GreenGeeks Hosting

4.6
GreenGeeks Hosting
Santa Monica,, California
greengeeks.com
I used GreenGeeks for 2 months with my new website and they suspended me because of excessive use of my website ( 200 hits a day ) I paid for a year in advance for unlimited Space, Unlimited Bandwidth. They refuse to talk with me on the phone and said they will only email about this. They turned me off with no warning, no chance to get a backup of my site so I could move it or anything.
I am out my 1 year in advance I paid them and not service. DO NOT TRUSDT GREENGEEKS HOSTING
Complaint comments Comments (31) Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

D  8th of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
This is Trey Gardner, CEO of Green Geeks.

Dale's account was suspended, refunded and canceled not due to overuse of bandwidth but due to overuse of the processors. As we tell all of our potential clients if they have web sites that are going to have excessive use of the processors that they are not recommended in a shared web hosting environment, this is a standard throughout the industry. In these cases we recommend that they purchase a dedicated server so that they can use as much of the processor loads as they like. We offer dedicated server for $160/mo.

Our bandwidth is unlimited as bandwidth in the last few years has become very inexpensive and we have large bandwidth pipes to the internet and our clients site load fast, they are on the same bandwidth as our GreenGeeks.com site and we have thousands of visitors per day.

Dale's web site should be on a dedicated server which i what we recommended an offered to him, he declined and he is going to go to another shared provider where he will run into the same issues. We assisted Dale in getting a backup of hi site and refunded his investment and then closed his account.

Trey Gardner
CEO - Green Geeks
A  5th of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Green Geeks is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their service is abominable, the staff is rude and condescending, and it is next to impossible to cancel an account. I have been trying since December 2013 to cancel my account. All my attempts go nowhere -I just keep receiving automated emails stating that they are unable to fulfill my request because of inaccurate information. What??? So, I fill out the cancellation form again and again. Same automated email comes back. I have been trying to do as they ask, thinking it is probably me doing something wrong. However, after countless emails and endless frustration, I really believe they are messing with me, simply because I want to cancel. As of this writing, I am still unable to cancel my account, having received yet another automated email today stating that they cannot fulfill my request because of inaccurate information. As a small business owner, I am appalled by this, and truly perplexed. Why would a company resort to such tactics? It is disheartening.
So, consider yourself warned.
N  8th of Jan, 2016 by    +1 Votes
Scam web hosting. I paid 3 years in advance some hours and I wanted a refund. I was the only one who used the site and the limits got high!!! The limited the site's resources they lied about everything they said they're really mean liars. After more than 7 days of contacting many times per day they partially refunded me, they claimed a setup fee of like 15$ and a 14$ for the domain name that was allegedly FREE!! damn it greengeeks.
I fell into their trap I lost my money in vain. I failed the project I wanted to build.. I hated the web because of them...i can't trust any web host anymore
N  13th of Feb, 2016 by    +1 Votes
I've been with greengeeks for several years. The upsides outweigh the negatives. The support at level 1 is relatively technically astute (compared to godaddy, bluehost or networksolutions as a few examples, who know nothing except how their own website works usually). They are pretty patient too. I have had problems over the years, some of them our fault, and still the help ranged from "saved our butts" to decent (sometimes the level 2 techs need a little extra push; some are a little resistant to review in depth until you have exhausted your own research I think, even when they know it might be their server issues), but I don't think any service is flawless. I like greengeeks overall. I guess that is better than neutral.
A  26th of Jul, 2016 by    +1 Votes
This review is way too nice. Greengeek's constant issues with technical problems, dingbat tech support, and other failures, has cost my company $3000 to date. Down time of domains and email is frequent. And since Greengeeks has inferior techs, it takes a day to more to get it back up. And Greengeeks likes to NOT give money back even when its their fault. Now we have to find a new host service and spend more money migrating.

