Lifetouch Photography / Unsolicited school pictures

1 Lees Summit, MO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 816-347-7407

The latest marketing tactic from Lifetouch Photography crosses the line. This year our school was told there would be no proofs for our spring pictures. Our school did not notify parents. I did not select a pose for my children when the Lifetouch order form came home as I do not purchase spring pictures--only the fall pictures. My children came home one day with full packets of pictures, and a hard-to-see note that unwanted pictures were to be returned. All others could be purchased online. This is sleazy marketing, using my kids to accept pictures I didn't order. I was put in the position of: 1) paying anyway ($90 for 2 kids), 2) taking away the pictures my children were drooling over and sending them back as "unwanted, " or 3) looking further and realizing I was under no obligation to purchase or send back these unsolicited photos of my children. I am going with option 3 and keeping the photos. I have registered a complaint with our school as well as here. This marketing tactic must not be allowed in our schools. It's wrong and I won't participate in it.

Comments

• Ge
      16th of May, 2012

Oh get over it! So you're opting to steal? That's a great thing to teach your children. Grow up. It's a FUNDRAISER for your school/pta. So tell them you're sorry you stole.

• La
      12th of Jun, 2012

Actually Laurel, a lot of school opt for the program you describe. It is called family approval and it helps prevent situations in which the order is pre-paid and then something happens like the child gets a scratch on his or her face before pictures or doesn't feel good and refuses to smile. I am surprised that you have never had this kind of program before as very few schools operate under a proof program unless they are hand selected by Lifetouch. I am also saddened to hear that you have decided just to keep them without paying for them. It takes money away from your children's school and the photographer, who has no control over the type of portrait program they are scheduled to photograph. In the future, please note that you have the authority to tell your child's teacher that you do not want your children photographed. The photographer has no problem respecting the wishes of the parent, and it is a much more acceptable alternative to theft.

• Ol
      25th of Jun, 2012

Laurel it is unfortunate that you have to deal with this. In southern California, Lifetouch is adjusting to keep up with a small company that has made spring pictures easier. Students all receive proofs on spring picture day. Not packets of pictures. Even with prices as low as $10. As for the quality it's above par seeing as how the owner of the company is a former photographer of Lifetouch and won their "Photographer of the Year" and also was part in writing their manuals on photography. They even offer a %20 commission to schools instead of the so called fundraiser of $1 per package purchased while spending at least $24 in order to purchase anything. Maybe they will catch up out there or have their company diminish as it has been doing in southern California. Best of luck to you.

• Ia
      20th of Jul, 2012
    Best Best Advice +7 Votes

actually what Lifetouch, and other companies are doing by sending home unsolicited picture packages ( family approval? sounds like corporate jargon to me, its called speculative sales) is illegal in the state of California.
    see CA Civil Code section 1584.5,
    due to Lifetouchs disregard for law, or lack of knowledge, this unsolicited material can be viewed as a gift. enjoy!

• Li
      2nd of May, 2013

I have on file with the school that no commercial photography is to be done of her. Lifetouch took photos and then sent home a package with a bill that we did not order. The school then sent home a not demanding that we pay or return the photos. I called the school and informed them that we were going to do neither. We did not want the commercial photos (to which the photographer is claiming copyright to) taken in the first place and sent photos that we did not order. My understanding of the law in Ohio is that you are not responsible to pay for anything that you did not order. To the persons who claim the original complainant is "stealing" you had better look at what theft is. This company is nothing but con artists trying to con or guilt you into paying for something that you did not want.

• Ry
      24th of May, 2017

• Tr
      11th of Oct, 2018

You are all sick, they are taking data of our children without consent. The pictures are a cover, they claim its just a gift. Yet someday when my kid drops a gallon of milk in the grocery store and runs because he is scared... they might come look him up based on the lifetouch data.

this is not a good thing. lol when i tried to post it wanted my socials... geez peops... i am going to use invalids to post just to get it in.