Long Island Conservatory, LISMA, L.I.C, Liconservatory / No refund?!

1 1125 willis ave. Albertson, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 516 625 3455

This place doesn't issue refunds. It doesnt issue refunds for students who never took the lesson, it doesnt give refund before the lessons even start 3 weeks before hand, there is no tuition refund for after school, ESL school, College, music lessons, art lessons. in the ESL brochures, it specifically states that refunds are given to students before the lessons start. In the application forms or their website, it states that refund policy is refunds are given before classes start. They will not issue refunds!! They say that they'll give credits but I dont want to deal with the school's psychotic owner kim. She yells at me and other parents with her broken english, and walk past us like we're all beneathe her because she has more money then the rest of us. The science and math teachers can not speak english either. And the turnover rate at this school is unbelievable! my child's teacher changes every 2 weeks!!
When signing up for summer school, the owner or 'president' kim herself told me that there was an 8 student capacity per class. When the summer classes started, there were 17 students per tiny classrooms, with out a window or ventilation. It's so expensive but the teaching level is that of babysitting level. I paid for lunch services but my kid always came home hungry, and i later found out that she orders 2 regualr sized meals at nearby chinese restaurant and give a pinch of it to each kid. She charged me $7 per meal!! She will never hear your complaints, but she will yell at you once you ask for a refund, literally scream and shout at you in front of students and teachers, and tell you to take you kid out of the summer school because she knows that its too late to enroll my kid in other summer camps. She uses old books all the time, she is so unprofessional. I can't stand her broken korean english.

Li

More Long Island Conservatory, LISMA, L.I.C, Liconservatory Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Lo
      17th of Dec, 2008

Actually, I went to that summer camp this summer, and it was really nice
    I don't know what you're raging on about, but WHEN I ASKED for a refund last spring, they gave everything back to me PRONTO on the spot. Only the registration fee they kept, but THAT is REASONABLE because it clearly states on the registration form that YOU signed before paying. Did you not pay attention? DO you know how to read ENGLISH?...
    And I got a choice of either REFUND COMPLETELY or a CREDITS towards future classes.
    THEY GAVE ME A CHOICE. I decided to use the credit for the summer camp.
    FOr the summer camp:
    #1) the price is completely reasonable for the 6 weeks of intensive work they give you. If you think its so expensive, WHY DID YOU PAY IN THE FIRST PLACE? you are such a hypocrite..
    #2) the lunches were delicious! DO NOT EXHAGGERATE! they DO NOT only serve a "pinch of chinese food". Maybe your child was LYING to you. But i recall eating a different menu every day, and IF your kid was still hungry, then you could always go up for 2nds and 3rds, which is what a lot of kids did. We got BAKED ZITI, PIZZA, CHINESE FOOD, KFC meals, McDONALDS, SUBWAY sandwiches, and I got to eat as MUCH as i wanted. President Kim actually encouraged all the kids to come up for more if they were still hungry. One day all the food went so fast, so president Kim GENEROUSLY spent her own money to order 4 more pies of pizza!!!
    #3) You are probably just some jealous loser who is jealous of another woman's blessings because she is better off than you are. Her accent is not that bad, I can understand her perfectly. She acknowledges every parent in the lobby, and is very nice. She only yells at YOU because you are so slow and intolerant. I think she is very pretty and stylish, and if it means she has more money that you, WHY DO YOU CARE? ARE YOU JEALOUS??? That is very childish and stupid. I hope your child didnt learn foolishness from you.

AND THE COMPLAINT about 17 KIDS IN ONE CLASSROOM!?!?!? ARE you serious? YOU MUST BE ONE HECK OF A LIAR because I was in a class with 7 kids. on the FIRST DAY OF CLASS there was a lot of kids, because we were taking DIAGNOSTIC TESTS to see which classrooms we should go to based on level. THEN after that, there were LESS THAN 8 kids. Your child is lying to you about that/ Anyways. I understand the teachers perfectly. WHICH TEACHER are you complaining about exactly? because I've been to LISMA for the past 4 years, and I've gone through most of the teachers, and they are amazing. I am doing so well in school these days, and I am grateful to LISMA.

WHen i was looking for the LIC website, I found this complaint instead on googlesearch. You must be so lonely and foolish to try to bash someones business on a website/. AND you are an envious, jealous, petty fool who is jealous of someone else's beauty and wealth. If you are ugly, get plastic surgery and maybe you won't feel so bad. OK? :)

• Ju
      23rd of Dec, 2008

Dear "Lorette"

you're response to the original complaint makes me think that you must be one of Mrs. Kim's children.
    If so, I'm sorry the original complainer hurt your feelings, but let's be objective here. I've enrolled my child in LISMA or LIC in the past as well and much of the original complaint is true. This is a complaintsboard. Obviously, anything on here isn't going to be encouraging or supportive of your mom's business. I'm sure many people may like your mom's business but not all do, and those who dont have the right to express their feelings or thoughts. However, your response is very immature and embarassing. Get plastic surgery? and your spelling and grammer...if you have been taking classes from LISMA for four years and you cant spell exaggerate then ...actually now i think you may be Mrs. Kim herself.
    "Lorette", your response to the orig. complaint is so obvious that you are personally hurt and know details only Mrs. Kim herself or one of the staff or her children would know. Which makes your response laughable and pitiful.
    Instead of flying off the handle like so, why don't you change your ways? and give back to the comminuty and your students? you're only proving yourself to be a petty woman. And the people who work for you, including your staff and teachers don't exactly have the nicest things to say about you to the parents. If they describe you as psychotic to the parents, what do you expect on a complaints board?
    Either way, I agree with the orig. post. LIC/ LISMA needs some re-structuring and the president needs some professional therapy for the betterment of herself, her children and her business.

