Menards / awful treatment

I work at Menards. The way they treat their employees is absolutely awful. It's no wonder that their is a work shortage in this corporation. I know many part time employees that work at least 70 hours a week. Managers are apathetic to the feelings of their employees. An example being when a department manager walks outside to find a product for a guest, only to leave a new employee at the desk by himself totally overwhelmed. The verbal abuse from customers also goes unchecked. The work is not matched by the pay received. If you plan on working at a Menards retail store, this is a warning that they cover up the true image of the franchise with benefits. I have yet to see a penny of my 500 dollar sign on bonus.

Va

Comments

• Me
      15th of Jul, 2008

Menards does not have sign on bonuses, you are a lying. What is the truth?

• Fo
      10th of Dec, 2008

Masterforce you must be one of those ### employees or managers that can not get a job anywhere else, because you must be an idiot...Menards is a horrible company to work for. Menards gets rich hiring ignorant individuals like you. Masterforce...little insecure???? DUH!!!

• Lo
      26th of Feb, 2009

Former Slave, instead of insulting someone with a job maybe you should think about getting one. Your the person who believes everyone owes you something. New flash your an idiot! Menards does not give sign on bonuses. Why pay someone for something that you are giving them. DUH!! So call McDonalds back and see if you got that job running the window, where you can cry about how bad that job is.

• Mc
      2nd of Dec, 2016

@LockJawCowboy I've read some of your other comments and you make me laugh. I get tired of people like you who use the get a job or the lazy worker card when someone complains about their job. News flash your the one that is the idiot that thinks Menards is greatest job out there. I'm guessing your one of the lazy workers and suck-ups to management who are too lazy to find a worthwhile career. The truth is that Menards is the most disorganized and unprofessional place I have ever worked at! They allow blatant examples of favoritism and verbal abuse from co-workers and customers. Why don't you stop insulting people about their working experience at Menards and find a "grown-up" career. My company I work for now is a complete 180 of this place.

• Bi
      18th of Aug, 2009

menards is not the best place to work, but there is no sign on bonus. WTF its not the NBA you lying idiot.

8th of Sep, 2009

Ive been with Menards for over 5 years now and have been nothing but happy with my job. Menards has had its poor days but what job doesnt have "one of those days". Im not doubting your opinion what so ever but I highly doubt part time team members are hitting 70 hour work weeks. Im a department manager and I barely hit 50-55. I dont know a lot about the Menards corporate office but at my store, its a great place to work!

21st of Sep, 2009

I worked for Menards for almost 5 years, it was a happy experience overall. I have never heard of a "sign-on bonus" even being offered. If you work the long hours, you get paid a decent paycheck. I consistently worked about 50 hours per week, nice overtime checks. Got extra $$ to work on weekends, too. Good bonuses also. Most people I worked with had little or not experience beforehand, but they have a good training program. No where else can you make that kind of money with no experience or college degree. I always felt like we treated out customers like we wanted to be treated ourselves, but obviously you can't please everyone.
    What "franchise" are you talking about? This is a company-owned store. There are no franchises. You must be mistaking this for McDonald's.

• Do
      22nd of Sep, 2009

Yeah menards base pay is ok for a person who is in college. The bonus or overtime pay is a joke and most of all the management is a joke. To me it seems they have poor managment from some of the decisions and ways they problemsolve and do things. Half of the managment in this company dont even have a college degree and for them to call the shots and problemsolve... I think a kid in high school could perform better. Only the people that dont go to college and get into managment think its a great place. They have no training in how to make things work in a business. As for employee rights I think they break that all the time. Makeing a part-time employee work over 40hr a week 11hr a day... yeah ok give us some full time pay.

• Bo
      5th of Dec, 2009

Ill be completely honest here, The menard's i worked for was great till the change in management. which lead to a new manager from out of town, not knowing any of his employees marches in and states im not here to push a broom or help you but here to guide you. that makes since and all but if I'm standing there with a Thousand dollar door, glass panels and your the store manager and the only other person around. you don't stand there and watch me struggle, you come help me so you don't have a mess or paper work to do later. With my new found hate for the new store manager i found myself in a dilema facing a bad untrained staff and myself with being part time and them trying to overrule my work availability with school. they attempted to schedule me over my school hours and as well tried to write and fire a lot of us for our availability. instead of just hiring more people which they said was out of the question. By the way what i mean by untrained is my first day and from about every employee on is i got to job day with no experience with a forklift and i was told to get on it drive back and forth and i was done.
    giving every answer to all the writing test and the video test as well. it was basically like having my cheat sheet under my desk at school but in plain sight.

