Hollister / Child Denied Use of Bathroom

This evening I took my daughters shopping for clothing. My oldest daughter wanted to purchase a number of items from Hollister . Shortly after we arrived, my daughter gathered numerous items to try, and I was prepared to spend a substantial amount of money as she has outgrown all her clothes. At that time, my 7 year old daughter informed me that she had to use a restroom immediately. I asked the sales associate if my daughter could please use the restroom, but she told me "no". I was shocked and quite disappointed. I told my older daughter to put the clothing down as we had to leave in search of a restroom. We were lucky to leave before my daughter urinated on the floor, which would have been a fine mess for the sales associate to have to clean up.

This Hollister store is located at an outdoor mall. I didn't know where I could find a bathroom, and the sales associate offered no directions or advice. Therefore, I had to leave quickly, load my children in the car as fast as possible and drive to a restaurant where my daughter could use a restroom.

It is a shame that the company does not value its customers. I completely understand that these stores have company policies that don't allow public access to their restrooms, but could it really hurt to let a child use the facility in an emergency situation?

I am so disappointed in my shopping experience at Hollister.

Comments

• Mo
      18th of May, 2011

Hope you didn't go back and make a purchase there. I wouldn't shop in a children's store (of all places) that didn't provide a rest room. Kids are kids, when they gotta go, they gotta go. A store that sells kid's clothes, should be kid friendly.

• Po
      18th of May, 2011

While I can understand being disappointed by it, I feel Hollister is geared more towards teenagers and young adults. Their clientele does not appear to be young children. If requiring a facility is a necessity for you, I would recommend double checking with staff or shopping only at locations that have accessible restrooms.

Their restroom may have been located inside of an employee-only zone (with secure items), and lower level employees generally cannot make exceptions to the rule. I understand your frustration but I also understand the store's policies and sticking to them.

• Jk
      19th of May, 2011

You completely understand that these stores have company policies that don't allow public access to their restrooms.

• Mo
      19th of May, 2011

I'm just saying..if they are a store that sells clothing for small children then they should have a bathroom available. Small children, small bladders, busy parents...just don't make it difficult to patronize the store.