FreecreditReport.com / screwed by freecreditreport.com AKA CIC TripleAdvantage

I wrote this to send to the Better Business Bureau but it was too long and I'm way too frustrated right now to chop it down to 2030 characters.

I signed up at freecreditreport.com back in 2006, checked my credit report, canceled the account, NO PROBLEM. 3 Months ago I did the same and yesterday I noticed that the cancellation didn't go through and I've been getting charged every month since. Three $14.95 charges isn't a lot, but for a service that I don't use and thought had been canceled it is like throwing money out the window.

I called today to see why my account hadn't been canceled and to receive credit for the monthly charges. First the customer service rep tried to sell me 3 more months at a discounted rate. When I told the rep I was just using the site to check my credit report and that I don't want the service and just want to be credited and done I was told that they can't do refunds at all. I then asked to speak with their supervisor. The lady kept telling me that a supervisor couldn't help me and kept asking why I wanted to cancel. This went on for a minute straight before I finally just started repeating "Let me speak with your supervisor. Connect me to your supervisor." I had to say that for almost 30 seconds straight while the customer service rep continued to try to speak over me. She finally said she would have to put me on hold to get her supervisor. I waited on hold for over 5 minutes before she returned and told me that there isn't a supervisor. I said to her, "everybody has a boss and I insist you transfer me to your supervisor." I was told that there were no supervisors and then put on hold again while she looked for one. I was watching the clock this time and 13 minutes went by and I was still on hold so I just hung up.

I called back again and the same thing happened but I didn't stick around to see if the rep would try to find a supervisor a second time. I decided to try again but not tell them that I wanted to cancel this time and see if that works.

So, I called back again and before any talk of what the call was about insisted that I be connected to a supervisor. The customer service rep I was now talking with said that they cannot connect me to a supervisor unless I state what my problem is. I told the lady that I am not going to waste anymore time speaking with someone on the first level of customer service and that I want to speak with somebody higher up. She continued to tell me that unless I tell her why I am calling that she can't connect me to a supervisor, which I think is ridiculous. So, I sarcastically said, "I am so happy with the service that I just need to tell somebody". Silly enough, that was all it took for her to be able to find me a supervisor. I feel like I could have told her that there was an elephant in my account and I would have been transferred. Anyway, after being put on hold for 4 minutes a supervisor picked up the phone. She told to me that I had signed up once in 2006 and canceled 3 days later and that I had signed up again this year and never canceled. I explained to her than I know there is a charge after 7 days of freecreditreport.com service which is why I canceled immediately after checking my credit back in 2006 and why I did the same this year. I told her that through some mix up the cancellation didn't go through and that I simply wanted to cancel the account and be refunded the three $14.95 charges. She told me that she cannot refund me because the services were active. I explained that they should not have been active after I called to cancel and that I just want to cancel and be refunded. After going back and forth over and over about how they can't refund my account and me telling them that it should not have been charged in the first place I told her that I was becoming frustrated. I told her that I feel like I'm being put through the loops of some outsourced Indian call center because it's cheaper than refunding me. After 3 calls and speaking to 4 people, all who were Indian by coincidence I guess, she told me that "we are in fact located in the US and do not outsource. Sir, are you racist?". I was outraged. I could not believe that I was calling to have $44.85 of services that I didn't use refunded and was ending up being called a racist. At that point I told her that enough was enough that all I wanted was a refund and that if she couldn't do it then please transfer me to her supervisor. She told me that there isn't a way to do a refund and that she doesn't have a supervisor. I told her, "that's [censored], everybody has a boss." She told me not to use profanity and I said told her sorry and that the situation is just really frustrating. I then said in a whiny, almost giving up like voice, "I just want a godd*mn refund and for this account to be closed for good." She told me again not to use profanity and that if I continue to that she would disconnect the call. I said exactly, "I'm sorry. I didn't know that godd*mn was enough for you to be able to hang up on me." There was no response and no click so I just kept saying hello until I finally realized that I'd been hung up on.

My god. I still don't know if my account has been canceled and I'm so frustrated right now with the customer service that I'm going to wait until tomorrow to call back and check. Has anybody else had a horrible experience like this or am I the only one?

To

Comments

• At
      9th of Jun, 2007
    FreecreditReport.com - Freecreditreport / CIC Triple Advantage stole 129.50 from me!!