• Ob
      18th of Dec, 2009

Menards is a great place to work for if you have common sense and a good work ethic. All of the complainers are lazy, only-childs who are used to getting their own way.

• Mc
      2nd of Jan, 2017

@obf LOL! You must be delusional if you think Menards is a good play to work for. Is that all you supporters of employment at Menards have to use as a rebuttal is the old get a job or work ethic card? This is why Menards is not allowed to change for the better, because you people just stick your head in the sand when confronted with this. Don't be fooled by people like obf that say Menards is a good place to work for. obf, why don't you find a "grown-up" career if your such a great worker. In truth, Menards is a "dead-end job" and not an employee friendly place. Thank goodness I got a college degree. The company I work for now is complete 180 of this place.

28th of Nov, 2010

to the last response of all complainers are lazy, i was just hired an i worked my tail off this wkend and I have an issue with another higher employee who is favored by a manager and gets away with crap. I confronted him this morning and he went to that mnger, i was sent to the office, cut my finger later and he wouldnt find me a bandaid or nothing, pretty much ignored me most of my shift! Our store managers and dept managers work their tails off, I love working with people but I agree some mngment don't care and it is sad to read some of these blogs... I am a hard worker, but there are little things that when u are new you have to watch who toes you step on so you dont go to the office.

• Th
      11th of Feb, 2011

You can get ahead at Menards - IF you are willing to be a corporate slave. If you are willing to take crap from 'guests' and management alike. If you are willing to do WHATEVER they tell you, even if it's harmful to your health. Like lifting things that you say are too heavy, working outside in the hot summer or cold winter without proper breaks. Being willing to be thrown in whatever department they decide they want you in. (like you're hired for Wallcoverings and they move you to Hardware) You have to watch who you talk to and don't talk to and heaven forbid you express your 'disagreement' with anyone above your head. They will find a way to use it against you. They will sometimes mess with your schedule just so you will get write ups and too many write ups = fired.
    It may be like that with every 'corporate' business, this is the only I ever worked for.

26th of Feb, 2011

when walmart has misprints in their ads they post the bulletin as soon as you walk in the store, they dont sell the product at the wrong price. get over it.

• De
      8th of Oct, 2012

I have worked at the Moline Menards for the last five years under two GM's. The job is a piece of cake if your willing to learn what the products you are selling do. This way the guests wont think you are a dummy. I also have never heard of a "signing bonus". This is not the NFL. Sure, the pay is not the greatest ever but there is a weekend premiun pay bonus and if you worrk 1000 hour in the calender year you are eligible for IPS (instant profit sharring). Plus, they department managers have you fill out an avalibility sheet when you start working so they know when and when you cannot work. So, either you are a liarface or your manager was a dick.

• Fr
      28th of Oct, 2014

To all the people saying were lazy and have no work ethics. Screw you and get a life!!! Retail is one of the worst jobs out there. Why don't you find a real, more skilled job that you actually have to work hard at (I have one with my college degree) in the real world outside of retail. Oh wait, you can't. Sucks to be you guys. That's why you people think its the greatest job out there. News flash, Menards sucks to work for and is the typical dead end job unless your in corporate. They use IPS and just enough benefits to lure unsuspecting people in, but it doesn't make up for the lack of perks and pay for the work done, no work/life balance, and the crap up you have to put up with daily there from rude customers and clueless co-workers/bosses. All there pay and benefits don't make up for that. Management is a joke and most are unqualified for the position. Alot of them have no idea how to run a business, lack professionalism, micromanage, and they don't appreciate their employees hard work. If your a good worker like me, it seems management wants you there during all hours of operation until you feel like your practically living out of your car as if you don't have a anything else going on in your life such as taking care of a home, family, etc. The hard worker never gets appreciated or feels a sense of accomplishment, and we get the rath of the GM's when things are not done right by others, because they know we will pick up the slack of the real lazy workers. The hard worker is the pack mule for this place since alot of workers are incompantant. The benefits Menards gives full timers are laughable, especially your health insurance coverage/cost and vacation days intially. Seriously, why do you have to wait a year to get vacation days and no sick days? Do you think people never get sick or get burnt out? Really, good companies know workers need a break once in a while and offer some sick days! This is why you guys have such high turnover. This place is a joke and is ran by a bunch of greedy heartless people who don't value their employees hard work they do for them and don't give them proper compansion/benefits and rest. Stay clear of working here! I get payed more and better benefits, treated with diginity, and have a work/life balance at my current job working 40-45 hours every week Monday-Friday.

• Fr
      30th of Oct, 2014

Also, Menards doesn't have a signing bonus. This isn't the military or professional sports. If they have one, its probably for corporate or manager positions not for full time or part time positions. So, we have no clue on what your talking about.