MagazineCity.com / Fraud

I placed my order for 2 magazines in December, 2008. No magazines were received.

Like the rest of the complaints, the toll-free number is bogus because all calls are placed on hold for several minutes with nice muzak and no customer service ever answers.

I also e-mailed their customer service dept at the address provided. Again, no response.

However, there is a solution. If you call the toll-free number on the back of your credit card, ask for the Fraud Dept. They will intialize a dispute and get a refund for you.

Av

Comments

• Ba
      28th of Feb, 2008
    MagazineCity.com
    N85 W17228 Ann Avenue
    Menomonee Falls
    Wisconsin
    Phone: 262-255-4047

Update:

I filed a complaint with the BBB. Surprise, surprise, there are already over 200 of them. Got my credit card refunded in 8 days! Thank you BBB!

Tom

• Va
      30th of Apr, 2008
    www.magazinecity.net

On December 22, 2007, I ordered a 2 year subscription from MagazineCity, which was to be a Christmas gift. I paid $70+ via VISA. In February when no magazines had been delivered, I followed up via e-mail. They said that sometimes delivery takes a while, and to contact them again at the end of April if nothing received. (December to April is pretty bad, but as long as they get delivered OK.) The end of April has arrived, and still no magazines. I've followed up with 2 more e-mails, and neither one has been acknowledged. I call the 1-800 # provided, but could not get through. I hung up after more than 1/2 hour on hold, without speaking to anyone. Still no magazines. I'm out $70+, and my husband is out a Christmas gift.

• Pr
      4th of Sep, 2008
    www.magazinecity.com

I ordered a magazine called wired for $113 by credit card on 14th Feb 2008 and received auto reply from them saying it will start in 6-8 weeks. But it never happened. I wrote many emails to them but no reply. Magazinecity.com is scam website. Magazinecity.com is cheater company. Beware of this fraud website magazinecity.com and do not carry any transactions on the site.

• Co
      25th of Sep, 2008
    Magazinecity.net
    Canada

Ordered a magazine in Feb 2008; It is now Sept. and nothing came yet. Called the company millions of times and felt lucky if someone actually answered the phone. I filed a complaint with BBB and received a reponse in 3 days that a refund would be issued. THANK YOU BBB.

I will never ever do business with this company again. If you have a complaint, don't waste your time to call the company; file a complaint with BBB!

• Va
      2nd of Oct, 2008
    magazinecity.com

Just awful... Magazinecity.com, that is obviously scamming and cheating their customers. I put an order for a gift subscription for a magazine for Christmas in to them on December 6, 2007. We have never received the magazine and everytime you call customer service you have to wait on hold 40-45 minutes, and they when you speak to them they lie to you and do not take care of the problem. Unfortunately after the fact I noted on the internet numerous complaints and poor reviews of this company taking money from people placing orders and no product received. Granted one order is not a lot of money, however if they do to this to a million people it does add up, doesn't it?

2nd of Oct, 2008

I filed a complaint with the BBB on-line and got a refund in less than 3 weeks. MagazineCity has a very poor reputation with the BBB and, in my case anyway, was quick to respond when threatened.

5th of Oct, 2008
    Michigan

Ordered a subscription 6 months ago and haven't received a single issue! I've been trying to get a refund but their customer service is impossible to reach.

This company uses the dishonest scheme to charge your credit card with a subscriptions and tells you that because they handle so many orders your magazine may take up to 2 months to be delivered at your door. Well, the magazinies will never arrived because after two months you cannot longer open a dispute with your credit card company and they get to keep the money. I bet other people just forget they even ordered anything. ###!

5th of Oct, 2008

Hi Tom! Good job!
    Could you just describe for all of us step by step what have you done to report MagazineCity to BBB, how did you do it and finally how did you get the refund?

Thanks!

11th of Dec, 2008
    magazinecity.com

I ordered two magazines from this company as gifts for my dad. One magazine appeared, and the other one never showed up. After three months, I called, and was told that there was a problem with that publisher, and that they would resolve the problem and that the magazine would start appearing within 6 weeks.

