International Merchandise Services / SCAM

1 South Africa Review updated:

This company has now tried to scam me twice - but with no luck! After receiving their first scam letter telling me that I won a quarter of a million rand but needed to send R215 in order to redeem it, I decided to call their call centre as an "unsuspecting customer" trying to redeem the funds that I won. The con artist who answered had no clue what he was talking about and when I asked him how he got my details and how I had won this competition he could not provide me with a straight answer. I eventually told him that he was a liar, a cheat and a fraud and told him to lose my particulars. It is now two months later - and I have miraculously won another R100 000.00 from them!!! This time, they have replaced the telephone number with a fax number and all I have to do is send R212.90 to them in order to get this paid out to me.

I wish these criminals could be tracked so that they can get what they deserve!

Comments

4th of Nov, 2008

Received express dispatch claim form, stating that i need to complete a the claim form and forward my credit card details to them for the the amount of R 157.90. in order to claim a PC, or TV, or DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA ETC, to the value of R 7500.00 ABSOLUTELY FREE. Be aware.

• Lu
      17th of Nov, 2008

I have been receiving same notifications from these fraudsters for about 2 years. Intially I was stupid and twice sent money but no longer so don't know why they bother with me still. I also tried to get a phone no. in "Eppindust" where ever that may be !!

11th of Feb, 2009

hello, I too was told that to claim I was to pay (which I did) to this day NOTHING!

Once bitten twice shy!!!

So, its GOODBYE TO INTERNATIONAL MERCHISE SERVICES!!!

• Tb
      22nd of Oct, 2009

I have just received their latest creative letter leading me to believe I have won a 32" LCD Television..they mention a Small or Big LCD device with the 2 TVs pictured as the catch to lure you in .however the small print on the back gives the odds at winning a small LCD device to be 1:1 if I pay then R139 - and the 2 TVs at 1:160000 - so what is this 'small device' I am guaranteed to win?? they do not say...for sure it will be something not worth the R139 !

So many are getting suckered in by their clever wording...can they not be brought to task for such misleading statements!

• Ke
      2nd of Nov, 2009

I too have recently received a similar letter saying that I am the "potential" recipient of a R 500, 000.00 prize.
    All I have to do is send them a R 99.90 acquisition fee. Gee ! - Lucky me !

I agree that these crooks should be locked up.
    I have sent my "Lucky Winner" documentation to the local fraud squad to follow up.

• Cm
      6th of Aug, 2010

I have received a letter saying that I have won a motor vehicle and have to pay R 149.90 for delivery. But no contact details are provided to follow up with their postage. Further more they say that if it is delivered to the wrong address, they will not take responsibility. They ask for payment to be done to: International Merchandise Services, see if any one can find out about them, and confirm.

What a load of bull. Please watch out there are to many scams going around.

• Gi
      18th of Aug, 2010
    INTERNATIONAL MERCHADISE SERVICES - FRAUDELANT SCAM
    IMS
    South Africa

MY HUSBAND RECEIVE A LETTER IN THE MAIL TELLING US THAT WE WON R115000, 00 AND ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS MAIL BACK THE ORDER FORM WITH AN AMOUNT OF R139.00 FOR THE " PENDANT" THAT WE ORDERED.
    MY HUSBAND WAS CLEVER ENOUGH TO NOTICE THAT THERE WASN'T A CONTACT NO. AND CUSTOMER SERVICE NO. ON THE LETTER AND THAT MADE HIM CURIOUS. WE CHECKED ON THE INTERNET FOR SOME CONTACT DETAILS AND THERE IT WAS, A SCAM.

I'M SO GLAD FOR ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED THEY COMPLAINTS, THAT MADE US AWARE.

HAIBO THESE CON -ARTIST!!!

• Bu
      19th of Aug, 2010

i received a scratch card in my M-Net magazine sealed plastic booklet celebrating 21st anniversary of which i submitted because i had three matching symbols, i then received a travel voucher worth R10.000 from travel clips, and another voucher telling me if i sent an extra R129, 00 i would stand a chance to win a number of prizes that had not been claimed, eg: lcd tv /laptop/diamond pendant/cellphone and a host of other items including R100.000 .I have also been promised a pay out of R115.000.00 from international merchandise services private bag x15 eppindust, if i send anotherR139.00 i will get the diamond pendant thought it was to good to be true i have lost just over R280.00

• Gr
      21st of Sep, 2010

Neem goeie raad:
    NEVER DEAL WITH SOMEONE WHO LIVES IN AND OPERATES FROM A POST BOX !!!

