New York Times delivery / consistently missed papers

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

I'm a long time subscriber, never had any problems, but for the past while the delivery service has been missing my apartment far too frequently. Also other errors like leaving papers at my door after I've notified that I'll be on vacation. I'm on the phone with the nytimes what seems like every few weeks reporting problems, chiefly missed papers.

A few weeks ago I was told that the distribution manager would call me back to try to fix this, never heard from him/her.

Yesterday we reached new lows. No delivery at all in the morning. I called and was assured of a replacement. Nothing arrived. So I called again and after apologies was promised the full replacement would arrive this morning. Of course not today either.

The impression created is that the nytimes has given up on its print version circulation, doesn't care about customer service anymore.

Comments

• St
      20th of Nov, 2010

TOTAL AGREEMENT: Today's excuse was:

YOUR PAPER WILL NOT BE DELIVERED DUE TO PRODUCTION DIFFICULTIES. YOUR COMPLAINT IS NOTED"

Verbaitm.

TET, all of my neighbors who are 7 Day A Week subscribers got theirs.

They are obvious;ly squeezing out the marginal or even all print edition consumers, one by one.

• Ca
      27th of Feb, 2011

Where's my paper???

• Rr
      26th of Apr, 2015

For the third consecutive week my NYT Sunday Times was: not delivered on Sunday .. received one on Monday which in my opinion is not a Sunday paper when delivered on a Monday (2wks ago) ; delivered 5 hours late after I drove 5 miles to purchase one from mini-market (1 wk ago); Not yet delivered today 4/26/2015 A.D. 1:07 PM EST. I complained online each time and never received an explanation. I submitted the above today followed by "WTF??? I have an intense desire to know why this is happening" . Not that I expect either a reply or a satisfactory reply . Will follow up Monday.

RRA

18th of Jun, 2017

I have been in almost constant communication with the NyT about delivery problems for the past month or more. It is inconceivable to me that they are unable to provide reliable service. This is contempt for consumers and makes me furious. If anyone knows how to have any impact on this, please share. Also, those cute Xmas cards from delivery people - the ones with return envelopes to send money- must be frauds. I don't believe that there is a an assigned delivery person or someone would be able to contact them.

• Al
      28th of Sep, 2017

There are real delivery people; we see them as we wait forlornly outside our door in the early am waiting for our missing papers. They are very nice & we have been known to use the cute & even not so cute xmas cards to send them $$ at the holidays. We have no solution & be assured we are equally annoyed. Sometimes we even get a partial paper missing some parts but with seemingly no rhyme nor reason as to which parts. All we can say is NOT to bother calling the main offices in wherever they are in the country about a missing anything in NYC because as nice as they are on the phone, they have literally zero knowledge about NYC home delivery. Good luck to us all. I can't believe that the issue would be actual contempt for the longtime print subscribers (as we are as well) but I understand first hand how it might really feel that way day after day to all of us

• Ra
      22nd of Oct, 2017

Resubscribed, as I do for the Sunday NYT in the fall of each year. No paper on the first Sunday. Cognizant of the non-delivery issues of prior years, I cancelled. The STS Customer Care office, whatever that is, contacted me and extended the discount rate period by 2 weeks. They guaranteed delivery on the second week. Surprisingly, again no paper delivered. I was a paper boy as a youngster. If I was this incompetent, I would have been sacked by the newspaper and would have to explain to my parents why I was not smart enough to complete a simple task. I assume the "delivery person" has no such concerns.

• La
      30th of Mar, 2018

I subscribed 6 months ago for my Husbands birthday and I have yet to receive ONE paper. We have called multiple times and no one has provided any clear answer as to why our papers are not being delivered. Also, I am still being charged after they said they canceled delivery & refunded my payments over 4 months ago. I am still getting charged on my credit card 6 months later for paper delivery. I live just north of San Francisco, one of the largest cities in America. You'd think they would be able to #1. delivery the paper #2. cancel payments since the NYT is one of the largest new papers in America. Makes you wonder if the company is going under... From doing research, it's nice to see that a lot of people are still getting the actual paper and not choosing the digital route. So with that being said, NY Times paper industry is still being highly supported from us, so why cant they figure their stuff out?? Very frustrated to say the least and hugely disappointed in this company...

Also, my family has been a huge supporter of the NYT for over 45 years, and due to this they chose to cancel their paper delivery (in Santa Barbara) as they don't want to keep supporting such a dysfunctional company.

• La
      3rd of Jul, 2018

I have been a seven day a week subscriber for over a year. Recently I have had major delivery issues.
    The record:
    1. paper is frequently missing
    2 promised replacement papers have NEVER been delivered( EVER)
    3 promised phone calls from local representatives have not materialized
    4 I have been told that my complaints have gone to the "highest levels" .. a number of times.. no action

I am using my experiences with the NY Times as a case study on how not to be a " world class company"
    Larry G. 7/3/2018
    I agree with others, the times wishes to exit the print paper, they simply do not have the managerial expertise to do. so

• Se
      9th of Jul, 2018

I made an address change on 3/31 - The next week during a snow storm I got the paper. I figured WOW this is impressive -

Sunday Edition Only
    05/05 - No papper
    05/12 - 05/17 suspended (out of town)
    Missed 3X of June
    Missed first all weeks so far

As of right now I have a $41.04 - I'll take that in cash please