Magellan GPS / Broken Accessories and Horrendous Customer Service

NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 914-806-1171
I bought a Roadmate 300. Shortly after using it, the cigarette lighter adaptor broke. I called Magellan technical support and they agreed to replace it at no cost. Unfortunately, their "systems were down" so I was asked to call back a week later for final details. I did so and have called back approximately 8 additional times over the past 3-4 months. Everyime, the technical support representative "promises" I would have the new adaptor within 2-5 business days. Some recent examples: I spoke to a woman named Kate on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. She created a new account # for this case but could not provide me with an RA number "because her software was slow". She "promised" she would call me back the next day with the RA number and that the adaptor would be shipped that week. No call from KAte. The day after Thanksgiving I called back and spoke to someone named Mark. He provided me the RA # (at least Kate did that) and "promised" me the adaptor would be sent out on Monday, Nov 26th and asked me to call back on Tuesday to receive the tracking number. On Tuesday, Nov 27th (today) I called back and spoke to Joshua Martin (I now know I have to get both the first and last name b/c when I asked Joshua to transfer me to Mark, he indicated there were a lot of Mark's there so he could not know which one). Anyway, Joshua indicated "there was an error in my file which he cleared". I asked his what the error was but he would not tell me. Joshua indicated that I would "probably" receive the adaptor in the next couple of days. now that he cleared the error. I asked Joshua to transfer me to the highest ranking person in his group and he indicated that he could not transfer a call but that a supervisor would call me back tomorrow. I have absolutely no expectation that that call will ever come. Completely at wits end, I tried to contact someone at Magellan HQ to see if anyone actually cared. I could not easily speak to a person of note (left a second voicemail for the head of public relations, Raphel Finelli, and unsuccessfully tried to obtain contact info for their CEO, Nathan Chan) but eventually got to someone in product sales support. This person, Vincent Bernard, indicated that the cigarette lighter adaptor was on back order and I would not get one for at least 2 weeks. Obviously, Joshua did not tell me the truth and I have no expectation that I will receive an adaptor within 2-3 weeks. I have never come across an experience like this in the past. I truly believe that the people at Magellan have forgotten that they would not be in business if not for customers. I am hoping this experience strongly discourages anyone from purchasing Magellan products.

Comments

Jo
  29th of Nov, 2007
I have had the same problems with Magellan, TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I also had to make at least a dozen calls to Tech support, in India, and no one wanted to help. I think they read from a script and just want you off the phone, after all they've got your money what do they care. Thankfully I had the foresight to buy a 4 year agreement from the store I bought my Roadmate 6000T from, they gave me a store refund for the full purchase price...I used it to buy a Garmin! Just for the h--- of it I called Garmin and asked where their tech support was, they said in Tenn.. God Bless the USA!!
Je
  2nd of Jan, 2008
To It Many Concern,

I have been systematically ignored for two years.........I wish I NEVER got
your GPS system.
I'm a retired 64 old lady, that has gotten more head aches over your company/product. Not one person has done what was promised.
It has cost me about one thousand dollars ........trying to get this so called lemon of a product to work(WITH NO LUCK).

WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO OLD TIME SERVICE

Teary Eyed Old Lady
Iz
  21st of Sep, 2008
I need Data Cable and PC Cable with Cigarette Lighter Adapter, but on your website I can't to fing closest service for SporTrak handheld GPS.
I am from Poland and city: Koszalin