Newegg.com / Viewsonic / I will never make that mistake again

On May 10, 2006 I purchased a ViewSonic VX922 LCD monitor from NewEgg.com. The monitor arrived in a couple of days, where it worked fine with only one dead pixel. Around June 20th, 2006 the monitor suddenly started having a severe ghosting problem. The screen looked as though two images were superimposed over one another. The flicker became so bad that the monitor was basically unusable.

I called ViewSonic the night of June 20th to explain what was wrong. The person I talked with was very helpful, even walking me through some diagnostic steps to make sure that it really was a monitor problem. Once he had determined in fact the monitor was bad, I was issued an RMA number. At that time I was told to fax in the following items:

1. Advanced Replacement Policy – this contained the RMA number as well as my credit card information that was needed as collateral information in case I failed to return the monitor.

2. Supplement for Plasma Transport

3. Copy of my NewEgg.com invoice.

This is the response I received the next day:

We do not currently have your product in stock so we will be unable to process your advanced replacement.

Your RMA has been processed.

We will replace the product within 7-14 bussiness days of our receiving it.

Please return the product to us with the RMA number displayed on 2 sides of the box to:

MiTac USA,Inc.

47988 Freemont Blvd

Freemont, CA 91745

Please remove all of your personal effects from the product as well.

If you have any questions please contact us at [protected].

Thomas A.

Viewsonic

(The spelling errors in the above email are from ViewSonic – the above is that exact email I received)

I finally called ViewSonic back to see if they could give me an estimated date when they would have the monitor back in stock. At this point I was told they had no idea. My first question was how come every retail outlet around seems to have them in stock, but the manufacturer doesn’t seem to have any. The response was “I only work in customer support”. I next asked if they are out of stock of this monitor because so many of them have been defective. Again, the answer was “I only work in customer support”. My final question was how do I go about getting a refund so that I can go to the store, and buy a monitor that works. You guessed it, the response was (no joke) “I can’t answer that; I only work in customer support”.

After seeing that others have had the same exact response as mine, I’ve come to the conclusion that ViewSonic has no intent of honoring their 48-hour guaranteed replacement policy. I thought between NewEgg.com and ViewSonic that I would never have this kind of problem. I posted my review of this monitor on the NewEgg.com site, but they failed to approve it, so it was never posted (which explains why all of the reviews are always so good – I guess they don’t approve the bad ones).

Basically, if you purchase a monitor made by ViewSonic from NewEgg.com, you are out of luck when it comes to any type of customer service. My advice is to stay the heck away from ViewSonic products. I don’t judge a company based on whether or not an item is defective or not, but on how well they respond to problems. Before this purchase, I thought ViewSonic was a reputable company that stood behind their products, but I will never make that mistake again.

Since I had to give ViewSonic my credit card information at the beginning of this mess, I will be filing a formal complaint with the Florida States Attorneys Office for consumer fraud if any charges are placed on my card before a replacement monitor is shipped.

Regards,

Norm

Comments

• Va
      5th of Feb, 2007

Newegg.com has good prices. You just have to find the right deal. I have not had any problems with newegg.com. Orders are processed and shipped in a timely manner with tracking information sent to you. I will continue to order from them as long as I can find the right deals.