Global Ocean Freight / Fraudulent Business Activity

United States Review updated:
Unfortunately, I've used Global Ocean Freight for an international move - it was a very bad experience.

My original quote was for $8, 350.00 for a 40 foot high cube container delivered to the destination - door to door. After the container arrived at a customs clearing agent at the destination, Global Ocean Freight billed me in excess of $14, 000.00. Of course, they would not release the container to the final destination until the bill was paid in full. Plus, for every extra day the container stays at the clearing agent while the invoice is contested, there's a hefty surcharge added to the amount owing.

Basically, Global Ocean Freight plays an interesting game. Even though a container will hold 2695 cubic feet as stated in their advertising materials and their web site, they have a clause in their contract that states --> "Please keep in mind that upon packing and loading, your goods will take up more space. Do not exceed the calculated volume of 2200 cubic feet for a 40- Foot H/C container, this will allow room for loading"

Note that the requirement to ship no more than 2200 cubic feet per 40 foot H/C container is not a contractual obligation - the above quoted phrase is only providing advice for loading.

So - even if all of your goods fit into the container, if Global Ocean Freight calculates the volume to be greater than the advised 2200 cubic feet, they charge an additional fee per cubic foot for overflow/excess volume. Also note that the calculation is performed by Global Ocean Freight and there is no recourse to dispute this calculation.

In my case, that additional fee was several thousand dollars...

I gave copies of the contract and invoice to several lawyers and the Federal Maritime Commission. Without exception, all were of the opinion that Global Ocean Freight's contract, calculation methodology and the additional fees added to the invoice would be successfully contested in a court of law.

You may wish to contact the Federal Maritime Commission and several other US Government agencies to enquire about each specific moving company. They will tell you information like the number of complaints, number of resolved complaints, whether the company is licensed, insured, etc... It's a worthwhile inquiry and will help to weed out the dishonest companies... All of these agency's URLS are just a quick google away...

Hope this helps... Good luck with your move...
Sj

Comments

Jo
  3rd of Feb, 2009
I agree with the all of the above. This company should be investigated for negligence and fraud. As a matter of fact, I can´t believe they are still in business rather than in jail.
I had the awful idea of not doing a background check of this company before hiring them. The whole experience was a disaster. I was stressed the whole time (5 months!!!) ended up spending much more than I was originally quoted, and was subject to lies and dishonest behavior. I strongly, strongly advice anyone about to hire them: reconsider! You will regret it.
Be

Plantation
Florida
Phone: 954-370-1401
global-oc.com

I paid GOF Inc to ship my household goods from California to Ireland on 7/12/08. My goods still have not been delivered. They are in the UK and will not be released due to GOF failing to pay the import freight costs and destination delivery costs associated with my shipment. These remain unpaid to date and total £1387.63. As a result of my goods being held, they have now incurred additional storage costs exceeding £700. I paid GOF in advance for this service. They have failed to deliver and now are building up more expense as each day passes. I desperately want my goods but GOF are telling the UK they are working on it, but not coming up with the money. They have also instructed the UK company, Euro USA, to pass all storage costs on to me. I am extremely angry that they are passing on the costs of their incompetence on to their customers. Can you help me?
An
  25th of Feb, 2009
We use global ocean freight too. I do not know what gonna happen with my belongings, 10 months already. Agent in Malaysia tell me, global ocean freight, closing down.
Cr
  8th of Mar, 2009
Did you fill out a formal complaint and if so where did you fill one out with? I believe GOF has scammed me and I want to talk to the lawyer that handling this case? Please let me know

Thanks
Mu
  9th of Mar, 2009
I'm in full agreement with the above. In my last conversation with Keren from GOF she told me the gone out of business. I paid them in full for my shipment to Israel and now its on hold because they didn't deliver the payment to the marin agent. I'm wondering if there is a legal way to get my money back.

thanks,

Muli
An
  14th of Jan, 2010
If you have any complaints you should address them with the Federal Maritime Commission as theyy are the governing body which regulate Ocean Transportation Intermediaries. If they are licensed by the FMC you should be able to FIX any problems ... if they are not licensed then you should have NEVER booked the cargo with them. If GOF is out of business but were licensed by the FMC then they should have a bond in place to cover ... if not you should have stayed away from them and choosen a LICENSED FMC entity to handle your cargo. I checked in the http://www.fmc.gov website and they are not listed.
As
  5th of Aug, 2010

Global Ocean Freight - I've used Global Ocean Freight for an international move - it was a very bad experience
Global Ocean Freight

In my case, that additional fee was several thousand dollars...