Unicorn Financial Services Complaints & Reviews

Unicorn Financial ServicesUnethical Harassment - Unicorn Financial Services

This is the most scandalous company I have ever heard. I have no contract with them whatsoever but apparently was included in someone else's application as a reference. I am getting daily calls to ask me to tell the person (with the contract) to call them. I informed the contract holder that they need to do so and told the individual from Unicorn who calls daily the same. This impertanent and rude woman then informed me that they will call me once per day until the contract holder calls them. This is absolute harassment as I have no contractual connection with this company and I intend to contact the FCC regarding this abuse.

• He
    Heather Albertson Mar 08, 2008

This is completely illegal, and you can report them to the FTC, your state Attorney General, and the state AG for the "home state" of Unicorn. There's a great bit of information about this issue at the FTC.gov website. You might also try recording several of their phone calls, then playing them back for their local police. (Be sure you advise them that you are recording the call, and check whether recording telephone calls is legal in your state.)

Meanwhile, suggest strongly that you check your credit reports, because if they'll break the law this way, they will break it many other ways, too.

Andrew McSherry Apr 08, 2008

As a follow up to this harassment. The patient holder had me taken off the contact info with this company. Apparently, they are now placing unsolicited phone calls to her neighbours. Is this illegal also?

Unicorn Financial ServicesExorbitant fee for pay by phone!

I had to have emergency dental work and was hot with a large bill. The dentist said, "no worry." I have a finance company that will finance the bill for six months with 0 percent interest. Great! I sign the application and left the office. Almost before I got home the bill from Unicorn was waiting in my mailbox. Almost said! It said that my payment was due in 21 days. As I had to go out of the country I thought I would pay online when I got home. Well the fact that this company does not have the capability to pay online tells you that they are not very credible or lack serious technology in the society we live today. I called them and asked about a telephone payment. The "nice" lady said, Sure, it is an additional $24.95!!! I said, "Wait, it doesn't say that any where on your statement." I was told that I was correct but that it was on the original agreement I turned into the dentist. I don't ever recall receiving a copy! I was given the option of mailing the payment and have it be late and face a $39,00 late fee plus cancellation of he 0% interest or pay the $24.95 phone payment. I would be glad to join a class action suit for unfair practices.

Unicorn Financial ServicesIllegal finance charges!

This company has figured out how to screw people. They tell you no finance charges as long as you make your payments on time. Then they don't send you a statement hoping you'll not remember on your own and then instead of calling you or contacting you, they go to your references and instruct them to call you. I always paid on time. One month they didn't send a statement, so they didn't get a payment. My original references I used when I opened the account with Unicorn called me to tell me that Unicorn was calling them instructing my references to get in touch with me. Instead of calling my house or my cellphone, they were calling my references!!! I called them and asked them why they didn't call my house or my cellphone but they refused to discuss it with me unless I gave them my social security number. I immediately paid the bill which was then 20 days late even though I never received an invoice. They then billed me for all the interest I would have owed had I not paid every month on time ... don't use this company, they are vicious. I pay every bill every month on time, never had a problem with anyone until I got involved with this company. And now I find out you can't even pay off the loan without them charging you full interest for the term of the loan. I have also reported them to BBB. Let's hope that someone is watching this piece of crap company.

Unicorn Financial ServicesFinance charges and lack of customer service!

In October I applied with Unicorn as I need to have a lot of expensive dental work done. I, too, thought this was interest free if paid within a certain time. NOT SO. I mailed my October payment (imagine my surprise, one due 10/24, when I applied 10/1) on 10/19/07 with due date 10/24. This check was cashed 10/23/07. I mailed the November payment 11/17/07 due to the holiday, and they claim to have not received it till 11/26/07; therefore zapping me with a $39 fee. I called their "customer service" number, and spoke with a demeaning little witch, who reminded me that there was a holiday in there, hello, I knew that, and continually interrupted me while attempting to point out to her that the previous payment was mailed later and received earlier and cashed timely. When I asked to speak with her supervisor, she hung up. I called back, and got her again. Again I asked to speak with a supervisor, she refused to give me the supervisor''s name. Finally, after 3 tries, she did give it to me, but then in a demeaning tone, spelled it to me as well.

I believe their website is misleading as it does give the option of interest free payments. That is not what you get.

Unicorn Financial ServicesUnicorn Financial Services

I too did business with Unicorn Financial Services. I signed up for their o.oo% financing for 12 months for my teeth. I made every payment on time however my last payment which was mailed out the exact same time as all others - Unicorn is saying that they did not recieve it until two weeks after it was mailed. Furthermore their shady customer service reps are rude and did not want to hear me out. Now they are saying I owe a late fee plus back dated interest. I spoke to a supervisor and he said "we researched it and you have to pay us" This company is a load of crap and a huge scam. I have already reported them to the BBB and they will never see a dime from me.

