Matchmaker International / matchmaker scam artists!

Matchmaker Int'l totally sucks! I see by other posts, a lot of people think so too! First, I was guilted or more like bullied by the owner's son into doing it. Instead of the $2500 I was supposed to pay he gave me a deal of $1500 he said and was going to take it out in monthly payments of $182. I said um hello that would be $2000. He quickly got mad and refigured it to $124 and politely told me not to tell the "gentleman" I didn't have to pay full price. Anyway Shane said "you'll never get a man who needs $20 for gas money for this service." Well the first referral I got, the man said he didn't like to spend money on movies because they are $8.50 you know. I said "and how many thousands of dollars did you pay for this service?" Anyway, the second referral was even worse. I asked for a professional man and all I got was a rodeo rider. He claimed to be 5'8" but he's more like 5'4" and I towered over him at 5'7." Yes it was a riveting redneck conversation of horses bucking and dying. I forgot to mention in my last post that this man got up and left during our date. I called Matchmaker and said my God I have 2 master's degrees, why would I be interested in a 2 digit midget rodeo rider? I could pick up a man off the street better than these guys and it would be free! Needless to say they would not stop debiting my payments and I am stuck with this crap for a year. Matchmaker is mean and evil and the guy who runs it claims hes' such a good Christian and a Deacon. They even have a bible as a prop up in front. His sons work for him and they all are married but are the most feminine men ever. They make Boy George look like a bruiser. A word to the wise, these people are scam artists from the word go! They pray on lonely people and send the most crappiest matches ever, they don't care, they think they are fulfilling their obligation by giving you quantity. NOT QUALITY.

Comments

• Ka
      14th of Sep, 2007

I forgot to mention this was in KNOXVILLE TN!

• Wa
      22nd of Sep, 2007

What a nasty post...... I can understand why someone walked out on your date.

• Rj
      23rd of Sep, 2007

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I have seen several complaints about them online and I was considering getting with them.

25th of Sep, 2007

That sucks that, that happened to you! I know a friend of mine in a different state that used MatchMaker and actually found someone.... they are run like a franchise... too bad you can't move and get something for your money!

3rd of Oct, 2007

Mike if you were spending the kind of time and money we paid you would feel that way too. He walked out because I told him 40 years old was too old to breed a horse and it wasn't fair to do that especially since the baby and the mare died. And I know a little something about horses, I have a 32 year old Arabian and used to show horses. I actually think Mike that you might be the Mike Hollifield who owns Matchmaker Int'l in Knoxville. Are you?

12th of Nov, 2007
    matchmakerinternational - Unprofessionalism
    www.matchmakerinternational.com

The manager of the Fort Wayne Matchmaker International Dating Service was very unprofessional when I attempted to discuss my dating situation with her. She was incredibly rude and yelled at me at length on the telephone. I will be unable to deal with this person in the future.

16th of Nov, 2007

To bad you did not stick it out with a more positive attitude. I am a member in the Chattanooga Tennessee office and I am on hold with a great guy who I know will be my future husband. All you have to do is just keep a positive attitude and keep in contact with your matchers and all will work out.

• St
      23rd of Nov, 2007

I'm a former member of Matchmaker International in Johnson City, TN which is also owned by Mr. Hollifield. I have found Mike to be a man of his word. If it wasn't for this service I would not have my son or my wonderful wife of five years. In my personal opinion I think that you might have jumped the gun. I too had a bad start with Matchmaker International the first four dates were nothing like I expected. I called and was absolutely livid because of the start. Mr. Hollifield told me to have faith, keep a positive attitude. The next date I went out on was more than I ever could have expected! From there i went on two more dates but kept seeing "number 5" and now we are married with a precious 2 year old. I hate the service didn't work for you, but there is no price I could put on what I have now. As far as the bible being a "prop up" if thats your opinion so be it. I actually was in Oak Ridge on a business trip to ORNL, and decided i wanted to see what kind of Christian he truly is. I went to his church, New Beverly Baptist, and he was doing the annoucements, his wife was in the choir, and his son is an usher. I had a great time in fellowship with them and just praising the name of Jesus Christ. So I think before you attack someone's character and religious values maybe you should investigate them a little further before making prejudgements and assumptions.

19th of Dec, 2007

I had dealings with his son Scott Mostly. He is the one who told me he would walk up and put his hand on the bible. But when you take someone's money and make false promises, it's not very "Christian." I should have left when I told him I wasn't sure about the service and he yelled at me. Read other posts about the service, they may have not been from Knoxville, but trust me it's a scam just the same. Also, there are 4 complaints filed against them on the better business website for Knoxville. Please go look at that.

