Ladies Work Out Express - National Fitness Centers / It is a complete rip off that you join, and then hours are reduced!

I cancelled my membership at the Yorba Linda Ladies Work Out Express, and followed all the National Fitness Center franchise requirements putting things in writing etc. After I sent my notice the club closed. I still followed up with National Fitness Center, and was told that all was in order and that my membership was cancelled and subsequent charges to my card would cease. Days later I got a call from NFC advising me that in fact I owed them money. It was a small amount, not even worth the phone call. However I was in disagreement, and asked for a Supervisor. I was told I could not be connected to a Supervisor. I got two more irritating calls, both times asked for a Supervisor, both times told I could not be transferred. One person went so far as to say that Supervisors can't make decisions, and they are not problem solvers. I asked for a higher level of Management, and that request went to deaf ears. I asked for business owner involvement from the YL location, and was promptly told they had no say in the matter. On both of the calls, I then asked for a complete written balance sheet analysis as to why they think I owe them money. It is not only customary for a business entity who makes claims of money owed, but it is a legal right of the person who the claim is made against to receive such a recap. To date of course, no such recap. But what I did get in the mail was a collection agency notice, with an amount owed over 2000% over the original discussion. Yes, that is two thousand percent.

I have taken the path to write the CEO..we will see where that goes. I hope he is in a position of being able to make decisions.

Anyway, second word of advice. I left Ladies Work Out Express in Yorba Linda for many reasons that cannot be mentioned in this forum, but amongst them, the hours. I signed up, and the hours kept being reduced. They took 4 & 5 day holidays and closed early when employees were not available. So my advice, have written into the contract that your payment/membership is predicated on the hours they are open on the day you join, and that if hours are reduced that you have the right to terminate without consequence. It is a complete rip off that you join, and then hours are reduced.

Comments

10th of Mar, 2007

I dealt with National Fitness on two occasions when trying to cancel a gym membership, they were very helpful and understanding of my situation.

• Co
      10th of Jun, 2007

Sounds like you work for them Janette. You couldn't be farther from the truth

• Ju
      28th of Dec, 2007

I could write a book with how much I agree that National fitness is not on the up and up. I sent a cancellation notice in December 2006 (due to medical reasons). I literally just got off of the telephone nowtofday 12/28/2007 because I failed to "send a medical notice ( which is not even listed in the contract ), I cannot get a refund after they kept illegally debiting my account. On top of that the club went out of business in august and they tried to keep billing me- I blocked them and they began calling daily and called someone who was on my emergency contact list to "collect money" that I allegely owed. NEVER EVER Deal with these slime balls and DO NOT LET anyone ever debit money out of your checking account.

• Co
      12th of Feb, 2008

I share similar experiences with Ladies Workout Express. I incurred a serious back injury Aug 07. I have been trying to cancel my membership since Nov 07. I have submitted several notes from different doctors indicating I could no longer maintain my membership due to my injury and I was NOT to use their equipment. They still will not cancel my contract. After talking at length with a bank officer about this situation I blocked my account. Now I am receiving letters and phone calls. I told them I will make every effort to spread the word about their unethical practices. Hopefully others will not get caught in their "trap." You would think they would not want me at their club due to liability issues and the possibility of further injury from their negligence! Personally I don't think anyone at these "workout" establishments have any in depth training such as exercise physiology that would permit them to tailor an exercise program without further injury.

• Te
      14th of Mar, 2008

I fully agree that this is an unethical company. My daughter and I both had memberships. I had knee surgery and called to find out what to do. They told me to go online and write a letter and to tell the manager of the site. I did both but they continued to auto charge my credit card. The manager of the site said that I needed to call National Fitness. They acknowledge that the notes are in the account but won't do anything about it. I didn't have the energy to argue so in January I paid both accounts in full, sent a notice to cancel and spoke live with a representative who gave me a "confirmation number" that the accounts were both closed. The contracts termed in January anyway. I asked if I needed to do anything else and she said no. But they are still charging me!. I just got off the phone. The "supervisor" was rude and not at all helpful. She told me I auto renewed. Can you beleive this? How many times do you have to notify them of cancellation before it is cancelled???

• Ro
      6th of Nov, 2008

I am in the process of canceling my account, because I moved from Colorado to Tennessee. I mail out everything I was suppose to mail out to prove I had moved in august of 2008 and was charged in Sept I figured they must not have received my information yet. I was again charged in Oct so I called and was told they never received my information so I faxed the information then they said they didn't receive my fax, so I re-faxed it which was a copy of a credit card statement with my address and a date on it and they said that wasn't enough, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold for 45 minutes then someone picked up and click hung up on me. I'm still trying to get this taken care of, this company is committing fraud, scamming and lying. If anyone wants me to take part in a class action law suit email me, this company needs to be held accountable for its actions.

• La
      26th of Oct, 2009

A franchise of National Fitness Center went out of business where my wife and I were members about 2 months ago...she had been signed up to take personal training sessions for 6 months and the gym closed about 3 months into our agreement...we paid 1st and last months fees for training for her...1 month after starting her trainer quit...it took a month for them to assign her a new one (even though they auto draft our payments)...then finally after another month of training the gym closes...we have over $300.00 invested there, and now we're told that because that business was a franchise, and it went bankrupt, there is no more money to be refunded. National Fitness Headquarters in Knoxville, TN says they aren't responsible. BOYCOT NATIONAL FITNESS CENTERS!!! They will screw you over!!!

• Ju
      11th of Sep, 2010

Hello, I work for National Fitness Center in Knoxville, TN. I have also been a member for nine years before my employment a month ago. To my knowledge LaGrande, the National Fitness Center you speak of is not affiliated with our nine locations in and around Knoxville, TN. That is assuming of course you are talking about a location out of state of Tennessee. National Fitness center in Knoxville, TN is also not a franchise. I do however sympathize with cancelling your account. You should not be penalized for a gym to go out of business. On the back of our membership agreement in bold typing it talks about about a gym closing and you not having to pay any more monthly dues as long as your are not in 35 miles of IPFA gyms.