Garmin CityXplorer & Nuvi / cityxplorer scam

1 United States

Garmin CityXplorer maps for Europe are horribly inaccurate when they work at all, and Garmin does not stand behind them at all. This is a SCAM! I bought maps for five cities (total $60) for my 3-week trip in June-July 2010. Started in Brussels, which I know well (I lived there for 14 years); I thought this would be a good chance to learn the CityXplorer "pedestrian mode" system and check out the accuracy. The Brussels directions were a complete joke--for example, telling me to walk 5+ miles to catch a bus when I was less than 300 yards from a stop for the same bus that I rode 3 times a week for years. Worse than useless! Next I tried Luxembourg; the CityXplorer map does not work in pedestrian mode at all, it is just a copy of the street driving map (useless, but at least it didn't pretend to give directions). Next Paris--AWFUL, INACCURATE walking and Public Transport directions for part of day1, getting us totally lost, compounded by a battery life of less than 1 hour despite a full charge (Nuvi 1370). Day 2 in Paris: twenty minutes in, I enjoyed a freeze-up and complete failure of the Nuvi 1370 unit (which, when I returned from the trip, I discovered was happening for the majority of units). So, I never had the chance to test Madrid and London; I can only suspect that they are as completely useless as the maps for Brussels, Luxembourg, and Paris. Finally, after I returned from the trip I immediately contacted customer service and explained the various problems with the maps and the Nuvi (still within 30 days of purchase). They told me that they would not issue a refund. SAVE YOUR MONEY--buy paper maps, try dead reckoning, or flip a coin at every intersection--anything but Garmin.