NewsmaxUnauthorized Subscription Charge

The below email to Newsmax outlines the issue, what I expect from them in to remedy the situation and the action I will take if they do not respond. Fortunately the State of Michigan has an Attorney General's office that takes an active interest in such complaints.
___________
On July 10, 2011 I accepted a trial offer (Order ID # ____; Customer ID #_____) that included the following:

-trail subscription to Newsmax
-trial 3-month subscription to The Dividend Machine
-trial 2-month subscription to Financial Intelligence Report
-copy of the book Money Mischief for $4.95

Sometime after I placed this order I received a mailing indicating that within 6 to 8 weeks of the order I would receive my first issue of the trial subscriptions.

I have yet to receive a trial copy of The Dividend Machine. I received, last week, a first copy of the Financial Intelligence Report. Much to my distress I also discovered I have been charged $99.00 for the Financial Intelligence Report. This is supposed to be a trial subscription yet my credit card account was charged the $99.00 nearly one week before I received the first copy of the supposed trial offer.

Documentation I received from Newsmax stated "A month before your trial subscription will expire we'll kindly send you a renewal notice making you aware that your subscription will renew automatically. Of course, if you decide you do not wish to continue your subscription, simply write "cancel" on the renewal notice and mail back."

No trial subscription has yet started (other than Newsmax magazine itself for which I have received two copies), I have received no such renewal notices that would offer me the opportunity to respond as you described in your mailings.

This leads me to believe that Newsmax's offer is nothing more than a fraudulent scam to induce individuals into subscriptions that they ultimately may not desire to maintain.

In order to remedy this belief I expect the following:

1. The $99.00 charge to my credit card is to be credited back. The trial subscription to both the Financial Intelligence Report
and the The Dividend Machine are to be cancelled and there are to be no further charges to my credit card for these publications.
2. I receive no further issues of Newsmax nor any further email notices. My credit card is not to be charged for any subscription amount.
3. I will return the copy of "Money Mischief, for which I paid $4.95. I should note that this book is available at Amazon for $7.98 and eBay for $11.00 and there is a free download also available on the internet. I will also return my two copies of Newsmax and the first copy of the Financial Intelligence Report that I received last week.

I am deeply disappointed and angered by such a scam offered by what is alleged to be a reliable and respected conservative news source.

Failure to accept this offer or respond, in any way to this email, will result in my turning this matter over to the Attorney General's office for the State of Michigan

Regretfully,
R, . Brown

Br

Comments

• Cs
      Oct 31, 2011

As part of the Newsmax customer service team I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. We take these types of situations seriously. We have long maintained an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you would, please call [protected] [Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm ET] or email us at [protected]@newsmax.com. We would be happy to fix any problem you have and assist you in any way. Thank you.

• Yo
      Feb 03, 2013
    Newsmax - Spam
    Newsmax

I received an email pretending to be from an online news source that I use, but when I clicked the link I was subscribed to Newsmax. Now I've unsubscribed once a day for the past week, but the volume of spam has increased.

• Pa
      Feb 03, 2013

on a sunday i need to relax i really dont like portfolio assosiates recovery calling my house everyday and asking me for money.please do your annoying business of caling somewere else.i feel really harrastment from your company, i really wanna call the police and really put a little presure on you.dont call my home on a sunday. thank you and good luck to your company p.s. get a real job.

• Sl
      Jan 15, 2014

Hello, I posted on 12/21 concerning funds deducted from my account from Newsmax. I would like to report that Newsmax did refund my money as promised and within the three days. However, they sent a very confusing email; if you don't read the fine lines or maybe not accustomed to emails that could be fraudulent you may end up signing up for this product again.The email subject heading states: "CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION; PLEASE RESPOND". This is deceptive and gives the impression that you must "click" to confirm your cancellation. When you click, there is no "conformation" to click. The only thing you can do here is click to SUBSCRIBE or RE-SUBSCRIBE TO THIS SERVICE! I don't know if anyone else can confirm what I am saying, if so please help inform other readers. I would like to comment that I received professional service on the phone and Newsmax did not hesitate and did honor their word. Nevertheless, I am very disappointed that this company feels they have to use these types of methods to secure customers. I will hope that this will change in the near future. Lesson Taught: Buyer Beware!:)