Penn Foster / payments of tuition!

1 925 oak streetScranton, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-427-1000

I made a payment online with the card u.s. bank gave me it contained my routing and savings account number. I made a payment on 01/27/2008. In February I reviewed my savings account and the money was never taken out. The payment was posted on 01/28/2008 the email sent to me stated my payment was posted so i reviewed the card number on my savings account and my bank statement and it did not match. I than called Portland oregon U.S. bank center and they stated they sold that number to someone. this was on a Saturday 02/02/2008 I learned of this. I than dropped in person to U.S. bank Sunday and showed them the card they gave me and the bank statement and asked them what do I have to do to correct this I also took 60.00 out of the savings account. They said the account number was sold meaning my information including my wife who is a foreign citizen was sold.

They told me there is nothing they can do so I got 2 money orders for 29.00 payment tuition and sent them a letter asking Penn Foster how come you posted payments when no money was taken out ? In my exp. with other dishonest companies they like to sell your account # taking money and keeping you in debt collections two for the price of one. By the way my next payment is not due till 02/10/2009. I paid 1 year in advance quiet a little scam acting like you are not getting paid and turn it over to debt collectors at the same time receiving payments!

Comments

• St
      11th of Sep, 2008

This sounds fishy to me. More of a US Bank issue than a Penn Foster issue. Review your c.c. agreement terms about the right (or not) to sell your card number to another bank. In P.F.'s case, they wouldn't waste their time ruining your credit and denying that they received a measly $29. They simply do not mail you your next course until you have made payments...not turn you over to collection.

• Mr
      28th of Nov, 2008

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE THE THE LAST COMMENT I DID MY SCHOOLING WITH PENN FOSTER AND I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM AT ALL. EVEN WHEN I FINISHED ALL MY COURSES I HAD MORE PAYMENTS TO MAKE THEY NEVER HARASSED ME AT ALL. AND I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT SCHOOL TO ANYBODY...

• Fs
      24th of Dec, 2008

Penn-Foster has very questionable billing and collection practices. I would stay away from them since they are little more than a degree mill.

• Di
      5th of Feb, 2009

They're not a degree mill, don't post things you don't know about.

• Go
      10th of Feb, 2009

Folks im a 2 time graduate from P.F. and am back for my HS diploma. If they were fake they wouldnt have a school code which is 394413. and they wouldnt have and couldnt provide MANY of things that i've proticipaited in with them these last 4 years. Stuff a "mill" couldnt even THINK of coming close to providing so yes folks, they are real and i suggest anyone that trash talks them is to PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE POSTING. Im an insider and YES P.F. IS REAL. Matter fact they've been in business long before manny of you even started crappin your pants. so once again, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE POSTING.

proticipaited... wow

22nd of Feb, 2009

Second year graduate and going back for your high school diploma. I thought that you have to get your diploma before you can enroll in the other programs!!!

22nd of Feb, 2009

My friend had no problem when it was Education Direct, she actually loved her courses. It kept her happy, she could continue her education online while being a stay at home mom of three little ones. She had no complaints about billing or the courses she took.

• He
      9th of Mar, 2009

I am a current student of Penn Foster. My class is extremely disorganized. They change the class schedule over and over and no notice is given. I have to adjust my real job schedule to accommodate. The teacher tells people over and over she has too many students and is tired of all the emails. They are rude to people and make you feel stupid for "bothering" them.

They have a participation requirement that is completely unclear. They make you spend time reading about teenage girls face book pages in order to make a participation grade.

The school is a Joke and judging by the quality of the other student this degree would carry no weight.

To bad they don't allow you to cancel as I will be out $1000 for almost no education. Their techniques were outdated and the books were flimsy booklets with no meat to them.

Steer clear folks, if your unhappy your screwed they charge a hefty cancellation fee.

• Kd
      11th of Mar, 2009

You should enroll in an online program at a 4-year school for instance: Penn State, Univ of MD, WVU, Duquesne or somewhere in your neck of the woods. Do not be fooled by what this school and a lot of schools like it (Univ of Phoenix, Everest University, DeVry University) call accredidation. Ask if you can transfer the credits you receive here to a 4-year university like Boston College (ask before you enroll) and compare the tuition prices too! I bet you will find big differences! If you are thining of enrolling for an undergraduate degree, then ask if you can get into graduate school with the undergraduate degree they provide. The answer will likely be 'it's up to that school' which basically means no! Think about this long and hard and ask eveyone you can before deciding on this school and please compare prices!!!

