Polaris 55o Supersport / machine performance

Canada, Ontario Review updated:
Polaris Industries
In the spring of 2005 we bought a Polaris 50th Anniversary Edition 550 Supersport. The first year we put maybe 400-500 miles on it (Jan/06 to Mar /06, only used it about 4 Xs the /07 season. The /08 season is when our troubles started in Feb /08 my husband took it on a 3 day 300 mile trip when he was returning the bolt in the crankcase shirred off bounced around and did damage to the crankcase and parts inside. We wrote a letter to Polaris Industries and as it was out of warranty they would not do anything. We paid to get it fixed at the dealers got the sled back in Feb/09 used it once and on the second outing the engine quit and wouldn't turn over back again to the dealers this time we were told the engine seals had dried out and caused crank and piston damage to the engine there is less than 2ooo miles on this machine. I am very upset with the reliability of this machine. Park On Lake And Retrieve In Spring POLARIS) is sure true of this machine.

D  18th of Mar, 2009 by
Sounds like you didn't properly prepare your equipment for storage.
I know that's in the owner's manual.
Seals do dry out - and what you've experienced is typical of what happens as a result of neglecting off season maintenance.
It's not any reflection on the design in general, or the manufacture of this unit.
D  18th of Nov, 2009 by
I agree with Zombiwoof, sounds like poor maintenance on the owner's part. Dry seals can be a result of not using the machine. The low miles worked against you here. Not a Polaris problem.

Polaris Industries Logo Polaris Industries