Grand Canyon University / transfer credits

Arizona, CT, United States Review updated:

I began attending Grand Canyon University in February 25, 2010. I only decided to attend Grand Canyon University after an email approval from the Director of the Masters of Addiction Counseling program accepting the 2 "C" graduate level grades from Liberty University. See copied email below from GCU. Eleven months later and starting my fourth class on January 6, 2011 I was charged $1, 300 on my VISA and received an email stating GCU overruled the decision that was made on February 25, 2010 made by the Directors of addiction counseling because GCU needed to stay in compliance. See second email below. #! I reieved the email 11 months laters and 4 classes into my studies. I began sending GCU emails on November 1, 2010 trying to get a hold of somebody to inform them I did not see those 2 classes reflected in my angel portol. After repeated emails for 2 1/2 months I finally get a response on the same day I was charged for my class and now cannot get a refund. Moreover, I wanted to discontinue my studies at GCU and have not heard about a refund on the January 6, 2011 class. Never in my life have I ever experienced this level of miscommunication, disregard. If I attended Liberty University as opposed to GCU at this time, I would only need to take 4 classes as opposed to 8. This mistake on GCU’s part was devastating financially, personally, and professionally. I would read the actual emails below and the readers can decide for themselves whether to attend Grand Canyon University or not. The emails speak for themselves. I emailed NAADAC today and I will be aggressively pursuing this matter further so this does not happen to others.
___________________________________________________________________
Email on February 25, 2010:
Great news! Below are your Grad Credit Trs Request results from Dr. Bowden. We can transfer in all 3 of your classes, we just need a letter from you stating that you understand that the 2 C’s will affect your GPA and also stating that the COUN 502 will only transfer into the Addiction program. See the section in red below for details.
I will approve the following grad transfer subs for Robin::
COUN 502 for PCN 509 (Robin will need to take PCN 509 if she ever decides to enroll in the MS-PC Degree Program) This transfer sub will only apply in the Master in Addiction Counseling Degree Program it will not transfer in as a sub for PCN 509 in Masters in Professional Counseling Degree Program.
HSER 500 for PCN 535
• CCP 650 for PCN 520
IMPORTANT NOTE: Robin will need to first send GCU a signed letter stating that she understands that she will need a 3.0 to graduate from GCU and that transferring in her (C) grades will pull down her GPA up right away. The letter should also state that she understands that her COUN 502 course will only sub the MS-AC program not in the MS-PC Program. This letter needs and the emails need to be placed in Robin's file academic at GCU.
__________________________________________________________________
January 6, 2011 -Email sent the day I started my fourth class and charged on my VISA $1, 300
Robin,
Sorry for the delay, but I was checking into the classes from Liberty. GCU’s academics department is refusing to transfer those classes in because of the grades. They are overruling Dr. Bowden’s decision per academic policy and to remain in compliance. My manager tried to reach you to explain, but I thought I’d try you as well because I think you should know as soon as possible. I do not know why they did not say anything sooner. I am sorry, I feel terrible. Do you want to speak to me or my manager regarding this? I out in the morning tomorrow, but will be in the office in the afternoon.

Comments

• Gc
      20th of Jan, 2011

Hi Robin,

Can you please contact me directly at Robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu and I'll be happy to assist you regarding the information above.

Thanks,
    Robyn Itule
    Social Media Strategist

robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu
    602-639-7571

• Ro
      7th of Feb, 2011

Nikia, I could not agree more. Great post and very thorough. Don't bother calling Robyn Tutle, you will get nowhere. I believe GCU places a 'social media strategist' name and contact to persuade the viewers to think GCU will handle the situation which is not the case. Any ethical, professional university should not have to view daily an online complaint board. Robyn Tutle emailed me the day after my complaint. I spoke to someone about my issues and never heard back from them again. I am in the process of gathering information and seeking legal counsel against GCU so students do not have to go through what I went through. I feel strongly I have an ethical duty and believe I have the resources. I am glad you took the time to inform future or current students at GCU.

• Ro
      24th of Feb, 2011

So you were charged $520 per credit hour...were you a graduate student? That would be about right at most schools if yo u are getting your Masters. If you were undergrad, was all of that for tuition, or did you get a stipend? Just wondering?