Prestige Sales USA / Door-to-door Scam

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

So, this girl, Rachel, knocks on our door at 8h30pm and like the others who have complained about this pseudo company, she says that she is one of our neighbor's relatives and she is visiting from out of town for a couple of days.
After being all nice and complimenting on everything she could (my wife's first name, my dogs, my house, blah blah) she says that she is trying to raise money to finance her trip to London where she is suppose to do an internship with the BBC. Awwww how nice... the only issue is, my wife actually DID an internship with the BBC in London!!! So of course she starts asking her if she is doing the internship in Aldwych (are of London). Rachel is like: "huuuhh, yeah that's it!"... hmmm ok... so she starts telling her story about the magazines and how great it is and so on.
My wife grabs the documents and takes a closer look. She then asks the girl if she is going to Aldwych to work for the radio or tv and her answer was: "TV that is what I want to do!". Wellllllll too bad! Aldwych is only the Radio!! There is no TV there!!
My wife had it all figured and she now knew that this was a scam (her alcohol smelling breath and trashy look did not help her either..) and she asks me what i think. I reply that i am not really interested. My wife then asks her to show references and she replies that she does not really have any just the money given by our neighbors . Indeed, she had a couple of checks and cash in her hand. We then ask for a website and she gives us prestigesalesusa.com. We both tell her thanks but no thanks, we don't want any subscription. She then asks if we want to donate just any money for her trip and she is just short of $14... Again my wife says show me references and I will give you money.. That is when Rachel suddenly looks at her watch and says:" OMG it is past 8pm! I should not be selling after that time. I will be here for another 3 days if you change your mind"
She left and right away my wife tells me it was a scam for sure because of the reasons mentioned above. I check the website, discover the scam and here I am typing this. My only regrets are that she actually stepped into my house and that I did not realize the scam when she was here because things would have ended differently...

Beware of this fraud!!

Comments

• Po
      20th of Apr, 2009

I heard the same story from two young kids selling magazine subscriptions today. I told them I wasn't interested and they looked at me like I was the devil!