• Il
    ila arkin-granieri Dec 31, 2007

I have a horrible complaint against Unicorn Financial Services!!
    On 10/29/07 my account summary was $39.00
    I tried to pay it electronically on line with all my
    other bills. They do not accept payment that way
    so I called at that time and explained that I was
    mailing a check. It would be a few days late since
    I was a single Mom and had just lost my job.
    I was financed $54.48
    In November I called Mr Avenetti in the collections
    dept. to explain my predicament and that I had
    paid all my monthly payments for almost 2 years
    straight on time!! He researched my phone calls
    to Claudine Chavez who was extremely cruel, insulting, harassing, and non relentless and discovered I had called previous times to explain
    I had sent a check and it crossed in the mail.
    I own a home, have a minor child pay two car payments, and insurances etc and have an overhead
    of over $4,000 a month. And for the first time in my
    life thought I might become homeless with my son.
    Mr. Avenetti waivered the finance charge of $54.48
    but not the late fee of $39.00
    My bill at this time became $132.00 which I explained would be paid not in 11/21/07 but within
    a few weeks since I had just started training for a
    new job in West Palm Beach though I live in Weston,
    and they pay bimonthly and I was refinancing my
    home to survive.
    A week before Christmas I was let go of my new job
    and so was my boss whom I worked with previously
    for 5 years at another company.
    I was in the process of a refinance, so I immediately
    started looking for a job. I felt desperate and had
    a car accident that night.
    The title company called all my accounts and got
    the buy off amounts and received the amount of
    $132.00 from Unicorn Financial.
    I received the checks today 12/31/07 which were
    cut 12/27/07 by the Title company.
    This morning Claudine Chavez called me. I have
    had trouble sleeping worrying about finding
    employment (unemployment hasn't arrived yet)
    my Dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer the
    day I was let go, and I am afraid to drive my car
    since the accident.
    Claudine first began to scream at me that it was a
    disgrace for me to be sleeping at 11Am on a Monday
    morning. I tried to explain, all the events. That there
    was no food for my kid, no money for Christmas,
    my Dad was dying and I was trying every day to find
    a job asap. She continued to harass me, call me
    names and scream. I informed her of my conversation with Mr. Avenetti and that I was
    sending the paid in full check from the title company
    today for the entire $132.00. She kept screaming
    at me, never let me talk, bullied me, threatened me,
    and told me my bill was now compounded to $212.00.
    I need to investigate her, and have a call in to my
    two older sons, both high ranking police officers
    and my attorney.
    First, I seem to never ever be able to pay this off!!
    Second, every other company agreed the payoff
    date of 12/27/07 was the amount given to the
    title company of the exact totals on each bill.
    Third, Ms Chavez behavior is not only harassment,
    threatening, frightening and the lowest of unprofessionalism.
    I have worked 25 years straight even up to giving birth 3 times and 2 weeks after. I have a college
    degree, and have been in a customer service position
    all my adult life. Ms. Claudine Chavez and how
    she tortured me, during the worst time of my life
    needs some legal action.
    I truly believe my civil rights as a person was infringed upon.
    The monthly statements need some legal research
    regarding scamming. I have mailed the check
    for $132.00 but am sure that amount is inflated.
    Steve Longo who answered my call today had no
    answers and Mr. Avenetti, in charge of that
    department could not be found, nor has he
    returned my call - so far, today.
    I pray that no other innocent customers have met
    with the wrath of Ms Chavez and Unicorn Financial
    Rip offs. Not only does it seem unjust but pitifully
    wrong to do to society. Can something be done to
    stop this?

• Il
    ila arkin-granieri Dec 31, 2007

I totally agree that the methods of this company,
    Unicorn Financial need some looking in to,
    and that they seem to be very unethical.
    Is the Better Business Bureau checking into this?
    Ms Claudine Chavez, crossed the line in customer
    relations and her behavior on the job needs to
    be investigated as well.
    And, Mr. Avenetti must be aware as well, if not
    then he is not handling his position approbriately
    since he is the supervisor of collections and Ms.
    Chevez works for him.

• Da
    Daniel M. Gray Jan 28, 2008

I paid off my 18 month Unicorn dental loan in six months, and they claimed they received the last payment late, saying I owed an additional $54. Now, 18 months later, they have told my credit reporting agency that I owe $262, and have instituted litigation, even though as an attorney, I know that is a complete lie. I have received no communications from them for at least one year.

• Lm
    L. M. HEANEY Feb 25, 2008

I HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE, OUT OF ALL PMTS. ONE WAS ONE DAY LATE, CANCELLED MY CONTRACT AND WENT BACT TO BEGINNING ON FINANCE CHG. EMPLOYEES RUDE AND NASTY AND TALK DOWN TO YOU LIKE YOU ARE A LOW LIFE. WE ENDED UP SENDING FULL BALANCE CERTIFIED WITH RETURN RECEIPT. I WILL NOT PAY THEM ANOTHER PENNY. THEY ALSO THREATENED TO RUIN OUR CREDIT.

