. We put new windows in and our window guy made sure he pulled out the existing wire as far as he could so that they could come in and wire it back on. Didn't happen, they said it wasn't useful anymore and they would have to run new wire which was a fortune. Then I called to finally cancel (YEAH) in October and the rep said it was taken care of. Today (December) we had auto deduction which now the rep on the phone said we have to send in a letter for cancellation. FAX, EMAIL, and verbal are no good to them. Yet when you call them you have to give your password to ensure it's you. NEVER will we go back or refer them.

• Ka
      3rd of Jan, 2008

I agree regarding Protection One. We cancelled our service and even though you have to purchase all of the equipment when you cancel it is so that the alarm will chirp unless you completely disconnect all power to it. I think it is something in their system that causes that so you completely have to disable the equipement. A rip off, I think so!

29th of Apr, 2008

Protection One is the greatest band of thieves to walk the earth. One of their greatest scams is to say you have to cancel via letter. They "accept" a verbal cancellation (calling an 800 number from your own home phone, they get your number even if it is blocked, you give your password, you state your intent, so they damn well know it's you and what you want to do), but then they don't tell you that you need to do it in writing, according to them. So they try to rip you off for another month or two's billing, which you don't find out about until they bill you. Then the calling starts. 200+ phone calls w/i 2 years, always leaving a message on your answer machine, "This is a non-emergency call from protection one. We have been trying to reach you. Our toll free number is 1-877-200-5958, M-F, 8AM to 10PM Central Time." They never say why. [Call this number from a pay phone, it's free, but it costs them.] Protection One's actions are nothing less than unjust enrichment, a legal phrase that should be a defense against their sleazy gouging. A search of the net reveals they have been sued by several states' attorneys general for their business practices. What is needed is a massive class action lawsuit against them for their sleazy business practices of evergreen clauses, multi-year contracts, underhanded "we won't cancel 'till you do it in writing" garbage. This is the WORST, sleaziest alarm company around. They even have their own agents post on these websites to try to justify their actions; some of these agents pretend to be "helpful" consumers, some ID themselves as protection one management lackeys who want to "help" you "understand" your bill. They rely on your fear of your credit rating taking a hit. When they send you a form letter, they say you owe X, it will be turned over to an outside collection agency, but if you "renew" your contract, they will "apply" the bill to their "service, " very obviously strong arm tactics. These people are utter slime. Avoid them at all costs. Send them a certified letter telling them you are canceling their service at the end of the "contract, " and go find another alarm company. If they threaten to ding your credit rating, just write a response for posting on the 3 credit bureaus' sites; you are allowed to challenge anything on your credit report. Boycott Protection One and put this slimy company out of business!

• Se
      13th of May, 2008

I completely agree with all these comments, especially Protection One's pernicious contract terms, which renew automatically every year for a whole year. After six loyal years as a well-paying customer who rarely had need for their "armed response" services, I was stunned to get a bill for $150 when my telephone line accidentally got disconnected from the "brain" of their system. Having paid well over $4000 so far, you'd think they'd let it go in the name of good customer service. But no. And on cancelling, they decided to hold me hostage for another six months due to their ridiculous hidden contract terms. They also said they will come in to uninstall ALL the equipment. Not so fast, I said, there was a system here before you came in. After checking their records, they agreed. Avoid this company, they simply do not care about their customers--except for that monthly billing.

• Ca
      26th of Aug, 2008

I was a customer for many (7+) years in California. Because the system was so old, I had them come and service it, replacing the backup battery. NOTE: I PAID FOR THIS SERVICE!!! IT WASN'T FREE!!! It turns out that this servicing "renewed" my contact terms and when I wanted to cancel the service 1 year later they stuck me with a bill for $920 for "early termination fee". I have a very good friend of mine who is a lawyer who said this is 100% fraud -- I intend to fight this vigorously, I have noticed there are some lawyers who are looking into this (class action lawsuit perhaps? who knows). My lawyer friend explained to me that they cannot do this (service your unit and then secretly reset your contract) -- it is FRAUD!

• Mj
      20th of Oct, 2008

Oh my gosh! It is so good to hear I am not going crazy. We have been customers of Protection One for 10 years. When we bought the system, the salesman told us our contract was for only 1 year and that at the end of the year the equipment would be ours. Several times we accidently tripped the system, and it took them a good 30 minutes to call and ask if we were ok. Then when we tried to cancel, my husband called them within their tricky and specific window of time and they accepted our cancellation over the phone. HOWEVER, we continued to recieve bills and were told that we had to cancel in writing, which put us out of their window of time for cancelling. They have harrassed us by calling our home 2-3 times a day with recorded messages, etc. Very long and upsetting story later, we ended up paying for an entire year we did not use. Now they want their 10 year old equipment back, which we were told by the salesman was ours after a year. We set up a time for them to come and get their equipment. We both took the afternoon off of work because we didn't trust them for either of us to be here alone. You guessed it--they never showed up. One week later, we get a bill in the mail for a $49 trip charge!!! When I called their "friendly" staff to complain, they said their computer showed that a technician came to our house and if the computer says it, it must be!! These people are the most dishonest, disreputable, rude company I have ever dealt with. Now I am afraid they will turn us in to a collection company and ruin our credit! I filed a complaint with the FTC, and am in the process of filing one with consumer affairs. Any suggestions about how to protect our credit from these snakes would be appreciated! Also, if anyone ever hears of a class actions suit against this company, i would love to testify against them~

23rd of Oct, 2008

Just searched complaints about ADT, Brinks and Monitronics. All had many more complaints than Protection One. ADT is about 6 times bigger than Protection One but had 11x as many complaints. Brinks and Monitronics are about the same size and both had 3x the number of complaints. In my opinion, Protection One has the best security service out there. Yes, there will be occasional problems, and you're absolutely correct to complain...but they simply are not the "biggest band of thieves to walk the earth." Good reliable security and customer care.

