FreecreditReport.com / Unauthorized charges to my credit card

Portland, OR, US Review updated:

I signed up for an annual free credit report and they charged me $14.95 for two month for a subscription that I didn't even know that I had because I failed to cancel the service within 7 days. They only could credit my account for the last $14.95 charge.
It is ironic that this company is supposed to be helping people with their credit while they are stealing from them without their knowledge.

Comments

• Br
      Jun 18, 2007
    Freecreditreport.com - Unauthorized charges to credit card

In May 2007, I went to the Experian website to request a free credit report. Annually, each American is entitled to 3 free credit reports from the three main credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax , and TransUnion. Apparently what happen through the request exchange is that Freecreditreport.com interceded somehow and captured my credit card information. The web page that requested the credit card information was cleverly manipulated into the free credit report request process. As I recall, the request for my credit card information was described as further due diggilence to ascertain my identity. Shortly thereafter, I received my credit card statement that showed a $12.95 charge. After calling the credit card company and being referred back to freecreditreport.com to manage the dispute, I have learned more about how this scam works. By the way, the 12.95 CIC Triple Advantage charge is not a one time charge but rather an ongoing membership that auto bills your credit card number.

Things to do:

1. Call Freecreditreport.com and cancel your membership and request a credit be issued to the card company. Make sure the credit covers current and future billings.

2. Request a membership cancellation number from Freecreditreport.com.

3. Contact the 'Disputes Resolution' department with your card issuer and insure that your dispute is noted in your file. Write a letter too and reference the membership cancellation.

4. Request that your card issuer refuses any further charges from Freecreditreport.com to your account.

5. Continue to monitor your statements for fraudulent charges.

6. Write a letter addressed to Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion notifying them of the use of their website by Freecreditreport.com.

7. Reference the Complaints Board in all communications with the card issuer and Freecreditreport.com

I have requested free credit reports from the major bureaus in the past and have never encountered this type of negative, ethical behavior.

• Me
      Sep 03, 2009

Not the companies fault, it's yours for not reading the tiny print. All the complaints on here with FreeCreditReport.com are all for the same reason. Everyone needs to stop blaming others for their mistakes! Next time before signing up for something.

• Bo
      Sep 03, 2009

It is very clear that freecreditreport.com is membership deal. Even their tv ads say "With enrollment in Triple Advantage"

It says THIS right on the FRONT PAGE.. not even tiny writing. Prominent placement on the left side:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
    When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.
    ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com.

• Ra
      Jun 03, 2016
    FreecreditReport.com - Fraud
    FreeCreditReport.com

DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES AND FRAUD: www.FreeCreditReport.com, associated with or owned by Experian credit reporting agency. Use https://www.annualcreditreport.com instead for the reasons below: FreeCreditReport.com, which advertises broadly on the cable channels, does not give you anything free. They use deception and trick you into giving them your credit card number for identity verification and then automatically signing you up for buying their (questionable) services at about $17.00 per month. It is very hard to get the credit card companies to reverse the charges because Experian has them by the balls. How do you think they pay for all of that sickening, ridiculous and nauseous advertising? These liars, cheats and thieves are tracking, judging and reporting your credit history.

Jun 03, 2016

1. I went on experian.com and from what I understood, purchased a copy of my credit report.

2. Therefore I was appalled to receive an email stating that I had apparently enrolled in something called "freecreditreport.com" since I had NEVER gone on that website. I went on Experian.com and purchased a copy of my credit report. Period.

3. Whatever freecreditreport.com did to fraudulently enroll me in their company's program is blatantly illegal and unethical. They should be ashamed of themselves for pulling this.

4. It is unacceptable to do this to consumers.