Household Bank / Account Problems

On 11/29/11 at approximately 10:00 pm, I called in to activate my new credit card. I was asked a series of questions such as my full social, full name and mother's maiden name. The representative then continued another series of questions that was "obtained from public records" and "may or may not pertain to me." I went on to answer these questions and then I was told that they could not verify my identity. Appalled, I could not understand why this was so since everything that was asked I had answered. Personally, I do not understand how some of the questions such as what kind of car I drive could even be used to verify my identity since they were never initially provided to Household Bank. In addition, a question was asked regarding two relatives which I did not know the answer to. According to the supervisor, this information should have been known by myself, but I fail to see how this would verify my identity.

I would like to be personally contacted regarding my account that I have had since 2005. I do not believe that such security questions can verify my identity. Not once was I asked my date of birth and I was readily available to answer any and all personal information. I do not want to send it additional paperwork to verify my account. I would like to close my account immediately.

Jo

Comments

• Je
      18th of Nov, 2008
    Household Bank - Didn't help on my disputed over a purchase that was place on my credit card without my Knowledge
    HouseHold bank HSBC
    PO Box 60102 ,CA 91716-0102
    City of Industry
    California
    Phone: 1-800-771-7339
    hsbccreditcard.com

I receive and e-mail stating that I had made a large purchase with my credit card. I then contact my credit card and they said I need to call the place I had the purchase with. I can't understand why they didn't help me resolve this.

• La
      24th of Nov, 2008

The bank is required by law to help you resolve this.

If they refuse file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Office of Thrift Supervision

• St
      11th of Mar, 2009

I received my bill this month and Household WITHOUT any notice had lowered my 2 accounts credit limits. One was lowered from $8000.00 to a mere $900.00 the other from again $8000.00 to $1800.00 after being a customer of their's for 9 years and with excellent credit. My accounts could have gone over their new credit limits without me even knowing about it. I called the CSR who not only could not speak the English Language let alone understand it, tried to tell me that a notice was sent out last week, yet I received no notice what so ever on any of my accounts. Household is a sub-standard bank with sub-standard practices that have gotten the US in the trouble in which it is in today. Household should concentrate their energy on getting their monies from those that owe it and leave those customers alone with whom pay their bills. I WILL NOT do business with such a bank and with their standards and have simply paid off my accounts. Does anyone know if this is practice is legal? If not does anyone wish to jump on the band wagon with myself and sock it back to this sub-standard bank?

• Wy
      20th of Mar, 2009

I'm not sure if that's legal or not, but I did ran into a lot of trouble while dealing with the same credit card issuer (Household Bank). However, heres a website that helps people to find answers when dealing with national banks (I don't believe Household is national though).

• Ni
      11th of Jul, 2009
    Household Bank - Terrible bank
    householdbank.com

Refused to lower the interest rate on my card. It has been going up up up and I always pay on time and pay more than is required to pay.

• He
      29th of Jul, 2009
    Household Bank - Overcharged
    householdbank.com

The payment date is not constant and changes in different months. When making a payment buy phone you are charged $15.00 additional processing fee.

• Gd
      1st of Mar, 2010
    Household Bank - fees
    Maine

They made a transfer even after I cancelled and then put me over the limit by charging me interest with out giving me a chance to pay in full first!!!

• Ca
      1st of Mar, 2010

Household bank is a joke.They raised my interest from 17 to 27% for nothing.I was never late or over my limit.I told them to take a hike.

• Mj
      11th of Mar, 2010

Household bank and HSBC are jokes. Same things here.

• Ka
      21st of May, 2010
    Household Bank - Lowering my Interest Rates
    Beaverton
    Oregon

I got a phone call a few moments ago, a lady wanted to know if I wanted to lower my interest rates on my HB Mastercard account...I pressed 9 for yes.

Another person came on, a man, and started to ask me for my cc info, I said I didn't have it, he said he needed it, I said just tell me about the interest rates, and was I qualified? He hung up on me.

What?

• Vl
      16th of Jun, 2010

They pull the same thing on me and continue to mail me my bill late so they can charge me "late fees"