Greengeeks is toxic.
N  14th of Apr, 2016 by    -1 Votes
#JCH-871-16444 - Created on 6th April 2016
#ERP-779-52966 - Created on 3rd April 2016
Really very very bad support from billing team. NO RESPONSE since 11days now. They have debited my Credit card & I don't even have any account with them. I had purchased one account but I cancelled it because the price HIGHLIGHTED on website is NOT ACTUALLY GIVEN. ALSO, they have deducted some amount while refund. The Service is pathetic. Hoping to get response after reading this on blog. Attached is the print screen of chat & still now response.
A  22nd of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to me. Paid one year in advance. In spite of how very low traffic sites on GreenGeeks at five weeks they suspended mt site WITHOUT NOTICE and claimed I needed to get a "dedicated server." Because it was a couple days after the 30 days they claimed they can't refund me. I teach linux server administration, and have Masters in Computer Science and Statistics. The "evidence" for this little site using their server was I supposedly used CPU 9%. No units, no time frame noload no nothing. Further without asking first or discussing this supposed usage they forced my visitors to view an "account suspended" for a day. Further they didn't allow my to access my data so I could move it. I've set up hundreds of websites and use EC2, Site4, Webfaction, Hostgator. BY FAR greengeeks is the worst. It is a scam.
A  2nd of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree with all of your complaints to GreenGeeks.com. My shared hosting account has been suspended today after transmitted 6000 data. They blocked my cpanel access which prevent me from getting my e-commerce customer data. They reply my email suggesting to subscribe VPS hosting package. Same situation with Hamkeyco complaint. Now I had a hassle to find other hosting company and need to install and setup again new ecommerce site. Beware of this scam company.

Suhaimi
www.fragrance.my
N  10th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
hosting companies tend to promise one thing and then deliver the other, they sell more bandwith than they have, with the hope that since it is a shared bandwidth, over 80 percent of users will not utilize even 40 percent of assigned bandwidth, such that if certain users start to utilize fully asigned band width they experience shortages and use all kinds of excuises to kick out users that maximise services and band width offerered at start up.
N  10th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Trey Gardner, I was just about to sign for hosting with green geeks then i saw this beware of green geeks in capital. i wish you would be more specific, what do you mean he was using excessive processors? Please kindly explain to those of us who are new and think of getting hosting with green geeks. Do you mean that dale was using intensive scripts on his website? what is the difference between intensive processor use and intensive band width use? Was dale warned not to use these extensive scripts before his account was stopped? do your policeis prohibit use of intensive processors? was dale advised of this at time od sign up. Was dale offered a choice to quit using intensive scripts or face account closure? how are your servers used intensively at 240 hits a day. Dale coould you please respond to Trey Garner's explanation. I am sure many other readers would love to know more. And by the way Trey, thanks for making an effort to counter mand dale's complaint, at least it means that you care.
N  26th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Green Geeks is a fraudulent misleading and greedy company that uses the green name to sell its self. The only greeen thing about green geeks is their greed for green money. Staw away from green geeks. Here is their scam plot.

Green Geeks has a "Free domain for life" promotion, in which they claim that if a customer signs for a hosting plan they get a free domain for life. The truth is that it is a 'domain name stealing exercise', or a 'force customer to host with green geeks for ever' scam.

Here is the scam. When a customer signs up for website hosting with green geeks, and they get a new domain name or transfer their domain to green geeks, their domain name fee is deducted from the hosting plan. Inevitably it appears that the domain name was for free. However the scam is that, the customer is never ever given the account information to manage their domain name. Such that the customer can not independently renew their domain name or even transfer their domain name to another host.

Basicly a domain name belongs to the entity that has the domain name account information. In essence green geeks is owning this customers, domain name under the pretext that they have provided them with a domain name for free. When the domain name expires, if the the customer chooses not to renew their hosting plan with Green Geeks, but wants to retain their domain name or even transfer it to another host, they are asked to pay an ambiguous amount of money even upwards of $250. Refusal to renew your domain name with Green Geeks, will practically result in the customer losing their domain name unless they pay the asked amount of money to green geeks.

So if a customer has a premium domain name and does not want to renew with green geeks or does not want to lose it, they are forced to pay what ever amount of money that green geeks asks them to pay for domain name renewal or hosting plan renewal. Because the customer does not have their domain account information, they are at the mercy of green geeks. They cannot choose to host elsewhere. Note that at the time of Domain renewal, the customer's hosting fees may have increased from what they paid previously at time of sign up. So this exercise can go on indefinitely as long as you host with Green geeks. In essence the customer does not own their domain name. If you request for your domain name acount information and want to transfer your domain name, you will be expected to pay an exorbitant amount of money. They claim that they are getting a refund they gave you initially for the Free domain name. they then charge you what ever they want.

So if you have held your domain for at least a year, you will have already obtained some form of internet notoriety, in the form of google page rank, or even dedicated website traffic, so it is also in green geeks interest that they keep your domain, They will make it as hard as possible for you to transfer your domain name, such that they themselves set up one of those advert based directed websites on your domain.
D  28th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I've had a Green Geeks account for a few months now. I have to admit they don't offer much support when it comes to getting your account up and going. When you call up almost every call goes directly to their level 2 support and you have to wait for them to email you back.

Once I got the CPanel interface down its fairly easy to use and fast. I have several domains with them and have been moving more and more every day from 1 and 1 web hosting. I find Green Geeks to be a very competent web hosting company. I have several of my customers on Green Geeks so its mission critical for me to have a great hosting company

Tim Sypowicz
Unleashed Networks LLC
A  10th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
Saya juga telah di bohongi oleh Green Geeks.com, Saya sarankan kepada masyarakat Indonesia jangan pernah membeli domain dan hosting di Green Geeks.com karena website ini penipu. Saya membeli domain dan hosting tapi akun saya tidak pernah di aktifkan, kata support mereka "saya sudah menghubungi anda 3 kali untuk mengaktifkan". Padahal jangankan di telpon di email juga kagak. Green Geeks.com is satanic anda Scam.
N  18th of Jan, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have a update to my post.. I've been with Green Geeks now for over a year, and I can't believe I ran across this post on accident...
I stand by my original post with a few updates. I host about 20 domains with Green Geeks and honestly I'm afraid to host anymore, so I split my domains between Green Geeks and one of my own servers. Green Geeks websites have a nasty habit of going down, for all kinds of reasons.. If your on a shared server expect outages, because people on that server will get you blacklisted and your email wont work or they will crash the server (to this day i don't know how). Also spam is a big problem with green geeks, server. Spam Assassin doesn't work or I have it configured wrong (i did call up for help configuring it and nobody seemed to know how). I've gotten lots and lots of virus come through on my servers email. Even though Josh refuses to recognize that any virus can get through their virus protection it does happen. The UPS Virus, Wire Transfer Virus, etc, etc all these viruses were zipped so I guess Josh feels they technically aren't viruses. Josh also will argue with you rather than provide you with good customer service. He should learn to keep his mouth shut and just try to help you out.

Do I still recommend Green Geeks? I do, their a cheap solution to a lot of other companies out there. Their customer service stinks, and when you call up for support you be prepared to email in your problem rather than getting it fixed on the spot... All in All still a decent company. They are the McDonalds of web hosting, don't expect anything more than just hosting and email, because they aren't going to provide it...
A  3rd of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
i agree 100% with the other complaints, I spent myself talking to the customer service regarding my plan to purchase for hours (maybe days), and finally I was convinced to make the purchase. Once I paid I got the funny email saying that my account was suspended, cannot be activated, please contact other activation department. Okay, I contacted them and no reply. I mailed them again, and no reply... After the 3rd time I got no reply, I contacted the sales rep one more time (live chat session), and he replied with the same stupid instruction, please contact the activation department or whatsoever department to get my account activated.
Finally I got frustrated with no replies so I issued a dispute from my paypal to have my payment refunded.
Yet at first PayPal said on the dispute status as "awaiting for the other party - GreenGeeks in this case - to respond... and guess what, I never got myself responded, so PayPal refunded my payment.
What a waste of time talking to the so-called Live Chat Support and I never got my newly purchased account activated.
Now I am a happy customer of Site5 (VPS-9 account), BlueHost, and HostGator, and I am very glad that I didn't got myself stuck any second longer with GreenGeeks. My recommendation for all of you guys : DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH GREENGEEKS... I awarded them with "The Worst Web Hosting Ever"... for real !
A  24th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
Greengeeks are biggest cheats
They cheat ppl in name of terms and conditions . i wonder y do ppl sit quite . Y dont you go ahead and lodge dispute with your cre4dit card company, send them all links . make there gateway shutdown . These cheats earlier operated with name top TopGreenHost.com . i suggest no matter what greengeeks says about there Terms and conditions, file a complain, force your bank to take up details of frauds with there merchant bank . This will hit them hard . its always good to post as much as you can to make ppl aware, but at same time fight for your money .
A  9th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have to agree that green geeks is a dishonest and fraudulent business. I have had nothing but problems with them. My most recent issue is that they suspended my account due to a DMCA complaint, to which I filed a legal response. I have been dealing with josh Dargie exclusively and he is not only incredibly rude but very unprofessional and makes green geeks look really bad. Why they continue to keep Josh Dargie around is a mystery to me as the Internet is filled with complaints about him and greengeeks. Josh lets his ego and his personal feelings get in the way of acting in the best interest of greengeeks. Dealing with this company has been nothing but a nightmare!!! And if you try to contact trey Gardner the CEO of greengeeks you can't as they will not put you through to h nor five you any information on how to contact him, and they will not allow you to leave information to have Trey Gardner the CEO of greengeeks contact you. I would suggest anyone considering greengeeks for hosting to BEWARE of GREEN GEEKS STAY AWAY!!!
A  21st of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have had two hosting accounts with GG for several years and never had much issue until now. I recently added Owncloud to my site which they offer. I attempted to transfer 12GB of files and they disabled my access stating that I exceeded my CPU limit. Now as I said I have had an account with them for several years and have NEVER been informed of any policy regarding CPU usage limits on the UNLIMITED BANDWITH, FILE TRANSFER hosting package. Furthermore, they were never able to provide me with a copy of this policy.

What really bothers me is that once this initial 12GB transfer is complete, from then on I will probably max out at a few hundred MB of data transfrer daily, if that. What I was asking from them is to remove the block until this transfer is complete and then they can reinstate it afterwords as I don't foresee this being a continued issue. They did remove the block once and of course it immediately occurred again because they did not listen to what I was asking them to do. Instead their position has been either it is an issue with owncloud and they don't offer tech support for OC or that I have to find a way to not violate the CPU usage policy. This is basically what they keep repeating despite my requests to assist me with finding a solution. They have made no offer to provide details as to CPU limits. policies etc., nor have they offered to remove the CPU limit until I can get my bulk upload completed.

I then asked to have a support manager or Trey contact me, which they never responded to. It is not so much that they impose limits as this helps prevent abuse, it is their refusal to work to resolve the problem that is not abuse and their dismissive and unprofessional behavior and lack of regard for their customers.
A  28th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
I was looking for the contact info to the CEO of GreenGeeks.com because they keep shutting down my website. The support SUCKS!!!

I am pretty sure they are just scamming me! They have shut down my site 8 times now and they send me some computer jargon as the reason... WOW - I messed up coming to GreenGeeks.com
A  5th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
I paid for 3 years hosting with the green geeks based on their extensive advertising and promotions. After my money was taken I got a notification from green geeks that they had to verify my account etc. that is downright dishonest if not fraudulent. An ehtical company should not take money from someone they claim they have to verify they should do the verification on the application and refuse to accept the money until the verification process is complete. Based on what I have read here I will request that paypal refunds my money.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree