Homeschool Stockroom / Treated very poorly

Rochester, NY, US Review updated:

The woman at Homeschool Stockroom doesn't want my business. Please read the following.

After waiting a month for my order, UPS tried to deliver it, and I discovered that Homeschool Stockroom requires UPS to get a signature for delivery. I had ordered home school supplies from two other companies and didn't have to sign for anything. I am not home during the day, so signing was a problem. I talked to UPS but the options they gave me were not agreeable: 1) pay to send my package to a different address on a different day or 2) drive 45 minutes to their place of business to pick up the package.

Out of frustration, I e-mailed Homeschool Stockroom, told them of the problem I was having and said that they should tell customers that they will have to sign for things.

Here are the e-mails I got back:

She wrote: I am willing to bet you did not purchase the same type of materials
>> elsewhere, did you?? If so where did you purchase from?? If the other
>> company(s) had the same materials at the same or better prices why did you
>> not purchase all the materials from them? Doesn't kinda make sense,
>> anyway...
>> 99% of our customers LOVE having to sign as it insures their package is
>> not left out in the rain, stolen or damaged. There is a very small
>> percentage, such as yourself that does not agree and for that we are
>> sorry, however it ensures the safety of your package. Also, our packages
>> do NOT require a signature of a person over the age of 21. Anyone can
>> sign.
>> Also if you have a issue with the fees that UPS charges that you contact
>> them in regards to those issues as we have no control over the fees
>> imposed by UPS for shipping and/or address changes.
>> Please let us know if you have any further questions.

I replied:

First of all--what wonderful customer service you have! NOT! Where did you
> get your training? Who is your supervisor. I would like a name and phone
> number, please. I purchased the rest of my home school curriculum from
> McGruffy Press, directly, and from Christianbooks.com. Did I say in my
> e-mail that I purchased items from them for a cheaper price then yours? No,
> I did not. Their prices were slightly higher on some things (by cents in
> some instances), and other items you simply did not carry. However, I'm
> willing to pay extra for: 1) timely delivery (within a week or two) 2)
> hassle free delivery and 3) excellent customer service that I received from
> BOTH businesses, unlike what I am getting from you. Again, name and phone
> number for a supervisor is requested.

Then I got this e-mail from her:

THAT WOULD BE MYSELF...OWNER!
>> GROW UP YOU BABY, BOO HOO! PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK, REALLY. WHAT A
>> SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT YOU MUST FEEL YOU HAVE..."NOT" WITH AN EMPHASIS TO
>> USE THE NEGATIVE PRONOUN IN YOUR APPARENT UNDERSTANDING AND IMPROPER USE
>> OF ENGLISH SPEECH. MIGHT I SUGGEST A GRAMMAR BOOK?
>> WHRE DID YOU GET YOUR TRAINING IN BEING A CUSTOMER? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK
>> YOU ARE SO SPECIAL OR HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMPAIN ABOUT OUR PROCEDURES OR A
>> SHIPPING COMPANY'S PROCEEDURES?
>> PLEASE PENNY SPENDERS LIKE YOU ARE A DIME A DOZEN...GIVE YOUR MISERABLE
>> BUSINESS BACK TO THEM, WE DONT NEED NOR WANT IT HERE!

***** She actually sent a third e-mail with foul language in it, so I'm not posting it.

Comments

• Ho
      Oct 08, 2009

After reading the way that you were treated with this company makes me question if these are the same BOGUS people that I am dealing with at www.homeschoolcurriculumshop.com. Both companies are in NY. Homeschool curriculum shop's info is
    Homeschool Curriculum Shop
    2604 Elmwood Ave Ste 159
    Brighton, New York 14618
    [protected] Phone

The websites are set up the exact same and they have treated me the same way that homeschoolstockroom has treated you. The ladies (if you could call them that) more like monsters acted in the same manner as what you described.

I believe your story and feel that whoever posted how good they are must work for them. People like us need to band together and put people like that out of business and behind bars. It is so sad that monsters like them prey on good people like us. Is it really worth it to steal from others just to make a buck and to sell your soul to the devil??? I think not. Like the saying goes Karma is a ###. What goes around comes around and they will get theirs.

• Ag
      Oct 14, 2009

I also have purchased from Homeschool Stockroom two years in a row. Last year wasn't so bad. But this year, I have only received a partial shipment, and when I call about the rest of my order that has not come in, no one answers or returns my call. I just heard back from them through email and was told NO ONE was going to call me back as it was horrendus that I would be calling and complaining about my order. However, several attempts by email, and phone have gone unanswered. Now I am being told some male caller left yelling and screaming messages. Hmmm...Last I knew, I was a female. I was still told that they wouldn't tell me anything about my order. I feel as though it is close to time to file with my attorney as it is now Nov. and I placed the order in Aug.

• Ro
      Nov 20, 2009

Home School Curriculum shop is the same entity.

Please review my letter to the NY Attorny general for details of our same issue. They are certainly skilled at evading.

10/10/2009
    NYS Attorney General
    Consumer Fraud Bureau
    State Capitol
    Albany, NY 12224

VIA Facsimile

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to request your involvement in a dispute matter with the Home School Curriculum Shop in Brighton, New York. Their current operations address is 2604 Elmwood Ave, Suite 159, Brighton, New York, 14618. Their list phone number is [protected].

In July of this year we purchased full home school curriculum for the grades 7, 9, and 11 via their website, http://www.homeschoolcurriculumshop.com. Purchase was made on 7-3-2009.

We paid via check for a sum total of $1787.50. Check was mailed via US Mail and was cashed on July 10th.

Per the company website orders would be shipped within 4 weeks of check being cashed.

On or about August 13th, 2009, at the request of my wife, I made a call to the company via their toll free number to inquire as to when our shipment would arrive as their website was still not showing our order as even processed.

I had to call their number about 10 times before a real person would answer the line. They have an answering machine that answers their calls most of the time.

Once I was able to connect to a live person I was told that the order should be shipping within a few days as they were very busy with orders. When I pressed them for a tracking number their statement to me was that they could not provide that number because all of their shipments are handled manually and the warehouse does not have the facility to enter the tracking numbers. Tracking numbers are entered manually by their support staff and because they are so busy filling orders, they simply can't keep up with entering the tracking numbers into their computer system. I was then told I would have the order by next Tuesday and if we did not to call them back for further assistance.

The order did not arrive on Tuesday. This then started a series of calls from me to them with almost the exact same end as above with each call. I believe I made about 8-10 contacts with them from the period of August 13th and the 28th of August.

Finally, on or about August 28th a box arrived from their company. My wife, Sonja signed for the box.

Upon opening, the box contained a portion of each curriculum and no packing list. The box also contained a small note called Multiple Shipments. The essence of the note was that our order was coming in additional shipments and they should arrive no later than 9/7/2009. Call them if they do not.

Well, they did not arrive.

Again, I called them on or about the 8th of September. After many, many attempts, they finally answered the phone. I was told the product was being shipped from multiple locations from around the country and to give it a few more days.

After a few more days, on calling them again, I was told the order had arrived in the warehouse and they were in process of sorting it out. The remainder of our order should be shipped within 48 hours.

It was at this time I discerned that we would likely never receive the balance of our shipment. I asked them if we could simply be refunded our money for the remainder of the product not shipped I was told "In order to receive a refund, you must ship back to us the entire curriculum in like new condition. At which time, you will receive a full refund." When I told them this was not possible as we have not receive the full curriculum, the woman on the other end of the line laughed at me and said "Well, that's our policy. Ship back the entire curriculum and we will refund your money".

At this point, I began to take other routes.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in New York. Only to find out there have been 15 like complaints with the BBB over the past 12 months. The majority (12) are on delivery issues. Their response to the BBB complaint was that we have in fact received the full order.

I filed a complaint with the New York Consumer Protection Bureau with the same net result. They state we have received the order in full. The NYCPB pressed them harder to provide signatures for not only the first shipment but for the other two(2) denoted on the note enclosed in the first box which arrived on the 28th. They were unable to provide signatures to the NYCPB and sent a hand written fax to them stating we are simply trying to gain free materials.

I contacted the local police department in Brighton about mid September and spoke to a very nice detective. He promised to call them for us, and he did. He called back the same day I initially spoke with him and his comments to us were that clearly this company has been through this many times. He stated that he too had to call many, many times to simply get them to answer the phone. Among his findings, they knew all the correct legal terms to stonewall the police department and used them. He said there was nothing further that he could do and we must take up the matter in civil court.

I have filed a mail fraud case with the United States Post office this past week.

I am hoping that your offices will consider getting involved in this matter to assist us.

We are only wanting the remainder of what we paid for to be shipped to us immediately or a full refund for the missing books and products. The money we paid to them is a lot for our family and from what I can gather regarding their operations, they are doing this to other families as well and I would like it stopped.

I have enclosed the following for your review.

Initial Invoice
    Cashed Check Copy
    E-Mail Correspondence with their firm
    List of Product still missing
    Note Enclosed with shipment that arrived on the 28th of August
    E-mail from the BBB regarding their status with them along with their response to our complaint
    Letter and their faxed response to the NYCPB complaint

If there is further information you need, please contact me at [protected] which is our florist business. I can also be reached via e-mail at [protected]@gmail.com or via US mail at Robert Anthony, 26 Broadway, Kissimmee, FL 34741

Sincerely,
    Robert Anthony
    [protected]
    26 Broadway
    Kissimmee, FL 34741

• Ti
      Nov 24, 2009

Here is another story about the Home School Curriculum Shop in Brighton, NY. On Aug 5th, my wife called and placed an order for a 6th grade and 8th grade full curriculum package. We did this over the phone because we wanted to substitute the 6th grade math and science with 7th grade from our gifted son. We were told that we would receive the product in 4-6 weeks. On Sept 9, we called them up to inquire as to a delivery date. We were told that the product had shipped and should be there in a day or 2. We waited for a week, and called back when nothing arrived and asked for a tracking number. We were then told that the research dept would get back to us with a tracking number. After more days of back and forth, I asked to speak to a supervisor, owner, etc. and was told NO, that the customer service dept. was there to handle these calls. When I told her that she was not doing a very good job of that, the woman told me I was being abusive and hung up on me. At this time I had to call back from a different phone number, since calls from my home and cell were being ignored. When I got thru, I told the lady to cancel my order. She refused and said the order had shipped. I explained that since they had no proof of that, that I was cancelling. She again refused, at which point I informed her that I wold contact my credit card company to initiate a chargeback. Their response to thios was to lie, and claim that we had purchased a download and agreed to terms that stated all sales final, no refunds. They even faked up a web pages and printed a screen shot of it to prove their case. Unfortunately, when my bank/credit card co. received this, they sent a letter to me to respond to, but I never received it. I am now in the process of appealing that, and believe that I will win, but if not, I will sue them to get my money back. These people need to be shut down.

And homeschoolstockroo.com is the same company. I purchased from homeschoolcurriculumshop, but the fake web screen shot ws faked using th homeschoolstockroom web site format.

Tim

• Ho
      Dec 14, 2009

Does anyone know if we can start a class action lawsuit and how? We need to put a stop to this company and their employees.

• Yt
      Dec 30, 2009

This is something that we are doing. We have applied for membership to all the the Yahoo groups (HOMESCHOOLING) and we are sending e-mail to all the members to stay away from this company.

• Yt
      Dec 30, 2009

This company stole 1, 236 from us. They need to be stopped.