Pella Windows & Doors / Bad service

1 102 Main StreetPella, IA, United States Review updated:

Had whole house installed with Pella Impervia double hung windows. Had serious air leakage throughout all of the house windows. After 3 service calls and no answers, all the Pella service manager could tell me was that in thier gaurentee, they have the right to refund my money and walk away. After 4 months of back and forth, I took that option which left me to shop for windows and go through the whole process of instillation again. For referance, I used Gilkey and they are tenfold better than the Pella impervia windows. Beware as this is a cheap product and they are trying to get into the vinyl replacement market with very inferior product.

Va

Comments

9th of Nov, 2008

I too, bought a poor quality product from Pella. A storm door that started rotting out from the inside out. 2 years old, had all the receipts, they sent me a makeshift door worse than the original and charged me $30 freight. The glass was installed wrong and I had to reuse the glass from the existing door. No hardware- I would not recommend this product to anyone! They do not stand behind their product!!

• Ji
      3rd of Jul, 2009

I also wasn't informed about the Impervia... What I found out was this... Fiberglass can and will degrade in Ultraviolet. YOU HAVE TO PAINT/MAINTAIN this product. It is not a maintenance free material. Just look at the cheap sprayed on coating. Boats have expensive gel-gloss coatings that STILL allow cracks to form below when exposed to UV. Also, the weak points are at the corners, because fiberglass cannot be welded, it has to be glued and screwed together, which can lead to the above mentioned air/water infiltration. Thirdly, it is hardly a green product, as it's on the top 10 hazardous materials on OSHA's list, and when it gets warm...oh yes, it does tend to smell... In all reality, it still looks like a cheap vinyl window anyway, with the 45 degree corner bevels and the visible tilt mechanisms...yuck. I miss my old wood windows.

• Ab
      1st of Jul, 2010

I'm sad to say that I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

• Ab
      1st of Jul, 2010

• Gs
      26th of Sep, 2012

Our stroy is simular. As we all know if Pella were providing quality customer service for their shifty product there would be no negative postings on the web. We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!