KG Suzuki / bait and switch scam

Long Island City, NY, United States Review updated:

SAW A CAR LISTED ON MULTIPLE WEBSITES FROM KG SUZUKI FOR $24, 990 AND SPOKE TO A SALESMAN FOR TWO DAYS STRAIGHT BEFORE GOING TO THE DEALERSHIP.. I WANTED THEM TO RUN MY CREDIT AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS IN ORDER BEFORE MAKING THE 2 HOUR DRIVE OUT TO LONG ISLAND CITY... THE SALESMAN TOLD ME EVERYTHING WAS GREAT AND THAT HE RAN MY CREDIT AND GOT ALL MY PAPERWORK IN ORDER AND THAT THE CAR WAS READY, ALL I HAD TO DO WAS BRING THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AND THE DOWNPAYENT ($5, 000).

SO I LEFT AT 10:30AM AND MADE IT THERE BY 12PM AND THE CAR WAS THERE, LOOKED GOOD.. NO VISIBLE PROBLEMS..SO I SAID OK LETS FINISH UP THIS PAPERWORK, SO THE SALESMAN SAYS"OH WE HAVE TO RUN THE CREDIT AND EVERYTHING FIRST" (MEANWHILE HE ALREADY TOLD ME HE RAN IT) ... SO WHATEVER I FILL EVERYTHING OUT ALL OVER AGAIN AND HE WRITES DOWN THE PRICE OF THE CAR FOR THE ADVERTISED $24, 990 AND THEN HE THROWS IN A $3, 700 ADDITIONAL FEE ON TOP OF THAT, CLAIMING THIS IS THE "160 POINT CERTIFICATION FEE" THAT EVERY CAR THAT COMES IN NEEDS $3, 700 WORTH OF PARTS AND LABOR AND CLEANING. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A ORIGINAL CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED CERTIFICATION.. THIS IS A 60 DAY KG SUZUKI CERTIFICATION WHICH IN REALITY IS THE LAW AND THEY HAVE TO GIVE A 60 DAY WARRANTY REGARDLESS... SO I SAID FORGET IT AND WENT TO LEAVE AND THEN HE SAYS "OH WAIT WAIT LET ME SEE IF I CAN GO ANY LOWER ON THIS...SO HE COMES BACK WITH A $2600 FEE... I SAID WHATEVER LETS SEE WHAT THE BANK SAYS AND THEN WELL TALK PAYMENTS AND INTEREST...SO KNOWING I WOULD ONLY BE APPROVED FOR $21, 000 I SAID YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND RUN THE CREDIT BUT I WONT BE APPROVED..SO NOW THE CAR I WANTED FOR $24, 990 IS NOW $28, 080.00 THEN HE WANTED A $500 DEPOSIT JUST TO RUN THE CREDIT! TELLING ME DONT WORRY HE'LL GET ME APPROVED AND TO HANG OUT FOR 15 MINUTES...SO 4 HOURS LATER HE COMES BACK WITHOUT AN APPROVAL AND MY DEPOSIT AND SAYS SORRY HAVE A NICE DAY. I ALSO SPOKE TO A FEW PEOPLE WHILE WAITING AND EVERYONE WAS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED AND SAID THEY BEEN BACK AND FORTH FOR 3 DAYS.

ITS A TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE OF FALSE ADVERTISING AND THE OLD BAIT AND SWITCH SCAM JUST TO GET YOU IN THE DOOR...

-CAR WAS LISTED ON MANY WEBSITES FOR $24, 990 THRU KG SUZUKI BUT THEY ADD $3, 700 TO EVERY CARS PRICE CLAIMING IT FOR A CERTIFICATION FEE
-LIED ABOUT RUNNING MY CREDIT
-WASTED 4 HOURS
-BAIT AND SWITCH SCAM ADDED $3, 700 ONTO ADVERTISED PRICE
-DROVE 2 HOURS THERE AND 3 HOURS HOME IN TRAFFIC
-BASICALLY WASTED A WHOLE DAY AND PROBLY LOST 10 POINTS ON MY CREDIT SCORE
-DEALERSHIP WAS DIRTY AND PEOPLE WERE VERY UNPLEASANT TO DEAL WITH
-IN A ROUGH PART OF QUEENS
-carfax report was false..I went to Mercedes and ran the cars Vin number thru Mercedes service computer and found major history on the car which was not mentioned in kg suzukis carfax report

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND EVEN THINKING ABOUT GOING TO THIS DEALER.. ITS A ### HOLE AND THE PEOPLE SUCK AND THEIR $3, 700 CERTIFICATION FEE ISNT WORTH THE PAPER ITS PRINTED ON.

