Protect America / Protect America is ripping me off and they'll rip you off too!

Beware of Protect America Inc, 5100 N IH 35 # B, Round Rock TX 78681 (phone: [protected]). Protect America has charged me a total of $213.84 for equipment I don't have and monitoring I never had. I signed up with them in May 2006 and they sent the equipment to the wrong address--big hassle. I finally got the stuff on June 9 and it was the WRONG equipment. At this point, they had charged me a total of $114.84--they couldn't tell me what the charges were for and I was fed up! I sent the stuff back with a letter of cancellation. I thought it was done--I didn't really expect a refund, but I was glad to be done with them. NO SUCH LUCK. On July 5, 2006, I received another box of equipment from them--I ran to the post office to send it back without even opening it. I also sent another letter of cancellation, certified mail, telling them I wouldn't accept anymore equipment they sent and that I wasn't going to use their services. The next week, I got a bill (dated 7/5/06) for monitoring; I decided to ignore this bill. Finally, today, 7/20/06, I saw that they have charged my credit card $99--a charge I never authorized. Basically, they have stolen my credit card number. I have disputed that charge with my credit card company and have filed complaints with the BBB, and Complaints.com--people need to know that Protect America is out to rip them off, not protect them.

Comments

• Va
      3rd of Jan, 2007

About 2 years ago I purchased a home alarm system from "Protect America". I bought it and signed a contract for 2 years, after 1 year I was having all sorts of problems with the system and was not happy. I had to keep the system or pay a ton of money for breech of contract, so I kept it.

I called 2 times for someone to come out to fix the unit and they never did, nor did they even call. After my 2 years where up. I was told I had to "Mail" in a cancellation to this company 60 days in prior to my contract end; this was in November 2005, which I did.

My contract was up in February 2006, this should have ended my contract since I mailed the cancellation notice, and they have me on record as calling to cancel. I sent the letter early, more than enough time for USPS to get the letter to them even on a donkey.

Time goes by I went on vacation to Seattle. While I was on vacation wouldn't ya know my alarm goes off. My sister in law was staying there to watch things. I guess she did not take notes on the operation.

This happened multiple times in 2 weeks, no police showed up, NO call from Protect America, NO call from ANYBODY to see if it was a false alarm, which they have done on the first year of service. This would usually indicate I HAVE NO MORE SERVICE cause it was cancelled.

Months go by and they are still AUTOMATICALLY withdrawing money from my bank account for alleged "monitoring services" EVEN AFTER I CANCELLED AND EVEN AFTER FALSE ALARMS. I could not get them to cancel. I ultimately had to close my bank account to keep them from withdrawing money out for an account that had been cancelled.

Let me ask ya if they where monitoring, wouldn't I have got a call from the police or from them to see if its a false alarm when it was going off. Even a ### would day "Yes" since I paid for it.

So today September 12 2006 I received a bill from Protect America for a $98.85 for past due and current monitoring. Hum I thought. It seems they have been billing me for services they where not monitoring and they are still trying to do it and the damn this still doesn't work.

I called them today. They tell me you owe this money for months past, June, July, August.....................I S*#@ you NOT.

Now they state we NEVER received ANY cancellation notice within 60 days for contract ending. Ya see when you don't cancel within 60 days of your contract end they don't contact you, they renew the contract for a further 2 years, its in the fine print they say, and the sales guy does not tell ya this. Only after 3 months have passed they send me a bill stating past due and this is the first time I have seen a bill from them.

I spoke with this people person "a rude idiot" to say the least, I told her the entire story. She then got angry and defensive. This was obviously the person that needs people skills, oh and she was a "supervisor".

I asked her why am I being billed for services if the service that I paid for when all you people do IS they simply call the police and me if my alarm goes off and they never called once.... she changed the subject immediately.

She offered me a discounted price for the renewal contract that I just made without my knowledge...ha. I then kept explaining to her " I cancelled the service". This went through one ear and out the other. She said why did you close you bank account. I said you where taking money for a service that was cancelled 3 months prior, I sent a cancellation notice, and you fraudulently withdrew money. She then got more defensive and all the facts I stated to her earlier she kept twisting my facts to be in her favor.

I will be contacting the attorney general of Arizona, the BBB of AZ, the registrar of contractors of AZ and possible small claims about this problem. Any others please chime in. This seems to be happening to more and more every day.

I will keep you posted on the mail they will send me...

• Wi
      13th of Mar, 2007

I've had a similar situation. I sold my house 8 months into my contract. I tried to return the equipment, but they wouldn't allow that. I tried to cancel the monitoring...no dice. So I've just paid $29.95 a month for the past 16 months for NOTHING. Now, when I call to cancel, they tell me that I have to send in written notice 60 days before the contract renewal date or it will renew for another two years!!! Beware! Do NOT let this company steal your money. Avoid them at ALL costs.

• Ke
      18th of May, 2007

Protect America is out to make money and screw their customers over. I hate this company and have filed a complaint with the BBB. How can a company do this to its customers?