• Mi
      28th of Apr, 2009

I enrolled and have had problems from the beginning. The books show shipped and never arrived three times over the course of the year and this was for the 1st semester. Recently I overpaid my tuition and called to talk to someone about it, I was assured if I faxed a copy of my bank statement they would process the payment and send me a refund within 72 hours, this never happened. I called back several days later and was told they never received the fax and stood by that even though they knew I had the conformation receipt. Their story changed to I can get a refund in 27 days after a 72 hour processing period and only if I resent the fax! Try taking to a supervisor, they aren't available to come to the phone. Seems to me when you don't pay them you will get harrassed, if you over pay them you will have to do the harrassing! I have decided to take my education somewhere else.

• Pr
      21st of May, 2009

I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH PENN FOSTER. I WENT THROUGH 1 PROGRAM AND THEY KEPT SHOWING SHIPMENT BUT I NEVER GOT THE MATERIAL. THEN WITH THE NEW PROGRAM I ENROLLED IN THEY CANCELED MY ENROLLMENT WITHOUT ASKING AND ARE TAKING 8 WEEKS TO RETURN MY 914.00 ENROLLMENT FEE. THEY SAID IT TAKES THAT LONG TO PROCESS. IT ONLY TOOK TEN DAYS FROM THE TIME I MAILED IT FROM CA. TO PENN. TO PROCESS MY CHECK AND CLEAR MY BANK. WHEN I CALL THEM THEY ARE VERY RUDE ABOUT EVERYTHING. I HAVE REPORTED THEM TO THE BBB. NO I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND P.F. TO ANYONE!!

• La
      28th of May, 2009

Ok, Im a student at Pennfoster. Has never had any problem and this is my second semester so far. The first semester I failed one class but I had to pass before moving on that was the only ugly thing about it. Otherwise it is not bad and it is affordable for everyone. Yes you cannot transfer to all the colleges or univerisites that you might want to attend but there are more than few that you can transfer to. RA or NA. Not bad because now days the employers are not looking for where you graduate at it is if you got your degree. Penn has been around for a long time and the reason I chose them is because the courses are also Ace which means you can get college credits for almost 125 courses and that is very good. If you want to make sure of the credit you can log on to their web and it will tell you the other institutions that have actually accepted their transfer credits for you to continue on to your bachelor. So if you want to attend top univ like Harvard or Prenceton I do not think this is the school for you but if you want to attend the normal school or affodable institution you can afford and still earn your degree then this is ok. Look lets be fair Ra institutions are always the best but very soon NA institution will also be accepted because the exam and the work we do is not easy. You still have to read in other to answer the questions but if you do not read or just want to guess you will be wrong so somewhere you are learning on your own and are still taking yourself serious... So for all of you that want to go somewhere affordable choose Pennfoster and when you finish your second semester start looking elsewhere so when you graduate you have somewhere to go for your bachelor.. Good luck everyone!

• La
      30th of Jun, 2009

I have been a student with PF since 2007. I have had no billing issues, no course complaints, no failures to comply, no hold ups, no shipping errors, no...well you get the point. I have had no problems. Everything I have expected to happen has happened. I am finishing up my HS credits so I can take my business classes (BA). So far, my family has had complaints about all their schools except my younger sister and myself. We use PF. In my opinion it is easier to point the finger outward than it is to point inward. So, people lash out. I have done it B4 myself. Sad, one person's hissy fit can cause another person to lose out on an education. So far it looks like banks are having a way with your payments. Investigate and over communicate with the school and your bank. Call potential companies you want to work with and speak to HR in regards to PF. If you can not be hired where you are trying to work than don't go to PF. I suggest calling the best company in your industry and seeing if your degree from PF works. If payment security is still a concern I suggest using a card like the Rushcard. I refer people all the time and I have had no complaints there either. Load your tuition only and make payments from that card. Go to rushcard.com for details. This will put the control back in your hands. If you agree and choose to use a rush card tell em LADYMOFFITT sent ya.

• Mr
      31st of Jul, 2009

Penn Foster Career School is nationally accredited by the the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency. Penn Foster Career School is licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools.

Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), a nationally-recognized accrediting agency which is approved by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). In addition, the Penn Foster Veterinary Technician Associate Degree program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).

Penn Foster College is licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. Penn Foster is authorized to grant Associate of Science degrees and Bachelor of Science degrees.

Penn Foster High School is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools and nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). Penn Foster Career School (Penn Foster High School's parent school) is licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools. The school is registered with the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearing House.

Source: Wikipedia

From other contributors:

Yes it is accredited and here's the real truth
    I sent an email to Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools asking them if Penn Foster is accredited by them and I'm going to copy and paste the email that they sent back to me.
    The email I sent to them:
    My question is Penn Foster high school claims to be accredited and I wanted to see if it is true. I'm a student of Penn Foster high school and I want to make sure they are accredited. The web site states they are accredited by Middle states Commission on secondary school. PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    The email they sent back to me:
    The Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools accredits Penn Foster Career School located in Scranton, PA. The accreditation extends to the high school diploma and non-degree granting, post-secondary programs. The initial date of accreditation was 2002. Please visit our website at www.css-msa.org for any additional information regarding the schools accreditation.
    The Middle States Association is one of six regional accrediting agencies in the United States. We have 3500 members in the Mid-Atlantic region and at various locations around the world.
    Sincerely,
    215-662-5603 x5039
    267-284-5039 (Direct Dial)
    215-662-0957 FAX
    lgreen@css-msa.org
    Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools for our high school and vocational-technical programs.
    Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
    In addition, Penn Foster Career School has been reviewed and approved as an Authorized Provider of continuing education and training programs by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).l
    I am taking the criminal justices program from Penn Foster, and very please with it. I will be finish in January and plan on enrolling into a BA program at an university
    The official website of Penn Foster College is: http://www.pennfostercollege.edu/
    There is also a Wikipedia entry at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Foster_College
    www.detc.org/
    Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page

• Pa
      7th of Aug, 2009

IAM AGREE 100HUNDRED % THE PENNFOSTER IS NOT GOOD
    SCHOOL . I AM NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO ENROLL IN THAT
    SCHOOL . I ENROLL LAST YEAR BY ONLINE COURSES INTERIOR DESIGN I PAY MORE MONEY, THAT THEY TOLD ME IN THE BEGINING, THE BOOKS, THERE NO BOOKS IS JUST COPIES PAPER IN BLACK AND WHITE, AND I PAY MORE FEES BECAUSE I NEVER
    SUMMIT MY TEST THE SAME DAY I PAY $75.00 MORE, WHEN I CALL TO EXPLAIN ME WHY THEY ARE SO RUDE PEOPLE, NASTY
    ALSO I CALL TO CONTACT SOME QUESTION WITH TEACHERS, I NEVER CONTACT WITH THEM . I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SCHOOL IS REAL OR FAKE I SCARED BECAUSE I PAY A LOT OF MONEY UNTIL NOW, IT IS SUCH NIGHTMARE, I WOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL

• Pa
      7th of Aug, 2009

ALL E MAIL THE SENT IT, AND THEY SAID ABOUT IS GOOD SCHOOL IS FALSE. PEOPLE FROM PENNFOSTER JUST DID BELIEVE ME .
    I FEEL SORRY THAT KIND OF PEOPLE .

• Li
      3rd of Sep, 2009

For the person who said that Devry and the University of Phoenix are fake schools, they are actually accredited schools! They are not scams! Learn your darn facts first! The College board would not advertise them as a school if they were fake!

As for Penn Foster and Everest, I in my opinion would never go to those schools!

• Pf
      9th of Sep, 2009

I JUST GRADUATED FROM PENN FOSTER LAST MONTH FROM THE MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM AND START MY NEW JOB AT THE SCHOOL DISTRICT IN THE HEALTH OFFICE AT AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AS A "HEALTH ASSISTANT" ON MONDAY...NOW YOU TELL ME IF THEIR ACCREDITED AND REAL??? YA, I BET YOU ALL FEEL STUPID NOW SAYING THEIR FAKE..LOL...I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO GET INTO A GOVERNMENT JOB (YES, THE SCHOOL DISTRICT IS A GOVERNMENT JOB FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DONT KNOW) IN THE STATE OF ARIZONA WITHOUT A CAREER DIPLOMA..

PENN FOSTER ROCKS!!! :) IM PROUD OF MYSELF AND MY ACCOMPLISHMENT..IM A MOTHER OF 2 AT 26 YRS OOLD AND USED MY STAY AT HOME MOM TIME WISELY BY GETTING AN EDUCATION AND PENN FOSTER WAS ABLE TO DO THIS FOR ME..IM VERY GRATEFUL!

• Fu
      16th of Sep, 2009

Very few courses were transferable to or from Penn Foster but I was content with the first program I completed and transferred credits from the local college and went back for a degree program. Unfortunately, the experience was pretty bad the second time around. I was unable to complete the program (which they've now decided to drop--Associate Degree in Computer Science) so they offered an extension for another $75 (after the $875 already paid). They offered later to allow a proctored exam on what I did complete but the process would require an additional $25 proctor application fee. That was two months ago. After 3 emails and four phone calls back and forth with them telling me to finish the course before they will now send the proctored exam (after clearing my check), I have to say this is the most disorganized school I've ever attended. One rep will report my exam is being sent just to get some credit for what was completed but every time I call or email to find out why the exam hasn't arrived, another rep goes around in a circle again with the completion of a course that is inaccessible due to the expiration. I can see why so many people are reporting they are a scam. Sorry, but I agree they are a scam.