Medshield / Don't believe what the call center tells you

1 United States

I needed to switch my husband to the main member as I had changed companies and was required to leave my current medical aid if I was the main member. I did not want to leave Medshield, so we decided to simply switch the main member. BIG MISTAKE!

It took many phone calls and emails to medshield before I got the correct information from Medshield around the process for switching the member and the dependant and when we finally had everything in place I called to confirm that the current benefits would be transferred and not forfeited. I was guaranteed that this was the case as it was simply a member switch and not a whole new application. I phoned today to be told that it is a medical scheme rule that benefits get forfeited when a member switch is done. I now have been told to write a letter to the Medshield management to request they review my case, probably another waste of time. They are quick to offer advice as experts, but don't have the authority to act on issues caused by their advice. R15000 for 2 doctors visits and a handful of medication! And the funny thing is I am still the one paying them!