• Da
      10th of Jun, 2007

I bought my house new, and protect America was the contractor to install the security system. They installed it, took my check and when I called to have them come out and fix a window device, they came out once. The window device has never worked properly since. The alarm has gone off numerous times in the 3 and a half years I've owned the home. Nobody has ever shown up or called to see if everything was ok. That tells me that it was never EVER monitored! I never saw a bill so I figured no harm no foul. That is until my wife and recently stopped using one of our checking accounts. 3 months after not using the account, the bank notifies us of insufficient funds. come to find out Protect America HAS been billing me the whole time, I just didn't pay enough attention because I thought my account with them got overlooked. My mistake, and a big one at that. so I've been paying this fly-by-night shady company for 3 and a half years and getting nothing in return--Shame on me. I just closed that checking account so I will have to see if I start received letters from these idiots... I'll post again if i do. My next stop is the BBB.

• As
      19th of Sep, 2008

We recently tried getting a system from Protect America. The system arrived weeks late. They did not send adequate "sensors" and then when I inquired, they said I would have to pay $79 per sensor extra! When I threatened to return the system, they agreed to send me 5 sensors for $50 (total), and then never sent it. When I called back again, they said they do not have any record of my earlier conversation. And wanted to charge $79 per sensor. After another threat to cancel the service and return the system, they agreed to send me 5 sensors for the same $50. They sent me only three. When I called back to enquire, they told me they did infact send 5!!! Some guts to just lie like that.

We ended up returning the system. They have threatened to hold me to the three year agreement, and I intend on fighting them to get back every cent I paid them already.

They will never have my business again, and of course, I will never be referring them. They have no interest in taking care of the customer.

• Sh
      29th of Sep, 2008

I also ordered the Protect America Alarm system. They called me on the phone, thought it was a good idea as we just moved into a new home. After ordering I went into the computer to check to see if there were anything on Protect America Alarm and sure enough there was. After seeing all the things that was written about this company I decided to stop my contract right away. I wrote immediately and told them I would not accept their product and was going to return it immediately after receiving it, which I did. He called me and I told him why. He said why do you say that and I said you go into the computer and check out Protect America Scams and you will see for yourself. This was back in July and I have not heard from them since. I cancelled my credit card immediately but he had already taken out 73.00 but I called the credit card Co and told them what had happened and that I wanted to get my money back. They took all the infor and sure enought I got my money back.

• Po
      17th of Dec, 2008

I have the protect america service as well. My contract was 4 months from renewing. I called the company to cancel and they told me that I'm under contract for 4 more months and that I should call in 4 months when the contract is up to cancel the account. So me being the idiot that doesn't read the fine print believed the a-hole from the company and called back 4 months later to cancel. Well my contract renewed because they didn't get written notification. So I was told to call by the idiot instead of writing...I wonder why? So now i'm under contract for 2 more years. I tried an experiment today to see what would happen when I called and tried to cancel again...guess what...they told me that I would have to pay $500+ dollars for the monthly fee or just call in 20 months to cancel...again another lie...so I called her on it. She said oh and yes you can just email us at blah blah blah.com with written request. But if you read the fine print it specifically says that you should send written notification via US mail and be able to show proof of delivery. Another Lie...This company is crooked. I think i'm going to record this in 6 months and pursue a law suit against them just so I can sleep better at night...STAY AWAY FROM THESE A-HOLES.

• Fr
      13th of Jun, 2009

They are absolutely right on the money...these are complaints from people that live far apart from each other and doesn't know each other from Adam...with that being said, it CANNOT be a coincidence that the complaints are too similar. THIS PROTECT AMERICA CRAP IS A SCAM!!! MAYBE IT'S OWNED BY MR. MADOFF!!!???

• Th
      28th of Oct, 2009

My system doesn't work EVER! It fails all of the time, and when they state they will have someone call to fix the "under warranty" system, they never do. They couldn't even get their payment system worked out!! They wouldn't take credit cards because of some kind of transition, then they wanted an automatic draft ... I told them no way ...not unless they fixed everything ... Now I just tell them no way! They had their chance!

I had someone tell me I could get out of the contract and now they are saying that I can't; the flip back and forth; and have no clue what is going on!

So I faxed and emailed them the same information that I am not paying for DEFECTIVE equipment, and a system that is not being monitored!

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

ps. I have already sent in TWO cancellations!! And they are still ignoring them. It is going to take more than that to stop these thieves!

• Th
      28th of Oct, 2009

More complaints here ...

/URL removed/

/URL removed/

make sure you read page two also

1039 complaints filed against business at the Better Business Bureau

Here is a link for feedback that supposedly goes straight to the CEO!

Here is the link for your state licensing information ... contact them too!

Don't forget to file complaints by email and you can copy paste everything. It makes it easier on you. If you signed up online file with

The BBB only takes complaints and makes recommendations. Complaints need to be made with the Attorney General and the IC3; the Governor ... whoever ...just copy and paste ... send it everywhere ... if you see someone recommending them; send this list of complaints! Let them know that there is way too many complaints; and over 1000 at the BBB stands for something. The BBB has started taking and logging complaints even on businesses that aren't members; so it is a good place to check.