Protect America / Scam
This company has a nice scam going! They offer you equipment at no charge, if you agree to a 3 year contract. The salesperson tells you that you can cancel after 3 years, and the equipment is yours. I've been a loyal customer of Protect America for over 5 years.
When you agree to the contractual obligation, there is no mention of a renewal clause, which is automatic and clandestine, for 1 year periods at a time at the end of the initial 3 year contract. To cancel this service you must send in writing or email a cancellation at least 60 days before the contract expires. If you cancel 59 days before the expiration, they tell you that you are responsible and will be billed for another year. Keep in mind that you must be able to prove to them that they received a written cancellation note, which means a certified letter or the like.
THIS IS A TRUE SCAM. I really think the company is not in the alarm monitoring business as much as it is in the extortion business. I really feel sorry for the senior citizens who want alarms in their houses, and may be shammed by Protect America.
The fact that this company, who uses our great nations name in its own, would bully honest hard working people into paying for their service sighting a small clause that they didn't initially discuss and after the initial 3 year contractual commitment is met, is truly appalling! Especially when you consider the dire economical situation this country is in with hundreds of families losing their income every day.
This type of auto-renewal policy has been deemed illegal in many states like New York (see ADT's settlement with its NY contract holder), and it is only a matter of time until other states adopt similar policies.
More Protect America Complaints & Reviews
- Protect America - Save yourself a headache! 
- Protect America - Protect America is ripping me off and they'll rip you off too! 
- Protect America Security Co. - Borderline Fraudulant Co. 
- Protect America - Terrible company 
- Protect America - Cancelling contract within 72 hours 
- Protect America Auto Renewal - Scam
- Protect America - You will get better use of your money if you pile it up in the middle of the street and set fire to it
- Protect America - No cancellation allowed! 
- Protect America - Scam charges 
- Protect America - Terrible experience