LC Van Rentalcrooks! refund and promised price difference not returned

Our small church charity booked a 15-seater minibus for Friday 2nd to Sunday 4th November, to be delivered and collected from our premises. I paid £779.00 by BACS up front for the hire cost and refundable deposit.

On the morning of the hire, I had an email and a phone call apologising profusely because the previous hirers had not returned the van - it was stuck in the South of France! They said they were refunding me the monies paid immediately and also said that if I booked through another company, they would also pay us the difference. I was simply to send them the booking confirmation showing the price. More apologies about the previous hirers but then alarm bells range because then I was told that they had missed the ferry. Well either the van was in the south of France or it was in northwest France at the docks. Couldn't be both!

The last minute alternative booking was only available 2nd to 5th as they weren't open on Sundays. The price difference was quite significant. I sent LC Van Rental the receipt from the other company and they agreed that they would pay the money.

Since then, despite dozens of calls and emails and promises, al the money we have had back is £50. The people who are in touch are Adam and Michael. They apologise profusely and say they will chase up the payment, or that the payment has cleared and to check our bank account on this date and that time.

It's all lies. They have stolen from a small church charity. I couldn't believe it. Having read this site, now I can.

Cm