• Ju
      23rd of Dec, 2008

Oh and "Lorette", this isnt the only complaint of your school on this website. You should read LISMA complaint as well, maybe search it on google. I hope you come out a better person from all of this. And maybe this summer, you can be generous or at least fair with the lunches in summer camp. And just re-reading about the plastic surgery made me laugh. We (all of the parents) know for a fact that you had alot of work done on your face, you eyes and nose and botox and everything. You shouldnt be so conceited and hypocritical about the way someone else looks. You wear nice clothes for sure. But you do not carry yourself in a high class manner, but a cheap woman manner. Try wearing a bra when wearing a mashed top in an educational setting.

12th of May, 2009

"...and your spelling and grammer...if you have been taking classes from LISMA for four years and you cant spell exaggerate then ...actually now i think you may be Mrs. Kim herself. "

Hahahaha. Everyone on here is Mrs. Kim. It's so amusing when one idiot accuses another of being one. You get hilarious bits of rants like the above.

12th of May, 2009

...But, still, I agree the school sucks. That's why I never went.

4th of Jun, 2009

I have taught at this school in the past, and like many of my co-workers was appalled at the way Ms. Kim treated the faculty and staff. I would not recommend this school.

4th of Jun, 2009

I think you should have taught "justiceismyname" some better English. She's going around ranting about others' grammar and vocabulary in broken English. Ironic, isn't it?

Dear "Justiceismyname",

I agree with "peoplearedumb" and "Lorette." This is because LIC is a great school! I used to get music and math lessons and I got all A's and H's. (H= average is 100) Not only this, but I got into Juilliard Pre- college! Ms. Kim also is a very nice lady, she tries to motivate others, to do better. I went to the summer camps at LIC and when I got lunch, I came home full! So I don't know know, what you are talking about! My mom went to the LIC learning center desk and when she signed on the dotted line, It specifically said, "NO REFUNDS." So that is another place, where you are lying!!

10th of Jun, 2009

And when I say dotted line, I mean the registration form!

10th of Jun, 2009

Thanks, Eileen, I appreciate your support. Also thanks to 'peoplearedumb' and fencer, you guys are very cool.

To 'Justiceismyname': you know, actions do speak louder than words. If you advocate against me posting my "petty" comments, then you should not do the same. Actually, your post is a lot more "petty" than mine, and even pettier than the original complaint's.
    Your immediate tendency to jump to the conclusion that I am a) Mrs. Kim's children, b) Mrs. Kim's staff, or c) Mrs. Kim herself...well, it really shows that you are the most foolish of us all...
    But, if it makes you happy to refer to me as "Mrs. Kim" because it makes you more "pumped" when you reply...by all means, whatever floats your boat, woman.

And if you're going to criticize my spelling/grammar...please, take care of your own "GRAMMAR" first. (by the way, i spelled it correctly here, just to reiterate 'peoplearedumb''s lesson for you).

Also, why are you looking at another woman's bra? Unless you're a declaredly sick person, I would advise you not to observe other women's breasts, because that makes you perverted. Honestly...

I look forward to hearing your "petty" response. Tone it down this time, ehh?

Have a nice life.

10th of Jun, 2009

oh, and I would love to help change my community. But I don't know where you live, so I'm afraid I might end up helping people like you...which would only be dampening my cause in the first place :)

I'm guessing you're a woman...by the way you rant about plastic surgery...wow you really know your surgery talk! Botox? Have you been meaning to get some lately? I'm not too familiar with that all that...but I sure am learning a lot from your 2 posts alone.

And being that you're a woman...please, I must mention it again...why are you observing another woman's breasts?? Keep your eyes on your own..if you have any? oopsie.

May i note, that complaint board has just transformed from a complaint, to a personal duel between mrs. kim's supporters vs. haters...so, speak wisely woman.

Dear MathGeek, Lorette, and all,

Please, enough with the B.S. of LIC being such a "great school." It’s NOT.

If it was, why is the faculty/staff turnover rate so high? When I taught there it was a continual revolving door of teachers quitting in disgust at how Mrs. Kim ran the school. To her it’s all about the money - if the students got an education that was secondary. No matter how much cutsie-wootsie stuff you write about Mrs. Kim and LIC, it won’t change this fact.

11th of Jun, 2009

It's true the school has a revolving door of teachers flowing in and out. It's a neophyte school just beginning its growth. Though I agree that some of the complaints here are a bit exaggerated, everyone has to admit that there are enough problems in the school for one to post on https://www.complaintsboard.com. As a program director who has worked at LIC and other even bigger institutions, I've come to accept that there will always be a minority of people who are not happy with the service. Think about it this way, are any of us always considered a good and reliable friend in our respective social groups? No. The better the business, the less complaints it has. But, there will always complaints.

Dear "Concerned Educator",

B.S! I did very well at LIC and that's final! I don't care if Ms. Kim is rich or not rich! I got into Juilliard Pre- college and have all A's and H's in school and it's all thanks to the teachers at LIC. And by the way, how in the world would you know that the turnover rate of LIC facutlty/staff is high? Not even I know that! Are you like a stalker? I bet you that you didn't have all A's and H's in high school! Also you are getting off topic, from what this complaint is about!

11th of Jun, 2009

OK, this complaint board has become really over-the-top lately.

To 'complaintsbored', you definitely have valid ideas. I'm glad you're able to voice them in such a professional manner, it really helps the overall attitude of this page.
    I agree, of course every business will have its complaints, for they are indeed inevitable.

To 'Concerned Educator", I also understand where you're coming from, but please don't get defensive, it was never my intention to make you feel confronted. You are entitled to your beliefs, as we are to our beliefs. I don't recall saying anything "cutsie-wootsie" about Mrs. Kim...but if that's the vibe you got from my post...well, I don't know why that would be.

I'm simply here to clarify that 1) the initial complaint is seriously exaggerated, which I am sure we can all agree upon, and 2) although you may not like mrs. kim, it is wrong to judge the whole school and its faculty/students/quality based on one person.

To "Math Geek", congratulations on getting into Juilliard pre-college, it's an amazing feat. It's good to hear that you're doing so well now.

• Li
      17th of Jul, 2009

I have a feeling that Math Geek is Mrs. Kim's Son and Lorette is Mrs. Kim's daughter. LOL, either that or they are the same person judging by the post dates, it's like..immediate replies to each other. Get a grip. That place is a nut house.

31st of Jul, 2009

Dear licisBS,

Might as well call you brain dead! Did it ever come mind that Lorette and I were on at the same time! Anyway I don't care about this stupid complaint so, PLEASE stop commenting, because I'm getting unworthy emails!

Mathgeek

31st of Jul, 2009

Umm... Isn't that why he was suspicious? Because you both seemed to be on at similar times? As for me, I'm actually five of the people here, arguing with myself. I got an email, too, but I enjoy wasting my time online. Peace.

• Iw
      8th of Feb, 2010

lets be serious. I've worked there as an administrator and I can tell you from firsthand experience that this place is a joke. Nothing against the teachers, they are professional enough. It's the owner mrs. kim and her school policies and the lies that she tells about the school that is of concern to me. If you take a look at the school website, it says over 5000 graduates...seriously? 5000? graduates? I dont know what constitutes a graduate in her mind, but dont tell me that there have been over 5000 graduates from the 'college program' because that number is less than 10. It doesnt confer any degrees, it isnt accredited by any degree granting organization, all it confers is a diploma. I can type up a diploma if i wanted to. Then she goes on to sell her school like it's affiliated with SUNY old westbury...AS A MUSIC SCHOOL/ MUSIC Department. UHHHH...call SUNY old westbury and ask them yourselves. She's been saying for years now that it's under process, but it's just not happening. In the meanwhile, the students are paying expensive tuition w.o. any financial aid because FAFSA doesnt accept illegitimate schools as colleges. The credits won't transfer so even if the students smarten up and try to transfer, they realize that they only wasted their money at a fake school. Mrs. Kim tells everyone that she also is trying to separate accreditation from NASM. That again has been going on for years, and while its true that she's trying, it's just not happening. And when it isnt happening, you shouldn't advertise to students as if it's done or close to being approved, it's false advertising. The poor students that do graduate from this 'conservatory' can't find respectable job in the field they studied in except for tutoring in HER school. Sure, the economy is bad, but who's going to hire anyone that graduated with a diploma and not a degree? And still can't speak english? I used to feel so bad for the teachers that worked there, they'd get so verbally abused. It was inhumane. As for the fellow administrators? the turnover rate was every 2 weeks. I wish the state would kick through those doors and do some serious evaluation to check how many violations she's breaking. Especially from the labor department. No over timepay, though if you dont put in over time, she'd tell to your face that you need to put in over time in order to keep your job. Anyway, this is a complaint board, obviously people are writing on this site to complain. No place is perfect, but this place is...horrendous. Your kids are not receiving the education you're paying for.

• Ds
      25th of Feb, 2010

My daughter signed up for the Merkin concerts this Feb 2010. We paid $350 for her to duet with another student. This student did not dilligently show up at the lessons and didn't show up to the concert. My daughter ended up playing only one song and had to duet with her teacher. We invite 15 relatives and waited 5 hours so my daughter can do only one song. What rip off! The owner did nothing to intervene to get this student on track to practice prior to this concert. Beware!