Nationwide Insurance / unethical

1 5970 fairview RdCharlotte, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 704-913-5707

Nationwide is on THEIR side …not yours

Where do I begin? On September 9th, 2010 my brand new Mercedes 350E with approximately 500 miles on it was hit by an insured of Nationwide Insurance Company. The details of the accident are that I was headed toward the city of Charlotte on South Blvd when the insured exited a shopping center parking lot striking my bumper on the passenger side of my vehicle. The police were called and a report was filed. The driver of the other vehicle stated to the police that he misjudged the distance exiting the parking lot and struck my vehicle.
Immediately after the accident I took my vehicle to a certified Mercedes body shop for an estimate of damage. It turned out that my car needed a replacement bumper; minor structure repair to an area behind the bumper; replacement of a muffler heat shield and some paint around the same area. A report was also given to Nationwide which paid the repairs with no problems. However, there were problems immediately afterwards!!!
In the state of North Carolina a party is permitted to collect for diminutive value of their vehicle if they had no liability in the accident which I did not. So after the repairs were made I took my vehicle to three different dealers advising them that I wanted to trade my car and how much it was worth in trade. The figures were astounding…between $33, 000 and $38, 000 which represented between $7, 000 – $13, 000 in lost value from a non-hit car. The reason for the reduction was that my car could no longer be sold as a certified used car and was thus not eligible for the 100, 000 mile used car warrantee that many dealers provide. The damage is now a matter of record since it is listed on the Carfax system. I also supplied the insurance company with current data from Manheim auto auction; The auto bluebook and the NADA book to support my request for my claim.
How much did Natiowide offer…are you ready for this…$500.00 by their adjuster Joe B. in their Fairview office. I went ballistic..this was a shear insult to my intelligence.
After many weeks of discussion they decided to have an appraisal completed by a fee paid appraise from Raleigh. Now keep in mind that this appraiser was paid by them and does a great deal of his business representing insurance companies. Who do you think he will favor in his opinion? (Because they had one I too decided to get one performed from an appraisal company and that came in at over $13, 000).
When the insurance company gave me the written report it was one page with no support for his findings while my was a 20 page report with back-up data. All their report said was “in my opinion” with no supporting data. When I asked Joe for the backup data all he said was “that is the full report”. I then asked that he then request additional data he again said “that is the full report”. (I have this on tape by the way).
In the meantime since I told Joe that I had an appraisal he asked for a copy of mine. Since, as I stated, mine had all sorts of supporting data and his did not I gave him just the summary page without data…the same kind he gave me. He then demanded the whole report and I advised him that it would be forwarded to him when I got like data. Thus far I have nothing more from him nor him from me .So as of now we are at a standstill with no resolution.
I also tried to contact the executive offices in Columbus, Ohio and all I can say is “lots of luck”. This company has no concern for the general public whatsoever. I did contact several company Board of Directors ( I was able to ascertain their home/work numbers) but only 1 would return my call.
This company does not care about anything but Nationwide and ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE!!! Even the slogan that the adjuster has on his email which appears after his name says it all. It states >>>”Nationwide on your side….begins with me”. It’s all about them!!!

Comments

• Re

Mellen,

No I do have insurance and do not believe I siad that. However, because I was hit by an insured person my uninsured mortorist is not a factor. It is a state statue that says I entitled to Diminished value by the insured.
    Yes, the dealers specifically said that the reduced value was due to the accident and I have that in writing. In fact I have all the facts described in writing.

Mellen,

I re-read my original post and what you interpreted incorrectly was the part where I said I had no liability. I meant that I was not at fault in the accident...it was all of their drivers fault...and thus "no liability". I did not mean liability insurance.

mellen,

Apparently I was writing my last post while you were writing and we cross paths. Yes you last post was correct.

6th of Dec, 2010

Addition to my original text
    By the way, after nationwide got their 1000.00 aprraisal by their appraiser Joe B did offer that amount but it is still a far cry form the amount I have lost. I am still waiting for the data on how their appraiser arrived at the figures but I know that will never come because he has none.