Jessica & Geoff Rutherford / Genetically ill shar-pei

In June of 2005. My fiancee and i purchased a Shar-pei from the Rutherfords. After spending $950 dollars on the dog, we have since learned about all of her genetic deffects. Today we recieved the worst news, a tumor, yet to be determined as to if it is malignant or not. this is just the last of several problems, umbilical hernia, shar-pei fever, tacking of eyes surgery, dislocating knees. nearly $4,000 later in vet bills here we are. These breeders are absolutley horrible people. They refuse to take any responsibility for their poor dogs or their horrible business and life values. BEWARE, and would not recomend purchasing a dog from these people.

Va

Comments

• Va
      1st of Nov, 2006

First off.. I have never seen a vet bill one.. I have got one email from these people reguarding this matter.. Sharpei's are a unique breed and if the owners have no clue how to care for them they can have issues. Not always the breeders fault. And some people never can be happy. I have several sharpei owners out there and have been breeding sharpei's since 2000. I have very happy puppy owners. This couple bought this puppy from me a 11/2 ago. I have not a heard a word from these people but one time over the belly botton hurnia which is a simple 30.00 surgery and easy to fix. Common to have a puppy now and then that has one.. Not life threatning. I emailed him and said i would take care of that for him. Never heard a word or seen a bill. Then now a year and half later all of this and nothing stating any of it is genetic or if even true. Plus the dog is way over the age of any guarantee. It would be like buying a car and when the warranty runs out u want the company to still fix the car would they no.. Plus Randy has been hateful and down right rude so my advice to him is you would get a lot further with kindness instead of rudness. We do have great sharpeis and lots of happy people out there with our dogs. We are very nice people and only want to help the sharpei breed out. But Randy can continue to think what he wants. I have done nothing wrong. His puppy came out of a litter of 8 and they all love there healthy, happy puppies so maybe it really isnt all genetics or the breeders fault. And meaness will get you no where. I know who I am and what kind of dogs I raise. I have great sharpei's no health problems and can u my vets number so she can tell you to. Have a great day and remember to live a happy life.

• Br
      4th of Jul, 2010

I also purchased a beautiful 3 month old male shar pei named Hamlet from Jessica Rutherford, unfortunately he too had severe medical problems and hereditary shar pei fever which caused him to turn septic and pass away. Along with my fiancee and i being broken hearted by losing our baby with 3 months of buying him we have also had horrible problems with the breeders returning our calls. Hamlet passed within 3 months of us receiving him which is clearly within the contract limits of the purchase agreement. We also have extensive documentation from the emergency vet as well as the LSU veterinary school that states the problem was hereditary and poor breeding. We spent hundreds of dollars and would have spent thousands more to keep our puppy alive, unfortunately he was unable to be saved from this condition and he died an awful and painful death. We contacted Jessica and explained what happened to him and at first she seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping. She said that this had never happened to her before and lied to us about never having a problem with shar pei fever. She did offer us another dog however we were both so attached to Hamlet that the thought of having another puppy that looked exactly like him was too difficult to deal with. Jessica agreed to refund us money instead of replacing Hamlet, she admitted that sending a new dog was more financially straining on her and that sending us money instead was better on her part also. We spent 900 dollars originally and settled on 400 being an appropriate refund amount. I understood that part of that 900 was the shipping and crate cost and knew that asking for that refunded as well was not right. However after us coming to this agreement she now refuses to answer my phone calls or e-mails. She has obviously decided to ignore us since she feels like we cannot get to her because we live so far away. I have repeatedly tried to get in touch with her however have had no luck getting her to answer the phone. At this point my fiancee and i are taking legal action and will be suing Matt and Jessica Rutherford for the full amount of the medical bills, the fee for the purchase of our puppy, and pain and suffering. My fiancee and I only want the matter resolved and feel that Jessica has stolen from us. We now have no other choice but to pursue legal action.