• Te
    Teresa Bathgate Feb 26, 2008

I also have had the same experience as the others. I had three accounts with them. I was $20.00 short on my payment and they cancelled the contract on all three accounts and added $1000.00 interest to my account. How could I be late on all three if I was only $20.00 short. I contract BBB but they didn't help me. However, maybe if more people complain then maybe they will do something. I also believe that they post your payment late as I would send in the money on time but it would take them 2 weeks to post. The only time they would post right away is when I would send in the payment as Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. I will never use them again or any other place that uses them as a finance credit reference. What a scam they have going. I've used interest fee before with other companys and they never give you a large minimal amount that needed to be paid. You paid what you wanted to and then if you did not pay if off at the end of your contact then your interest was added. I told my doctor's office that I could not afford monthly payments at this time as my husband was not working but I thought okay if I had 18 months I would be able to make it. Well my monthly payments started of at $500.00. I will never go back to that dentist office again.

Unicorn Financial ServicesPoor service!

I had an 18 month interest free loan with Unicorn Financial Services. I sent out my last payment several days before the due date, so I figured I was free and clear because my loan was paid off. About a month later I received a late fee for about $39 because allegedly my payment arrived a few days late. I received the late fee statement on a friday and it was due on monday, 3 days later. So I sent out a check for the late fee along with a note explaining that the statement arrived late and therefore the payment of the late fee would also be late. A few days later I received a phone call from this company saying that because my late fee arrived late, all the back dated interest was reinstated which totaled to over $1,300. I explained my situation hoping they would be understanding. Several times I asked to speak to a supervisor and there was never one around. They said the best they could do is send my account in for review and that they would get back to me. One day later they got back to me and of course they said I had to pay the back dated interest because they're not responsible for my late fee and that I had a balance beyond the contracted date. They would not provide proof that my last payment actually arrived late and were very rude and unhelpful. I recommend that no one do business with this shady company.

• Da
    darkeegan Jun 25, 2008

If it was postmarked by the due date they have no legal reason to charge the original penalty. payment was issued in a timely manner, and you should have refused to pay the original late fee. the second late fee cant have such an excessive penalty by any means. If they threaten to sue, tell them they will have to take you to small claims court. Also, advise them that you deny the debt is legitimate, and that if you recieve any more phone calls you will be forced to take legal action against them. Start recording any calls you get from them too.

Unicorn Financial ServicesThis company is a rip-off!

I had a large dental bill and my dentist offered Unicorn Financial Services as a means to pay it off. Unicorn's statement is that it is no interest financing as long as you make the payments on time...if not, the high interest rate of 24.75% will be charged from the beginning of the contract. I made 9 monthly payments on time with no problem and only had 3 more payments to make. I mailed my next payment well in advance, but Unicorn claims they never received it. It has now been more than a month and the envelope with my payment has not been returned to me by the U.S.P.S., so where is it? I have talked with a manager at Unicorn and his view is that I entered into the contract and did not follow through and now I must pay big time. My view is that I made my scheduled payment and I am being ripped off by Unicorn Financial Services!!! I was charged a late fee of $39.00 and informed I would now be charged the high interest rate from the beginning of the contract.

I think Unicorn plans on problems like this to make their money. They do not offer any way to make your payments on-line or have it taken directly from your checking account or credit card. Now I see why!!! In my 60 years of life I have never dealt with a company like this. The saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is" certainly applies to Unicorn Financial Services.

I have contacted my state Attorney General and will be contacting the BBB and my state legislators. I will also be contacting my dentist and advise him to quit offering the services of Unicorn Financial Services.

I urge everyone to take caution with companies like this.

• Be
    Bernard Behl Sep 16, 2007

I had the same thing last month.They offered me the same thing and I did all my payment through my online banking, and i was suprised to find out that i was missing one payment;i don't know how that happened. They started charging me 29.99% and a late fee of $39 even more my total charges came out to about $200; and yet i had only 4 payments left.I still don't understand how the heck i missed that payment.I ended up paying my full balance plus the penalties to avoid to be rip off any further.I think this company is a bunch of crook that should be investigated.

• Cy
    Cynthia Kelly Nov 15, 2007

I paid the entire bill off 3 years ago this month and I just received a bill that says I owed them 11 cents and now interest has cured and I owe them $318. plus postage, attorney fees (?) and $3.00 a day until I pay them! I am getting an attorney but this is going to cost me to fight.

Unicorn Financial Services — That is a load of crap!

Unicorn Financial provides interest free loans to patients receiving long term care from medical and dental...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices