Protect America / Scam

1 RI, United States Review updated:

This company has a nice scam going! They offer you equipment at no charge, if you agree to a 3 year contract. The salesperson tells you that you can cancel after 3 years, and the equipment is yours. I've been a loyal customer of Protect America for over 5 years.

When you agree to the contractual obligation, there is no mention of a renewal clause, which is automatic and clandestine, for 1 year periods at a time at the end of the initial 3 year contract. To cancel this service you must send in writing or email a cancellation at least 60 days before the contract expires. If you cancel 59 days before the expiration, they tell you that you are responsible and will be billed for another year. Keep in mind that you must be able to prove to them that they received a written cancellation note, which means a certified letter or the like.

THIS IS A TRUE SCAM. I really think the company is not in the alarm monitoring business as much as it is in the extortion business. I really feel sorry for the senior citizens who want alarms in their houses, and may be shammed by Protect America.

The fact that this company, who uses our great nations name in its own, would bully honest hard working people into paying for their service sighting a small clause that they didn't initially discuss and after the initial 3 year contractual commitment is met, is truly appalling! Especially when you consider the dire economical situation this country is in with hundreds of families losing their income every day.

This type of auto-renewal policy has been deemed illegal in many states like New York (see ADT's settlement with its NY contract holder), and it is only a matter of time until other states adopt similar policies.

An

Comments

Ja
  22nd of Apr, 2009

Stay away from this company. They will lie to you just to gain your business then will treat you like crap. find something better. They charge you for services that doesn't work and their equipment is horrible. you are better off getting a dog than using this company.

Da
  27th of Sep, 2009

Hi,
I just read your post and realize that there are so many victims out there after I myself become their victim. I have paid them $34.90/mo for three years without a single late payment now they nail me with the automatic renewal scam. I never receive any notice from them but I sent them cancellation letter 30 days before the expiration. They require 60 days in advance. I do not know how to start a class action but I am trying to contact all the victims and hope that some one will come out with an idea to deal with them.

Th
  28th of Oct, 2009

My system doesn't work EVER! It fails all of the time, and when they state they will have someone call to fix the "under warranty" system, they never do. They couldn't even get their payment system worked out!! They wouldn't take credit cards because of some kind of transition, then they wanted an automatic draft ... I told them no way ...not unless they fixed everything ... Now I just tell them no way! They had their chance!

I had someone tell me I could get out of the contract and now they are saying that I can't; the flip back and forth; and have no clue what is going on!

So I faxed and emailed them the same information that I am not paying for DEFECTIVE equipment, and a system that is not being monitored!

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

ps. I have already sent in TWO cancellations!! And they are still ignoring them. It is going to take more than that to stop these thieves!

Pr
  29th of Oct, 2009

thank you for this posting. I am going through the same thing. They are scammers. I have s system that doesn't work and all I get is the run around from them.