Madison Seating / Unwilling to honor satisfaction guarantee

1 Brooklyn, NY, United States

I purchased an item on their website which is, as published, covered by a "100% satisfaction guarantee" This guarantee according to their website allows customers to return purchased items if for any reason they are not happy with their purchase as long as they do it within 30 days of receipt, and in addition they mention twice that they will cover the return shipping cost.

My purchase was supposed to be delivered on December 30th but it wasn't. I started an investigation with FedEx and according to Madison Seating, on January 4th they started a "full trace investigation" with FedEx as well. On January 5th the item is delivered and I contact Madison Seating by email to confirm receipt. Receipt is therefore acknowledged by both parties on January 5th 2017.

On January 25th, well within the 30 days from receipt, I contact Madison Seating to return the item. They provide a return authorization code, but fail to provide appropriate shipping instructions. I go to FedEx and UPS with the authorization code and both tell me that shipping is not covered.
I contact Madison Seating promptly. First, they say that shipping is not covered. When I refer them to their own guarantee, they change their argument to "it's now too late, that only applies within the 30 days from receipt"

First of all, receipt was January 5th so we were within 20 days of receipt. But even if they want to consider receipt on December 30th (which is not true) I would still have been within 30 days from receipt.

I tried amicably to resolve the issue on multiple occasions and even offered to share the shipping cost. They continuously refuse to reach an agreement, and continuously refuse to honor their "satisfaction guarantee"

Madison Seating

• Updated by agcip, Feb 03, 2017

Follow up on the complaint filed earlier today: I immediately received the following email from Madison Seating:

This email is to notify you that we will be reporting you to other online merchant services regarding the circumstances surrounding your order. In this way, other online retailers will decide if they want to fulfill your future online requests based on our experience with you.

Some of these online retailers will be emailing you with a review summary that we have provided. Other platforms will just retain this information for any online retailer that registers or requests this information.

We are sorry you felt the need to escalate this matter unnecessarily.

Madisonseating.com