• Fc
      30th of Sep, 2010

WERE DO I START .INTERNATIONAL MERCHANDISE SERVICES... THESE PEOPLE GIVE YOU FALSE HOPE AND PROMISES. LAST YEAR I WON R50000 AND A CAR I ALL SO HAD TO SEND THEM A FEE WHICH I NOW AM SORRY OVER .THIS YEAR I WON ANOTHER CAR AND R115000 AND R50000 ALL WITH RELEASE FEES.( STUPID IS WHAT STUPID DOES).O AND I NEARLY FORGOT THE TV THEY WERE GOING TO DELIVER ON THE 12TH OF MARCH 2010 IN TIME FOR THE WORLD CUP HAHA.STILL NO DELIVERY. THEY SEND YOU A LETTER TELLING YOU THAT YOU HAVE WON A TV OR A DVD PLAYER OR A DIGETAL CAMERA OR WAIT FOR A PENDANT.YOU RECEIVE THE PENDANT EVERY TIME I HAVE SIX OF THEM TO PROVE THE FACT .I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT.WHY PUT A PENDANT WITH SUCH ITEMS AS A TV DVD AND CAMERA. I HAVE KEPT ALL THE MAIL I RECEIVED WITH ALL THE PHOTO STATS OF FALSE PROMISES AND THE MONEY I HAVE SENT TO THEM AND ALL THE BANK SLIPS . I AM GOING TO GO TO THE FRAUD SQUAD TO SHOW THEM. I HAVE HAD IT WITH THEM AND THERE VASE PROMISES . THEY HAVE RIPPED ME OF FOR THE LAST TIME, AND I HOPE THEY ROT IN HELL AS I AM A PENSIONER AND EVERY RAND IS IMPORTANT TO MY WIFE AND I . THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT I WAS HOPING ALL THE TIME THAT IS WAS TRUE . TO GIVE MY WIFE AND I A BETTER LIFE FOR THE TIME WE STILL HAVE ON THIS EARTH. PS .NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY YOU WILL NEVER SPEAK TO MR PIRIE OR MR BURGER OR ANDERSON OR JENNY -ANN OR MR WALBRUGH THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE NAMES ON THESE LETTERS I HAVE RECEIVED. I DO TEND TO WONDER IF THESE PEOPLE REALLY EXIST. DO NOT EVEN TRY TO SPEAK TO ONE OF THE PERSONS ON THE PHONE, THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON

• Ge
      5th of Oct, 2010

Hi all, i also received a letter claming that i have won but decided to 1st do some research on them and came accross this blog. Please see details below for the director of International Merchandise Services for those who would like to take the matter further.

Buckham, Jean
    adminfax : 021-5317384
    adminemail : ctheart@lifestylemail.co.za

• Ge
      8th of Oct, 2010

Thanks for the early warning! I have just fed my letter with wonderful promises to the shredder.

• Ve
      8th of Oct, 2010

Hi there.

Thanks for the warning.
    I also received a letter from International Merchantile Services stating that I won 3 holidays with Travelclips and the promise of a gift, I must send R149 to claim my gift.

Vera-lynn

• Rv
      21st of Oct, 2010

I have received the same letter from this people with the same travel voucher and a promise of a big prize if I send them R129-90. I have called the cape town number on top of the letter and asked a lot of questions about the "scam". The answer was that they do not know about this website, that they have their own website with a different address. The man promised me that I will receive one of the prices on my list (laptop, Garmin, cellphone, camera, dishwasher, diamont pendant etc.) He twice promised me that this is not a scam and the prize will be worth much more than the R129-90 postage!!! Why don't I believe them???

22nd of Oct, 2010

Hi

Thanks for your input, the same happend to my husband.
    first he "WON" R125, 000.00, and all we had to do is to send R157.00 to get a longsome check or 5 monthly paimants.
    Yesterday we resieved a nother letter to say that he "WON" R50 00, 00, and we also have "WON" 3 hollidays with TRAVIL CLIPS, and know after reading this i can see that this is just a total SCAM.

THANKS

JANINE BARNARDO

• Fu
      22nd of Oct, 2010

Good Blog. Thanks to the nett. we can all investigate .These people will never stop as they will alwayes hook some fish. 2008 ...2010 still they keep on trying...and still there is those that will take the bait if you like. If its too good to be tue it probably is bla bla bla..

G.

• Co
      26th of Oct, 2010

I also received a scratch card in the People magazine. As there were 3 matching symbols, I sent them R129-00. I have just received notice of a R115, 000 prize and before I did anything, I thought I would google this company. I am so glad I did. I also noticed that there are NO telephone numbers on this document, only fax numbers. Thanks for posting this possble scam. You just saved me R139-90.

• Re
      26th of Oct, 2010

Hi, my mom received that scratchcard in the Keur magazine. Also won R10 000.00 travel voucher. She gave it to me for my honeymoon. I phoned the number on the voucher and the lady "Laika" from Travel Clips said that it is a voucher for accommodation only and all flights and food is my expense. I really want to believe them. Can somebody please tell me if this is a scam or not.

26th of Oct, 2010

Hi I have received a scratchcard in the Keur Magazine for their 21st Anniversary Celebration. If we dit not received our award in 14 days we can contact ther Customor Service on (021) 530-4300. Were they explain that they have a high volume of calls and if the querie is related to the late delivery we must be patient. Well I have then received a day later a Leter from International Merchandise Service Warehouse Distributen Office with no Address on ther lette telling me that I have Won the top Award of a Holiday voucher that was included Namely Travel Clips and secondly that I have been entered to win R100 000.00 and that I have been specifically selected to received another award as listed on their letter Where I have to pay a R129.90 for the selected price to be deliver to me. I log on to the website of travel clips and could not vind the Specials Icon to view the available offers.
    Is this a Scam??? Sarie Brits

• Re
      27th of Oct, 2010

Hi, my mom also won a travel voucher in Keur magazine and she gave it to me for my honeymoon. As sceptical as I am, I phoned Travel Clips and Keur and Customer services officer Heidi Hendricks 021-5304312. She explained to me that this prizes are real. They are the company that do the promotions and that they use Travel Clips as a travel agency because they are both located in Cape Town. The R129 is not compulsary but if you want some of the other merchandise you can pay it.
    The travel voucher is for free accommodation at a hotel and 10 - 70 % discount at a self catering place. All you need to pay is travelling and food.
    Heidi also gave me their correct web address: www.imservices.co.za.

I'm still looking into the accommodations if they are legit. I will keep you posted on my findings

Rene