4 months later I called back repeatedly, and just got the run around. I got 'we'll get back to you by the end of the day today', which meant a form email. Then, when I called again, I got 'I'll have to have a supervisor call you back later today', which never happened. Call number three (4 days later when no one had called) had me leaving a voice mail for the supposed head of Customer Service, who also never got back to me.

It took me like 20 phone calls to them (I am NOT exaggerating) and a threat to take them to court before they finally had me talk to someone who would give me my money back. So, they kept my money for about 8 months, would not return any customer service calls, and only finally gave me my money back when they realized that I was not going to go away. It was very clear after that process that they never intended to deliver the magazine, or to give me my money back (or to even return a phone call).

FYI, if anyone ever does sue these creeps, I took detailed notes about my calls to them (date, time, who I spoke with, what they told me), and I'd be happy to help out in taking these scam artists down. It's unbelievable that they're allowed to get away with this.

11th of Dec, 2008

They respond to the BBB; got my money back in 8 days.

Tom

• Do
      31st of Dec, 2008

i am going through this process RIGHT NOW and have notified them that i will be filing a complaint regarding internet fraud... same situation in that nobody responded to countless emails, calls, etc. I only regret that i never checked out this site sooner!!!

Donna

magazinecity
    magazinecity.com

In December 2009 I used this website to purchase 4 magazine subscriptions. According to them, the order was processed in early January 2010. It's June 11th and I have yet to receive a magazine. A month ago I filed a complaint against them with the BBB requesting a full refund. The company was very good at using stall tactics...promising that my subscriptions would start soon. I'd write back and demand a refund...they'd write back and assure the BBB that my magazine orders had been placed a second time. Finally, the BBB told me they were closing the case as "unresolved" as they could not force a company to provide a refund, etc. I've called each magazine individually and found my order had been received...the last week in MAY !! One magazine has yet to receive my order...so I'm still fighting with magazinecity. I intend to file a second complaint with the BBB regarding this last magazine subscription.
    These discount magazine websites are SCAM !!!

11th of Jun, 2010

How did you get a refund??? I battled with magazinecity, through the BBB, for over a month and got nothing but stall tactics from the website. The BBB finally told me they had to close my complaint as "unresolved" because they can't force a company to provide refunds.

11th of Jun, 2010

I DID file a complaint...no refund !!!

• Ca
      18th of Jun, 2010

Who would like to join me in forming a class action suit against Magazine City? They MUST be stopped!!!

• Wi
      7th of Sep, 2010
    magazinecity

i purchased a magazinr subscription on april 4th 2010 paid by amx they took it out $40. April 6th .it has been 5 months and still no Magazine. You pnone them .Leave message or email wich we have done twice this is a rip of of $40 dollars how many others have they Ripped off and they will not answer on phone

• Le
      7th of Feb, 2011
    MagazineCity

I repeat if my experience is anything to go by DO NOT order your magazines from this company. I ordered 2 skiing magazines back in October of 2010. It is now the end of January 2011 and I have still not received my subscriptions. The last issues of the season are available on newstands by Feb 15. I called the company back in December and they apologized, claiming the magazines would arrive shortly..I spoke with Christine at extension 216.

I have since tried to get in touch with the company at all times of the day but no matter when you call or what extension your try no one picks up.

With all the choices out there and given the fact the publishing world is desperate for business you would think there was a better option and there has to be. If in doubt buy direct. I was mistaken in thinking that I could subscribe to two magazines in one shot in order to save time. Instead I have been put through the ringer and lost any news I might have gotten for the ski season...

What a disgrace in this difficult economy!

24th of Aug, 2011
    Magazine City
    Glencoe
    Ontario
    Canada
    Phone: 5192873635

I ordered the magazine First for Women for my daughter for Christmas 2010. $23.88 was taken off my credit card on Dec 3 2010. When my daughter did not receive the magazine I contacted First magazine but they said they had no record of it. I have left a message at Magazine City 800 787 1414 several times but they have never returned my call.