• Ge
      14th of Nov, 2008
    Protection One - telephone solitatation calls

protection one calls every day sometimes twice a day. please make these calls stop.

912-897-5012
    gerard swinson

21st of Jan, 2009

I was told that I should have read the small print on what they have you sign. The contract will auto renew and you will have 30 days to cancel each year. You really don't own the system, and they will come rip it out when you cancel.

• Me
      30th of Mar, 2009

I HATE Protection One... just like everyone else.. I was a customer for 11 years. I called to cancel when I moved, and they told me it was $600 to cancel. "the balance of the contract"... WHAT CONTRACT - I had a TWO year contract... oh no - it renewed every year. I said - you've been out here one time, and since the system was so old - you couldn't even replace the battery, so you had to upgrade it! You've never had a false alarm - I've never been late on a payment - etc.

I can't believe that this is the way that they treat GOOD PAYING customers! I will NEVER use them again!

8th of Apr, 2009

If you stupid ### would ever read the contracts you sign, then maybe you wouldn't have the problems you face. Every alarm company has contracts or else you aren't getting any type of system put into the home.

• Pr
      2nd of May, 2009

just so u know all of your complaints for the most part have to do with either a greedy salesperson or incorrect information. Every alarm company makes u sign a contract, and every alarm system will "chirp" as u say because it has a low battery(just like your home smoke detector) or hasn't been serviced ...all u have to do is disconnect the wire . And further more if u move into a new house you can take your previous alarm, or Protection one will actually give a $150 credit toward your new alarm system. Don't fault the company just because of an incompetent person on the other end of the phone. FYI Protection One was just named on Forbes 100 list as "the most trustworthy security company" in the nation. NO OTHER security company even made that list!!! So once again do not rely on one wrong or in-correct action

27th of May, 2009

YOu would be better off buying you own system and paying a normal monitoring company like 495alarm.com 5 buck a month to monitor it. WIth no contract.

I gave them over 8 years of never missing a payment and this is the thanks I get. IF you goto their website and ask the live help after your contract is up, they will tell you that you own it. I was told that today by Melissa Dietz, but it is not true. Read that contract that says they will come remove it and if there is damage it is not their fault.

I was with them in 2 different homes for over 8 years and paid over 30 a month and the first time I had trouble, they were not there for me. After canceling and sending them two letters asking them to cancel it and paying the early fee to cancel, and being told I was done with them and not to worry about the system, now they want the crappy system back. My new alarm company is replacing everything and charge me 99 bucks with no contract and 5 a month montoring and I own the system.

IT does not matter what tell you, it matter what is in writing. Trying calling them now and asking them if you will own the system after the 3 year contract and see what they tell you.

If they make this right and do what they say they will do in emails and over the phone, I will come back and update this.

• Ba
      7th of Jul, 2009

constant harasasing phone calls sometimes 3 times daily .

• Kb
      24th of Jul, 2009

I have been trying to cancel for almost 9 months. I have a canceled check, and have been assured by four customer service reps we are done, and STILL I get calls and bills. They stalled for three months just so they could roll over the automatic renewal clause and try to suck another couple hundred dollars out of me. I got that rescinded, got a final bill, paid it, and now they "can't find a record of it." They are either incompetent or their minimum wage lackeys will say anything to pass the problem on to someone else. And if your house is burning or a burglar is robbing you, they will leave a message on your voicemail--not call anyone else to check it ouit. My dogs are more effective. Customer service is anything you want to hear--but the bills keep coming.

27th of Aug, 2009

Oh really? Why don't you check out their employee attrition at 60%. Not only are they a terrible company towards their customers, but to their employees as well. I should know. I used to work there and have never been treated with more disrespect and unappreciation. The A+ with the BBB is false. All of their ratings are falling and they are constantly being sued. In fact, they recently fired my friend that was pregnant for attendance (which she had a doctor's note for). She is currently filing suit. They can't even keep enough employees to take all the phone calls. I predict within a few years they will be out of business or bought out by another company. I can't wait...

• Ra
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I agree with most of the negative comments. I was a good customer of Protection One for almost 8 years when I sold my building and moved into a new building signing a 2-year lease with the landlord. I was approached by another alarm company who offered a free alarm system as long as I signed a 2-year contract at $40 a month. I called Protection One and explained the offer but that I would prefer to stay with them as a long-term customer (mislaid loyalty). Protection One promptly sent out a sales rep who said he would match the other company's offer - I agreed and unfortunately had the system installed while I was away on vacation. Imagine my surprise when I returned and read the contract, signed by one of my employees, for 60 months and a $600 charge for installation and new equipment. Dozens of calls to Protection One got me nowhere, the salesman had already quit (no doubt with some nice sales bonuses) and I was told I would have to honor the contract. At the end of the 2-year lease, I called Protection One and terminated the monitoring - the bills keep on coming (which I refuse to pay), Protection One now has collection agencies calling me and recently filed a negative report on my credit. I have probably dissuaded a dozen fellow business owners from going with Protection One and will continue to advocate against the company for as long as they exist. Protection One sucks.

21st of Jan, 2010

Oh Susan. What I was stating a few months back is now happening. I regret yet am not surprised to hear the Protection One will soon be closing their doors. Therefore, it looks like you won't be able to help anyone. What a surprise! I hope you enjoy the merger with Brinks and ADT. :)