Lululemon Athletica / customer service in-store

1 Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

I went into the store today (Dec. 26/2017) to purchase a couple items but had forgotten my gift card at home. The sales associate assured me I could put my sale items on hold and I could come purchase them the next day with my gift card, as they had been doing holds for other customers all day. At no point did she say she had to ask her manager before making this assurance to me. A few minutes later the associate informed me that her manager told her she would not honour those items on hold for me and would be putting them back on the shelves. She said this is because the items were part of the boxing day sale. I then asked if I could purchase them in store today and come back and repay with my gift card tomorrow. She said she would not do this for me. As a person who works in another retail store on the management team, I am well aware that exceptions can be made and it is important for customer service purposes that management honours the decisions their employees make. I feel especially upset with this experience because the associate specifically told me they had been putting sale items and other items on hold for customers throughout the whole day. I am unsure why the manager refused this option to only me. All of the other staff including the associate who was helping me were friendly and polite. However, the manager who was giving unacceptable customer service did not come speak to me herself, apologize, or offer any other options/accomodations. I understand that the holiday season is a very stressful time, especially for retail employees, but I have shopped at other lululemon stores throughout canada and have only ever received excellent service, and for that reason I do not believe this (Very simple) situation was handled in an acceptable way. Please advise.

La