Ny

Comments

• Ne
      Nov 26, 2010

I saw a car listed on KG Suzuki's website that we were extremely interested in purchasing. They had a vehicle listed for 13, 990, which definitely caught my eye. I went in to see the vehicle in the evening and liked it a lot. However, when I wanted to test drive it, the keys were locked in an office and the person who had the keys left for the day. The sales rep that I had was nice and accommodating. I went to see the vehicle again with my husband and father on Saturday. My husband noticed the bumper was falling off and the cup holder and wood grain on the dashboard was cracked. We asked if the bumper could be fixed. The rep. stated he had to check with the manager. My husband kindly explained that he will not drive the car off of the lot unless it was fixed. The rep. stated he also had a BMW and drove his with the bumper falling off. How ridiculous is this! Eventually, we test drove the car and processed the paperwork. The rep. took a 500.00 deposit and explained that he would need to do a credit check. Then there was an issue with having a mailing address listed in New York State in order for the bank to process paperwork. The only way to purchase this vehicle is to finance. We wanted to pay cash but cash would not be accepted. There was a certification fee for 1, 360, which was for a 160 point check fee on the car. After sitting there for approx. three hours and having another customer be upset because the advertised price on the internet was different from the price in store, it caused concern. The night before I went to see the vehicle, it was listed for 12, 990 instead of 13, 990. The rep. stated it was an error with the company who lists the vehicles. That was the same reason the customer was upset and kindly let a rep. know that he lost $10, 000 cash because of the misrepresentation of the advertisement. We had a prior engagement and had to leave and as soon as we walked out of the door and was entering our vehicle, the rep. calls us back into the dealership to tell us that this manager worked something out with the bank and that we would not need a mailing address for the loan. When a person is purchasing a vehicle, it's supposed to be an exciting experience and you are supposed to feel happy about your purchase. I did not have this feeling. It felt like I was being ripped off and I felt very unsettled. At this point, we walked back in and was about to meet with a person regarding financing. Fortunately, we had to leave because the rep. was taking too long and we did not have a lot of time. I had already left a 500.00 deposit. The manager explained that if we did not follow through with our purchase, the deposit would be returned.

On Monday, I spoke with our sales rep. and explained that we would not be going through with the purchase. This also did not include taxes, etc. I explained to the rep that we would not purchase the vehicle. He became upset and frustrated. I thanked him for going above and beyond but we were no longer interested in purchasing the vehicle and requested the return of my 500 deposit, which I left via credit card. I followed up later that afternoon and then the next day. Each time I called, the excuse was I will get back to you. I was no longer interested in playing the phone game as it was obvious he was stalling to return my deposit. When I spoke with him, I let him know that he would return my deposit. At one point, he refused to speak with me via phone. While I was holding, he picked up the phone and said, "Hello, KG Suzuki." When I asked who was speaking, he paused and then said, "This is Fernando." This is the rep. who attempted to sell me the vehicle and would not return my deposit. He stated that refunds are processed on Fridays. I then asked him why he didn't explain it on Monday and Tuesday when we spoke. He hung up on me. I then spoke with the bookkeeper who stated she would return it. I then spoke with the manager and explained that I would never do business with the dealership and that the rep. named Fernando was VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. He wanted me to wait for the return of my deposit because I did not purchase the vehicle from him. Fernando was polite and helpful in the beginning. However, he was a fast-talker and I understand that being a car salesman and being genuine do not go hand in hand in certain cases. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS AT KG SUZUKI. I FOLLOWED MY GUT INSTINCT AND IT WORKED OUT FOR ME. THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWER THE PHONE ARE POLITE but that is as far as it goes!

Please follow your gut instincts. If it does not feel right, nine times out of ten, it probably isn't. I wish I did my homework before I even contacted this horrible dealership.