19th of Dec, 2007

Do you ever watch Court TV? There have been stories or Rabbi's cheating and then killing their wives, then there is Jim Baker and his cheating and stealing from the church. Then there is that preacher that lived outside of Crossville who abused his wife and made her dress up like a prostitute so she killed him. How about the Catholic Church and the many priests who have been convicted of child molestation. Going to church, being an usher, being in the choir, or leading a service does not make you on the up and up. Please take those blinders off.

2nd of Feb, 2008

IF YOU ARE CONTACTED BY MATCHMAKER INTERNATIONAL TRYING TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT FOR YOU TO COME TO THEIR OFFICE FOR AN INTERVIEW...HANG UP!!! THIS COMPANY IS A FULL BLOWN SCAM. THEY BAIT PEOPLE IN WHO HAVE USED AN ONLINE DATING SITE, OR WENT TO ONE OF THE AREA WEBSITES (THERE ARE SIGNS POSTED IN THE GROUND) DEPENDING ON THE AREA YOU LIVE IN. ONCE THEY GET YOU IN THE DOOR THEY WILL TRY TO CHARGE YOU $2500 TO $10,000 FOR A MEMBERSHIP. YOU WILL NOT BE MATCHED WITH QUALITY PEOPLE AS THEY CLAIM, BUT RATHER THE SAME PEOPLE YOU COULD MATCH YOURSELF WITH. THESE PEOPLE ARE RUNNING THIS SCAM IN SEVERAL STATES AND HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS. THEY ARE A MEMBER OF THE BBB, WHOM THEY HAVE IN THEIR POCKET, ONCE A BBB COMPLAINT IS ESTABLISHED IT IS QUICKLY SWEPT UNDER THE RUG. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM OR YOU WILL BE OUT SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR NOTHING.
    I AM NOT NOW NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A CLIENT, I WAS THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR!!! THEY RUN YOUR CREDIT TO SEE HOW MUCH IF ANY YOU HAVE ON CREDIT CARDS THEN THEY ASK YOU WHAT IS IN YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT, THEY WANT IT ALL AND THIS IS HOW THEY SIZE YOU UP SO THEY KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY THEY CAN GET FROM YOU. THEN AFTER YOU BECOME A MEMBER, BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO SEEYOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED, THEY CALL YOU TO "UP-GRADE" YOUR MEMBERSHIP FOR EVEN MORE MONEY. I HAVE ENCLOSED THE UP-GRADE SCRIPT.

UPGRADE SCRIPT

HI (NAME), IM SO GLAD I GOT A HOLD OF YOU!
    I JUST HAD A MAN OF WOMEN CALL AND TELL ME
    THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED THROUGH US AND HE
    OR SHE WANTS TO SELL THEIR EXECUTIVE PROGRAM
    FOR ONLY _________!!! THIS IS A 5,000 DOLLAR MEMBERSHIP WHICH INCLUDES ____________. YOU WOULD REALLY BENEFIT FROM IT. I HAVE SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE WHO WOULD WANT IT BUT JANE OR JENNIFER TOLD ME TO CALL YOU FIRST BECAUSE THEY KNOW YOU WILL WANT IT! WE CAN RUN IT ON THE CREDIT CARD YOU PAID WITH IF YOU LIKE!

TIPS FOR UPGRADING:
    ALWAYS SOUND SUPER EXCITED ON THE PHONE
    NEVER LET SOMEONE “THINK ABOUT” IT- TELL THEM YOU HAVE OTHERS WHO WANT IT
    MAKE THEM FEEL OBLIGATED TO DO IT BECAUSE JANE OR JENNIFER THOUGHT OF THEM FIRST
    GET A CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD BY PHONE- IF THEY ONLY HAVE A CHECK OR CASH- TELL THEM YOU HAVE A FEW LADIES OR GENTLEMEN IN MIND THAT YOU WANT TO SHOW THEM AND GET THEM IN THAT DAY OR OFFER TO MEET THEM SOMEWHERE-IF THEY SAY THEY WILL BE IN THE NEXT DAY-THEY WON’T!
    ALWAYS FEEL OUT AN UPGRADE FORM
    THEY MUST SIGN CC SLIP BY FRIDAY OR NO COMMISSION- YOU CAN MEET THEM, FAX IT TO THEM, WHATEVER IT TAKES!
    ALWAYS START PRICE HIGH, YOU CAN ALWAYS GO DOWN- IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN’T TALK THEM INTO THE ORIGINAL PRICE, ASK THEM TO COUNTER OFFER, TELL THEM ALL THE LADY OR GENTLEMAN CAN DO IS SAY NO- THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT THEY WILL PAY IF YOU ASK!
    THE LAST VOICE THE CLIENT HEARS BEFORE YOU GET PAID GETS THE COMMISSION- THERE IS NO “ IVE BEEN WORKING ON THAT ONE”
    NO HOLDING ON TO FILES YOUR TRYING TO UPGRADE, EITHER GET IT RIGHT THEN OR IT IS A LOSS
    UPGRADES ARE PART OF YOUR JOB

THE PRESIDENT OF THIS COMPANY IS LOIUS PARAVATE. THE BBB WILL GET YOU NOWHERE AS HE PAYS THEM OFF WHEN THE COMPLAINTS COME IN.

3rd of Feb, 2008

IF YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MMI HERE IS THE PRESIDENT'S NAME AND NUMBER.

LOU PARAVATE 850-572-0155

• Bw
      28th of Feb, 2008

Replying first to Anonymous above who hasn't even got the guts to leave even a part of his name. First, you obviously aren't much of a man to insult women the way you do. Secondly, you probably know NOTHING of the law so who the h*** are you to be lecturing about slander and libel (unless you've had suits brought against you in the past for doing what you accuse others of doing). You don't even know this woman and you call her a fat a** b****. Provided you even have someone in your life, I'd do the Lorena Bobitt on you and cut it off so you couldn't pollute the rest of the world with your idiocy. I and nearly everyone else I know who've used these dating services have had the same or similar experiences. So, you have no right to preach your vile hatred. Your manner is completely immoral, inappropriate, and offensive - to say the least. Why don't YOU help people in Africa instead of presuming to tell everyone else that they're wrong? As for your comment about the date and the conversation about horses, the lady IS right about what she said about breeding; the so-called "expert" couldn't even seem to have a civil conversation about it. What else were they to talk about anyhow? I've never seen a rodeo rider (and there's nothing wrong with them on the whole) but they are seldom educated much above Jr. High level and that's not an appropriate match for someone with multiple degrees. I think even you could possibly grasp that concept, can't you?

29th of Feb, 2008

Mysti I agree with the other person on here that you probably got fired...It sounds like you are very upset about it as well. Don't you have a life? I actually got married through Matchmaker International in Mobile and although I met a few people that I didn't meet again I have to say I met alot of wonderful people.
    Maybe as Program Director you ran your office like that but I know for a fact that the people in the office I joined actually worked hard for me and even tho it's a little steep I would pay 10 times that amount for the person I met through them and married and without them I would have never met them. People pay alot more for silly toys and vehicles that they lose money on. Heck some pay more just to look good and for who if they don't want to find someone special. I think it is a disgrace that you would get on here and badmouth a company that is helping people find their soulmates, ok so maybe a few have a bad experience but in any business that is true. P.S what company doesn't have some sort of a script if they are in sales I get calls all the time from telemarketers and I know they are reading a script.. Big Deal! GET A LIFE! Oh and about the BBB down here they only have 4 in a 12 month period which is really low so if it was a SCAM don't you think it would be more? Slandering Matchmaker and the BBB I hope they sue you.

29th of Feb, 2008

KATHRYN I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED HERE!

(A GROWN WOMAN GUILTED OR BULLIED INTO IT WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY NO AND NOT JOIN IF YOU FELT LIKE YOU WERE BEING BULLIED. )

Instead of the $2500 I was supposed to pay he gave me a deal of $1500
    (HE GAVE YOU A DEAL AND YOUR STILL COMPLAINING SOUNDS SELFISH TO ME...)

(SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE ASKING FOR A MEMBERSHIP AT A LOWER PRICE NOT BEING BULLIED IN FACT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE THE ONE BEING A BULLY.)

(DID THE GUY ASK YOU FOR $20 IN GAS MONEY? JUST BECAUSE HE THINKS THE MOVIE PRICING IS HIGH DOESN'T MEAN HE IS A BAD MAN COME ON NOW!)

(A RODEO RIDER IS STILL A PROFESSION SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE YOU ARE A GOLD DIGGER!)

