GoRenter.com / Rental scam/consumer abuse

Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
I entered into an agreement with GoRenter in April 2008. The experience was a nightmare from the point of signing the contract. For one, I was misled regarding the monthly rent of the property and was not informed until appearing to sign the lease agreement that the rent would be $50 more than advertised. The explanation was I had to pay taxes. In retrospect I realize that was an outright lie. That was just their way of padding the rent to skim off their own profit. Further a few days after moving in the owner arrived shocked that I had moved in because he stated he had asked they not rent the house because he needed to sell. This company is merciless and nasty. Bottom line. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere and save ourself stress. Don't be fooled by your initial interactions with them. It all falls apart once the rental agreement is signed.

Comments

Je
  21st of Jan, 2009
The worst company ever! Read the contract carefully! They took a "calculated risk" to rent out my house to some people in which I never saw a background check performed. They also didn't collect the full security deposit because that was part of there "calculated risk." The tenants got to live there for free for the first 2 weeks, now they haven't paid in almost two months and of course I am getting the fees for certified mail, attorney fees, etc. I signed the contract in 2008 and there was a "one time" administrative fee, now it is 2009 and they charged me another fee for 2009 since there contract change and I NEVER signed it! Do NOT NOT NOT sign up with this company you will be paying them $25 to put in air refresheners into a new home that doesn't need it. They also charge for cleaning trash that NEVER existed in the house and the fee for that is $45. Ridiculouse fees for unknown reasons and no explanation ever given!!! Trust me, you will regret if you sign up with them, they tell you that you will only be paying $75/month, ha wishful thinking!
Jj
  4th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I can affirm everything that Jessica states above because I went through the same thing in mid-2008 with Gorenter. It doesn't get better- never does and the fees will keep coming. Best advice I can give is to get the hell out- do whatever needs to be done even if it means paying them 3 months prop mgt to break the contract NOW. Their tenants trashed the house, then abandoned it. Gorenter stole our lock box. Even after receiving notice of our intent to cancel their services, they stuffed a tenant into our property on the last day just to claim a leasing commission. We eventually got to the point where we were happy to pay that last bill for them to just go away. Hire a reputable local prop mgt. company instead and you'll be much happier- they'll also do more than Gorenter ever will for you.
Mi
  19th of Mar, 2009
I totally agree I am in a gorenter house now and I am getting the hell out at the end of the month. I signed a leasepurchase agreement big big mistake I had to pay for the airconditioner compressor 1400.00 in just the first 3 months I was there its been 2 years now and I just seen that I am getting forclosure notices and gorenter claims they knew nothing about and told me now I need to relocate to another house of thiers for additonal deposits what a crock I am getting the hell out never never go with this company it has been a nightmare and it is still going!
  18th of Jul, 2009
This company has been the worst experienced in my history of 25yrs in Real Estate. I cannot believe they are still getting away with thier scams and fraud. I am heading into ledagation because I entered a contract with them and they delivered NOTHING but the fees remain and GROW as long as you property is vacant. They will high sell you on getting it rented for top dollar and bring you low ball offers from people who dont even have enough money to put down a security deposit. I would recomend you read the whole contract WORD FOR WORD (if your lucky enough to even get a copy of it)because you will be reviewing it with your attorny shortly after signing it. Believe nothing they tell you because they will lie.I have never seen so many fees back doored into a contract in my life. They have on staff Attorneys because that is the true core of thier income. I promise you will be sorry if you choose this company!
  5th of Aug, 2009
I leased my house to GoRenter and they put some tenants in it who got evicted. The house needed minor repair but anything over $400 I had to pay for out of pocket. I already pay a monthly management fee, a yearly sign up fee AND an advertising fee so they can put someone of "reputable status" in my house.

When these idiots got evicted GoRenter went in and took my house desk and my BOLT ON PATIO FURNITURE..this is furniture that needs to be assembled and disassembled to move. This was my furniture that was at my house from my pocket before the eviction. When GoRenter came in to remove the old tenants they "mistakenly" cleaned out my original furniture. When I asked how they plan to reimburse me they said "oh well nothing is on your lease agreement saying you had furniture there". I told the leasing agent 20 times I was leaving this there because its modular bolt on furniture..GoRenter trashed it without even contacting me saying "people leave stuff there all the time and we didnt know it was yours"..So no reimbursement and I am pulling my house from GoRenter

NEVER EVER EVER DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY..THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY AND PUT PEOPLE IN YOUR HOUSE THAT ROUTINELY GET EVICTED! This is by far the single worst property management company in arizona and they should never be allowed in business let alone out to prey on others. They are savages, animals and deserve to be locked up as such. The worst kind of user!
Go
  7th of Aug, 2009
I recently rented a home from gorenter.com and have had a great experience so far. The people at gorenter.com were courteous and professional and found us a great house in the school district we wanted to be in. We looked all over and went to other property management companies and none of them had the inventory or insight that gorenter.com did. I highly recommend them to others searching for a great rental property!
Ha
  27th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER HAD TO DISPLEASURE TO DEAL WITH!!!
Aw
  28th of Aug, 2009
I hired GoRenter.com to manage my property in June, and now it is August. In that short time, they have 1.) given the combination of the lock box to potential tenants in order to view the property themselves vs. having an agent present, 2.) they allowed an illegal move-in by giving the key to a person for 3 full weeks WITHOUT A SIGNED CONTRACT, and 3.) they blow you off with their lack of communication and then pretend that nothing happened.

It is unbelievable to me that this company is even in business, especially after hearing the variety of experiences. Had I done my homework, I NEVER would have gone with GoRenter.com and I have voiced my experience to all of my colleagues and newsletter subscribers. The word IS getting out about this company's practices, and I hope that potential tenants and those considering using GoRenter as their PM will not use this company. If you do, you will regret it.
  29th of Sep, 2009
I have been taken as well by gorenter.com they are a scam they should be in jail, they use thier typical swich and bait scam to take your money watch out
Re
  8th of Nov, 2009
I lease a house from GoRenter which was adertise for $1000.00 and when I signed the lease contract the total for a months lease was $1150 per month. I tried to get released from the lease for this fradulant act but was threatened with full cost of the lease. This was the first home I have ever leased. The first week I had no heat ( November and temp down in the 30's), and the kitchen sink was blocked. I had to pay for service fee for both the heating and plumber for a total of $100.00. The kitchen was not considered an emergercy so I waited 15 days to use the kitchen sink and dishwasher. I called repeatedly and e-mailed Go Renter. They would not reduce my monthly amount. In June of 2009, I noticed a water leak in the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. Called immediately, paid for another service fee and three days later and three service people the leak was found and fixed. In this process, an AC repairman cut a 2 1/2 foot hole in the ceiling and the AC person would not replace the ceiling. I called Gorenter and it took 56 days, , , I repeat 56 days to replace the ceiling. My AC bill for that time was over $400 dollars per month. I called and e-mailed repeatedly to have to resolved and finally held back my months rent until the ceiling was repaired. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM gorenter EVERY AGIAIN NOR RECOMMEND THEM TO ANY ONE. I am sorry to see that Gerenter screws over both owners and renters. SAD, SAD, SAD. I have reported them to the BBB and the Realtor Board..
Az
  27th of Oct, 2010
We currently rent a condo from GoRenter, they are charging us $100+ what the rent actually is, we are responsible for all repairs, even the ones that needed to be done when we moved in; the closet door not being on, the hot water leaking on the washer, tubs that don't drain, loose toilets, etc. etc. And don't ever be late with your rent, heaven forbid! Rent is due on the first no grace period whatsoever its supposed to be a $50 fee for the first day and $5 each additional day but they must not know how to add because we've ended up paying them almost $1700 in late fees. The a/c crapped out and then when they "repaired it" it still didn't work so they ended up replacing the whole thing which thank goodness was at the owners expense although the poor guy was probably swindled out of that 4 grand. They won't answer the phone, everyone in the office is on a different page, no one gives you a straight answer! What a sham!!!
Lo
  14th of Apr, 2011
GO RENTER.COM is an joke. They will let the phone ring and ring and ring and ring and ring before you ever get to speak to a live person. Upon a miracle someone will answer and before you can get through one questions they transfer you to the WRONG PERSON making you have to go through the whole calling them over and over again process. They are extremely rude every time i call. They did falsify the contact stating I would pay $1000.00 a month but really its $1400.00. I will never in my life time ever rent from them again. I wish nothing more but for them to go out of business. Their employees are quitting left and right and no one seems to know what the heck their job really is down there. They seem to always be "out to lunch" or "gone for the day". How sad is that. I will report them daily if i have to so they will never get business from people who have down nothing wrong but get sucked into signing a lease with this shameful company. I would never recommend them to anyone and I hope they get what they deserve.
Ll
  14th of Jun, 2012
i was unemployed for over a year when we got a job in az and moved from wa with a new baby broken down car and 1000 in our pocket. we thought that moving in the lease ourchase home was a good idea but my husband got hurt 6 mos into the lease, and my income barely paid all of our bills and we made arrangements with them but like everyone said they kept stacking fees, neglected reapirs, even stole items while we were moving due to the court eviction and sheriff, etc. bceause of them i lost my job, we were homeless and havent been able to get on our feet since. This was 2008 and the economy went down the toliet. so did our expereince with gorenter. dont trust them at all. wolves in sheeps clothing.