Garmin Nuvi 265Wt / Bait and switch scam

I purchased the Garmin nuvi 265WT GPS online because it was about $50 less than other online sites. I received an email with an instruction to call an 800 to confirm the order. I called the number and spoke to a rep named Paul who told me I needed the memory card if I needed to update the map. I declined to purchase the card. He confirmed my shipping address and told me the GPS will be shipped in a couple of days.

I received an email a day latter indicating that they are out of stock of the GPS, and it would take 3 to 4 weeks for the backorder. I went back to the retailer's Website and I noticed the GPS is still available for sale only this time with even lower price, but no indication that the retailer is out of stock of the GPS. I went and canceled my order online since I don't expect the product to be shipped to me.

I had a similar experience with another online retailer named Closeout Genius who sold the same model for a lot less. Closeout Genius also emailed me to call it to confirm the order. When I called, its rep tried to sell me a memory card. When I declined to buy the memory card, I received an email after I hang up the phone saying that my order has been canceled without a request from me to cancel the order.

It seems that Camera Giant and Closeout Genius are using similar tactic to lure customers to purchase their products with low prices, then they ask customers to call to confirm their orders. When customers call, they try to sell more products, but when customers decline to buy more products, they either delay the shipping or in the case of Closeout Genius, cancel the order without being asked.

I noticed there are not many complaints with Camera Giants, but if it continues to conduct this kind of tactic, I expect more complaints like Closeout Genius.

Mo

Comments

• Mh
      25th of Jul, 2011
    Garmin nuvi 265WT - Warranty denied
    Garmin
    Connecticut

Purchased a Garmin 265WT as a gift for my wife in February 2011. It was used fewer than half a dozen times before it failed in June 2011 leaving us stranded in New Jersey. Turned the GPS off when we stopped for lunch. When we turned it back on an hour later, the screen looked like an abstract painting. This unit has never been abused, dropped, jarred or misused in any manner. Garmin has catagorically denied warrenty service claiming the LCD screen is damaged and that LCD screens are not covered under warranty. There is nothing in the warranty that comes with the product that exempts LCD screens from warranty service.