(HIS PERSONAL CHOICE TO DO SO AND NOT MATCHMAKERS FAULT)

I called Matchmaker and said my God I have 2 master's degrees,
    (SO THAT MAKES YOU BETTER THAN HIM, WHY IS THAT?)

why would I be interested in a 2 digit midget rodeo rider?
    (THAT'S JUST CRUEL)

Matchmaker is mean and evil
    (HMMM SOUNDS LIKEYOU HAVE THIS BACKWARDS)

They make Boy George look like a bruiser.
    (HMMM CRUEL AGAIN)

(YOU CLASS YOUSELF AS WISE AFTER ALL THE CRUELTY YOU PUT ON HERE)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU LADY AND MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO MATCHMAKER AND GET THE CHRISTIAN DEACON TO PRAY FOR YOU!

17th of Mar, 2008

ACTUALLY I WAS NOT FIRED I QUIT BECAUSE IT IS A SCAM AND I RATHER ENJOY BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR, AND LOU PARAVATE IS A SICK SICK ### WHO GETS OFF ON PREYING ON HIS EMPLOYEES. EMPLOYEES 30 YEARS HIS JUNIOR.

EVERYONE ON HERE WHO IS POSTING HOW GREAT THEY ARE... FUNNY, YOU ALL WORK FOR LOU. HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK PEOPLE REALLY ARE? CERTAINLY NOT AS STUPID AS YOU I HOPE! 1 IN MAYBE 500 COUPLES GETS MARRIED THROUGH THIS OPERATION, SO DROP THE B.S..

SUE ME MR. "UNTOUCHABLE" PARAVATE. YOU'VE DONE EVERYTHING ELSE. SEXUAL HARASSMENT, STEALING MY CAR, FILING A FALSE POLICE REPORT TO HAVE ME PUT IN JAIL, THREATENING TO CUT MY THROAT. PLEASE PLEASE SUE ME. I WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO TAKE YOU ON IN A COURT OF LAW. NO ARBITRATION CLAUSE HERE BUDDY!!!

GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE IT WHEN SOMEONE ACTUALLY HAS BALLS ENOUGH TO CALL YOU OUT HUH? SORRY I'M NOT ONE OF YOUR 6 EX-WIVES(THAT USED TO BE YOUR EMPLOYEES) THAT YOU CAN BUY OFF, NICE TRY THOUGH.

• Lo
      3rd of Apr, 2008

Kathryn,

My name is Lou Paravate and I have run the Chattanooga MatchMaker International office for over 20 years. Our local office has been responsible for countless marriages and successful relationships. Our clientele even includes members who have married through our service, lost their spouse to illness and have returned to our membership and married again! We are not affiliated with the Knoxville office, nor are we are aware of any negatives regarding their office. Perhaps you have just not had a successful experience there.

However, if you would provide documentation demonstrating that you are or were a client of the Knoxville office, I would be more than happy to provide a FREE membership to you out of our Chattanooga office in order to demonstrate that MatchMaker International is a quality service that produces results.

However, in as much as there is some distance between the two areas, you would need to be willing to meet gentlemen from the Chattanooga area, which would require travel on the part of you and/or the gentlemen. That being said, if you possess a positive attitude and are patient, I am confident that our service will work for you. If you are interested in accepting my offer, please contact me directly at our corporate mailing address:

MatchMaker International of Chattanooga, Inc.
    PO Box 10426
    Pensacola, FL 32524

Sincerely,

Louis A. Paravate, President
    MatchMaker International of Chattanooga, Inc.

4th of Apr, 2008

LOL Fat and ugly? Wrong again and now I am dating someone not from MMI. I love how when you say something someone doesn't like then their response is the usual " mature, original defense" which is to call someone fat and ugly. You sound like the real winner buddy. Anyway, Mysti is correct in what she is telling you since she worked at that company. But we already knew what she was saying was right. My cousin actually called MMI to see if they were on the up and up and told them he had a record of dui's (he was lying) and Shane at the Knoxville MMI said it doesn't matter as long as he has the money to join. It's funny how they say they do the background checks but will let certain things slide when you have the money.

Oh PS- The Chattanooga Office sent me an email wanting me to try them for free. No thanks. I won't deal with that hell again.

4th of Apr, 2008

Looks like MMI is finally feeling the heat. Wonder if all this should be sent to 20/20 or Dateline.

11th of Apr, 2008

Why Katie... I do believe that 20/20 & Dateline would be very interested in this piece!!! Now the President is offering FREE memberships on this board...I'd say there is some heat indeed. Shall I submit it or would you like the pleasure dear?