Life Alert Emergency Response / unauthorized credit card charges

To Life Alert:

For the most part I have been happy with your company. I have used it to support my mother for over 2 years and had one of your representatives do an exemplary job in locating my mother in a local hospital when we did not know where she was. I do have to inform you that the last 2 months have been enough to sour my opinion of the company. My mother went into the hospital at the end of March 2018. I called on March 1st to inquire about closing the contract because the prognosis was not good. She was being helped to breathe at that point as she was unable to breathe on her own. I spoke with a young man who was nice enough, but in a matter of fact way explained that the contract could not be cancelled without a death certificate. He stated he would note the account so that the billing would not happen for the next cycle once you had the certificate.
I called again at the week of May 1st and was instructed to fax the death certificate to stop the billing. I did that same day and the representative emailed me back saying she did not get the attachment (which I did not send because there was a scan of the certificate in the body of the email. I made a separate attachment and emailed it back to her specifically and got no response. I emailed it again to the main email and got no response. I called again on the 4th and finally got the right department after 4 transfers and a being dropped in some persons voicemail box. I got a young man who saw the document and the previous conversations and set up an appointment for the equipment to be picked up. I explained my situation to him and wanted to ensure no further payments would be withdrawn. He told me a payment had been attempted to collect on the 3rd of May, which was after my conversation with your company and the receipt of the death certificate. I explained that I wanted to avoid any more billing and he advised since the status of pick-up was pending the billing would be on hold.
The next day May 5th my account was billed. It is difficult enough to be making arrangements for the loss of a loved one and the last thing we need is for a company we have depended on to appear greedy and uncaring. No provision to suspend billing until a death certificate is provided is a morbid enough way to end a contract, but to continue billing and frustrate a customer during this time is completely unacceptable. Now I must get back with your company to recoup money which is exactly what I told the young man I spoke to on the 4th who assured me that would not be the case.
Unfortunately, you have turned a satisfied customer into one who is extremely dissatisfied by billing me for 2 months of service that you did not render and will be as vocal as possible about my displeasure and recommend alternatives to your service to anyone who will listen.
Harold Myers

Ha
May 7, 2018

Comments

• Sl
      18th of Jun, 2018

I was placing an order for a system and the person I was speaking with took my credit card number. However, almost as an afterthought, I asked if there were any additional fees for cancellation and reluctantly then informed me that yes there would be a 3 month worth of charge - which would be the equivalent of $150 for the service we were getting - and he talked me into going ahead with it. But then told me there would be a call back to confirm the service. I did not speak with anyone to confirm the service until i called back on Monday (first call was on Friday). When I called back, I was transferred three to four times very abruptly, very rude people and the salesperson I finally talked to (which was the original one named George) was very abrupt and would not accept that I was not happy with the business practice of not informing that you have a a three-year contract until the end of the phone call after you received the payment information. I repeatedly informed him I did not want to receive the service, he was argumentative, making me restate 4-5 times my reason (unethical/bad business practice to not inform your client until asked) and I said, Sir I do not want to argue (as it had already been 10 minutes of me trying to cancel),
    I have not received any product or services and I would like to cancel - I do not want to receive your services. This went on several times and I finally said I do not want your services I will call the credit card company if I have to. He said, " you can go ahead and call the credit card company" then abruptly hung up on me. At which time I called the credit card company and tried to cancel the pending charge of $95 and they said that they were not able to cancel it and I would have to cancel the entire card and have a new one sent out and I said okay let's do that.

Life Alert was extremely unprofessional, very bad business practices, both in trying to get service and in canceling service, and I would not recommend them for the fact that they do not allow you to know about their charges upfront. I had to ask about it, it was not volunteered, and the representative was hostile throughout the entire call.

• Sl
      18th of Jun, 2018

And i had top completely cancel the credit card to stop the service that I had never confirmed.