Life Alert

Posted: Nov 14, 2017 by

customer service

lifealert.com
I have a huge complaint and problem with Life Alert and would like to have the recorded phone calls, not just the typed account notes reviewed and be reimbursed for fees charged due to being told the account was closed.
I called to cancel our account . The account was closed. Then I got a call and was told the account wasn't closed and that I had to pay a fee to close it or the account would continue to be charged until the equipment was returned. I was charged a $200 fee to close the account even after I was told the account was already closed. I was transferred many times to several different departments. How can I be held responsible for internal issues within the Company and how am I supposed to know who does and doesn't have authority in any of the departments I was transferred to when I'm asking to speak with supervisors.
Oct 27, 2017 at approximately 4:15 pm, I called to cancel my mom's account. I was transferred, and I believe I spoke to Ganadi. He asked me why I wanted the account closed. I explained that my mother could not afford it anymore and that our local Agency on Aging was going to help her. I was told that I need to return the equipment then he would cancel the account. I explained that I did not know where the equipment is. I was told I needed find it or they would not stop payments from our account. I have diligently searched for the equipment. As of yet, I have not found it.
I explained that our local Agency on Aging had gotten my mother a different medical system through a contracted agency due to her disability and low income status. A technician from the contracted company came out and replaced the Life Alert system. He stated that he left the old system at the house. The system has not been located.
Oct 30, 2017 I called Life Alert and was transferred. I believe I spoke to Ganadi again and I asked to speak to a supervisor and told him that I was unable to find the equipment. He advised me to contact the Company that installed the new system and check to see if their technician may have taken it with him. I asked Ganadi if we would be able to cancel the account over the phone with a three-way call between Him, myself and the Technician if he located the equipment. Ganadi said yes and that the system just needs to be deactivated and we could do it over the phone as long as an account holder was on the phone along with the technician.
I called the contracted Company on Oct 30, 2017 at approximately 2:30pm and requested to speak to the technician that installed the new system. They advised that they would contact him. I again called on Oct 31, 2017 and asked to speak to the technician that replaced the equipment. On Nov 1, 2017 at approximately 11:30am, I spoke to the Technician advising him the Life Alert System is not in the house. I asked him to double check and to go through his utility vehicle and tools again to make sure.
Nov 6, 2017 at approximately 10:20am, I called Life Alert again and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was transferred to James. I explained everything that had occurred and that I was trying to close the account. James said he would see what he could do. He put me on hold. When he came back on the line, he advised me that he could help me and canceled the account since the equipment was so old and wouldn't need to be returned and asked me to put the equipment into recycling if it was ever located. James said if anyone had any questions, have them contact him.
Nov 6, 2017 at approximately 2:55pm, Ganadi called me and stated that our account was not going to be closed because He won't close it until I return the equipment, not just deactivated. I explained that James had canceled the account and said if anyone had any questions, they could contact him. And, I asked him how can he re-open the account if it had been closed. Ganadi said I could pay a fee of $300 immediately and he would close the account. I told him I did not have $300 to pay it immediately. He said there was nothing else he could do and that James didn't have the authority to close the account. I told Ganadi that who does or doesn't have the authority wasn't my responsibility and that it was an internal issue within his company. I, was told the account was CLOSED. I again asked to speak to a supervisor. Ganadi told me that he was the Account Manager and that I had no choice but to pay the fee. Ganadi set up the continuance of monthly payments until the $300 fee was paid off and said I had no other choice.
Nov 7, 2017 approximately 8:00am I called Life Alert to get ahold of James to advise him that Ganadi re-opened the account. Got the phone-tree and the call was disconnected. I called 3 times.
Nov 7, 2017 approximately 8:20am I called Life Alert again. This time I entered X1333 (I meant to dial 1300) and I asked for a supervisor. I was transferred and spoke to Carlos. Carlos asked why I wanted to speak to a supervisor. I explained that our account was charged a fee after I had been told it was closed. I asked who the supervisor would be and what his extension is. Carlos said James wasn't the authority and there was nothing he could do. He transferred me to Renee. I left a message explaining why I called.
Nov 7, 2017 approximately 2:21 called to speak to Renee, got Jonathan. He wanted to know why. I explained to him that my account was closed and the re-opened and I was charged a fee. He said James wasn't an authority to close the account and there was nothing he could do. I told him the Company's internal issues weren't my responsibility. Transferred me to Renee. Renee said there is nothing he can do and I would still have to pay the fee even though I was told the account was closed. Again, I stated that the Company's internal issues aren't my responsibility and I shouldn't be charged an additional fee, since I was told the account was already closed. I asked for a different supervisor. I left my contact information with Renee to give to Erica.
Nov 7, 2017 approximately 8:50 attempted to contact James again. Unable to leave message.
Nov 8, 2017 approximately 10:30am Erica called my cell. I was unable to answer due to being t work.
Nov 8, 2017 approximately 12:10pm attempted to contact James. Unable to leave message.
Nov 8, 2017 approximately 12:14pm called Life Alert again to contact James. Got Sandy and asked to speak to James. She transferred me. The phone system transferred me numerous times and Juan answered. I explained to Juan that my account had been closed and reopened and I was being charged an additional fee and how can I be held responsible for the internal issues of his company and that I have asked to speak to a supervisor multiple times. Juan said there was nothing he could do, that I would have to pay a fee even though I was told the account had already been closed, and put me on hold. Juan said he would transferred me to Junior who is a Contract Supervisor at 12:55pm. Junior asked if he could call me back so he could review the account notes.
Nov 8, 2017 approximately 1300 Junior called me back. I explained what was going on and that I was told the account was closed and then was told it wasn't closed and that I would be charged additional fees to close it. And, how can I be held responsible for internal issues with who does or doesn't have what type of authority when I have been transferred so many times and have no idea who everyone is or what departments I've been talking to. Junior said there was nothing he could do and that I would have to pay the $300 fee to close the account even though I was told it had already been closed.
I told Junior that I keep asking to speak to Supervisors so I can get this resolved and every Supervisor that I have talked to tells me that "There is nothing I can do". I told him that is ridiculous, Supervisors have the ability to make judgment calls, that's why they are Supervisors! He told me he would call me back.
Junior told me I should pay the $300 fee since my mother was getting a FREE service now for her medical alert system through the contracted company with the Agency on Aging. I advised Junior that the Agency on Aging stepped in to help with a medical alert system because my mother is disabled and on a fix income. I told Junior that we have been loyal customers for 5 years and how can they charge me a fee after I was told the account was already closed. Junior said he would call me back.
Nov 8, 2017 approximately 1328 Junior called back and said if I pay it off immediately he would only charge me a total of $200 fee instead of the $300 fee. I paid the Fee under protest.
I do not feel that I should be charged a fee after I was told our account was closed by anyone in your company who closed it regardless of their authority or non-authority. Internal company issues are not my responsibility and I shouldn't be held responsible. I called in good faith and explained what happened to try and resolve this issue.
Apparently, Life Alert doesn't care about ethics and don't stand behind their word. They are in greater need of a $200 fee than a disabled senior citizen on a fixed income.
Complaint comments Comments (1)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Other

Comments

N  14th of Nov, 2017 by    0 Votes
I wouldn't hesitate to side with Life Alert off they had just been upfront with the fact the $300 fee was charged for their equipment. If you can show the agreement was made to just cancel the account, you may want to simply follow the fair debt reporting and collections acts. They'll simply be forced to cease any contact with you unless the want to pursue the debt in court.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree