GreenPoint Mortgage / Failure to report refi charges I paid to the IRS

When I refinanced my home loan to a fix in December of 2005, Greenpoint immediately took more than $6600 off the top of the loan in fees in pre-paid taxes and then failed to report the amout to the IRS. Then the loan was immediately sold to Countrywide Mortgage. As these amounts are clearly documented on my final HUD docs, I filed my tax returns only to find more than a year later that theses funds were never reported by the company. Now, I face possible pending costs in taxes plus fines from the IRS. I have verified the amts with Investors Title Company who also advised me that Greenpoint had filed for bankruptcy.

When I attempted to obtain an explanation and documentation from Greenpoint so it could be presented to the IRS, I was hung-up on, and given the run-around. At one point, I was told that there were no finance charges taken. I did eventually reach someone who agreed to accept my faxed documentation and complete a documents search, but that was more than almost 45 days ago and no one has gotten back to me. I can't be the only person this has happened to. This is not right and Greenpoint should not be allowed to get away with this.

Comments

• Ni
      9th of Mar, 2008

what you described is exactly what predatory lenders do, and its exactly why Countrywide is now being investigated by the FBI for securities fraud.
    Keep making calls, and get attention to your situation and maybe you'll finally get some help. I would be surprised that the IRS wont back up a bit after knowing the investigation is underway and you have paperwork showing everything.
    good luck