Newsmax — Unauthorized Subscription Charge
The below email to Newsmax outlines the issue, what I expect from them in to remedy the situation and the action I will take if they do not respond. Fortunately the State of Michigan has an Attorney General's office that takes an active interest in such complaints.
On July 10, 2011 I accepted a trial offer (Order ID # ____; Customer ID #_____) that included the following:
-trail subscription to Newsmax
-trial 3-month subscription to The Dividend Machine
-trial 2-month subscription to Financial Intelligence Report
-copy of the book Money Mischief for $4.95
Sometime after I placed this order I received a mailing indicating that within 6 to 8 weeks of the order I would receive my first issue of the trial subscriptions.
I have yet to receive a trial copy of The Dividend Machine. I received, last week, a first copy of the Financial Intelligence Report. Much to my distress I also discovered I have been charged $99.00 for the Financial Intelligence Report. This is supposed to be a trial subscription yet my credit card account was charged the $99.00 nearly one week before I received the first copy of the supposed trial offer.
Documentation I received from Newsmax stated "A month before your trial subscription will expire we'll kindly send you a renewal notice making you aware that your subscription will renew automatically. Of course, if you decide you do not wish to continue your subscription, simply write "cancel" on the renewal notice and mail back."
No trial subscription has yet started (other than Newsmax magazine itself for which I have received two copies), I have received no such renewal notices that would offer me the opportunity to respond as you described in your mailings.
This leads me to believe that Newsmax's offer is nothing more than a fraudulent scam to induce individuals into subscriptions that they ultimately may not desire to maintain.
In order to remedy this belief I expect the following:
1. The $99.00 charge to my credit card is to be credited back. The trial subscription to both the Financial Intelligence Report
and the The Dividend Machine are to be cancelled and there are to be no further charges to my credit card for these publications.
2. I receive no further issues of Newsmax nor any further email notices. My credit card is not to be charged for any subscription amount.
3. I will return the copy of "Money Mischief, for which I paid $4.95. I should note that this book is available at Amazon for $7.98 and eBay for $11.00 and there is a free download also available on the internet. I will also return my two copies of Newsmax and the first copy of the Financial Intelligence Report that I received last week.
I am deeply disappointed and angered by such a scam offered by what is alleged to be a reliable and respected conservative news source.
Failure to accept this offer or respond, in any way to this email, will result in my turning this matter over to the Attorney General's office for the State of Michigan
R, . Brown
More Newsmax Complaints & Reviews
- Newsmax* Franklin Report - Unauthorized subscription charge 
- Newsmax.com - They specialize in spam 
- NMX*NEWSMAX MAGAZINE - unauthorized automatic renewal 
- Newsmax - Won't unsubscribe 
- Newsmax.com - More people should file official complaints about Newsmax.com 
- Newsmax.com - Stay away from this website
- Newsmax - I had canceled the thing, charged anyway 
- Newsmax Media - Unethical news service.
- Newsmax Aftershock - Unauthorized Credit Card Charge
- Newsmax Media - many different products