Last year I signed up for a "free" credit check at www.freecreditreport.com. I entered in my information (which included my debit card number) and was told that my first month was free but I needed to cancel the account to avoid being charged a monthly fee. After looking over my credit history and score I immediately canceled my account through freecreditreport.com. This was last September. I occasionally got emails from freecreditreport.com telling me about my "new credit information" and I went to the website on two different occasions and both times it told me that I did not have access because I needed to start a subscription. Well, I just noticed today that a charge of $12.95 was taken out of my account yesterday from CIC Triple Advantage. I did not recognize the name. After looking through my banking history I noticed that these payments of $12.95 have been coming out of my account for the last 10 months. That is a total of $129.50!! I googled 'CIC Triple Advantage' and everything that came up was all about this big credit scam. I immediately contacted CIC Triple Advantage and told them about the problem. I told them that after canceling my freecreditreport.com account I could no longer access any of my information through that website... so what was I being charged for? The supervisor told me that I COULD access my information through that account, but I just chose not to. That is absolutely NOT true... I had cancelled my freecreditreport.com account the DAY I first signed up for it and was not able to access it at any time after that. I told the supervisor at CIC Triple Advantage that and asked him what service I had been paying for if I could not access the services at freecreditreport.com. The supervisor ignored my question every time I asked and kept interrupting me. CIC Triple Advantage STOLE that money out of my account for a service that I was unable to use! All I have found out about this company is complaints... why is this company still in business and still being allowed to steal hard-earned money from unsuspecting people??

• Fe
      19th of Mar, 2008
    Freecreditreport.com - fraud on their part
    Ross
    California
    Phone: 415.454.7242
    www.FreeCreditReport.com

After advertising free credit report, thus the name, and after gathering my sensitive information, they wanted a credit card! Free doesn't imply a credit card. I stopped the process and they responded with an email inviting me to continue, so I did. After AGAIN giving them my sensitive data, they asked for a credit card and I gave it. They then wouldn't give me my info, so I called the number they gave to ask what FREE meant because in the English Lang. I know, it means no exchange necessary and now they not only have my data, they have my cc#. They asked me questions I don't know thus no credit info, no answer to my questions about what will they do with my info? They didn't honor their ad, and I am livid and scared.

• Ka
      31st of Mar, 2008
    Freecreditreport.com - Triple Advantage Membership
    Equifax
    Maryland
    Phone: 202-513-7243
    freecteditreport.com

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM!!! I've been a "member" for over a year and I haven't received ONE alert from them. Geting my username and password is like pulling teeth!! One of the rare times I was actually able to get in to see my report, I saw fraudulent activity on it (which they did NOT notify me about)...I filed a dispute with them and their so called "investigation result" was basically "you're SOL". I called today and cancel and, all of a sudden now they claim that they sent alerts to my e-mail. Even when I told them I wanted to cancel, the rep kept asking me if I was interested in other services, and was trying to get me to keep the account open ...this went on for 15 minutes(and her English was so broken I could barely understand her, so this was particularly frustrating). ...I GOT TOTALLY RIPPED OFF...$12.95 per FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...THEY ARE TERRIBLE!!

• Ap
      4th of Apr, 2008
    Freecreditreport.com - what?
    cic triple advantage
    Arkansas
    Phone: 9999999

If you go onto freecreditreport.com you will notice there are terms and conditions on the left side of the page. they actually do provide great service and is worth having if you ever had identity theft or are cautious of it. their number to cancel is on there web page and anything that you have to put cc info on you should always go back and read before submitting. nothing in life is free always read fine print, ive never had a problem w/ them but then agian i read everything first so i knew what i was getting myself into. look for their # under contact us in the dispute process.

• Bg
      19th of Apr, 2008

Call your credit card company to dispute this company's charges and they will refund your money for this company's scam practices/charges. They will also send you paper work to fill out and return.

Also make a complaint with the better business bureau.

Another thing you, and others can do for real peace of mind, is simply call your credit card company and say that you lost your credit card. They will creat a new number for your account and you can rest assure no charges will be made again.

Consumer's need to stand up for their rights.

Hope this has help you and others.

Bill

• Ca
      15th of May, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Shared credit card information!
    www.FreeCreditReport.com

I attempted to receive a free credit report for all three agencies and signed up for a credit score with a 7 day cancellation feature. I did not receive either my credit reports or scores but they not only debited my account but also shared my credit card information with another company! I called the supposed "agency" and was told that the additional "sharing" i had approved because i had not "unchecked" a box on their web site. this to me is deceptive, packaging practices to extort money from the consumer. One dollar from thousands of customers adds up to millions!

• So
      24th of Jul, 2008

Obviously you work for the company - otherwise you wouldn't be agreeing with a scandolous company. They are guilty of fraud - thus the reason they hung up on me twice when I mentioned a class action lawsuit.

• Ke
      21st of Aug, 2008

Tony,
    I feel the same way I just went through a similar experience and feel violated as an american that we give our info to these people and then they are rude. Just another example of how the world works I guess. Maybe they should make a song and commericals about there customer service.

• Hc
      5th of Sep, 2008

Yup! I experienced the same headache yesterday. They are completely incompetent. It's ridiculous that they can sign you up with no problem, yet a cancelation is like requesting a kidney donor. I'm done with them. Never will use the service again!!!

• Co
      22nd of Sep, 2008

I completely agree that Experian (FreeCreditReport.com) is a rip-off. I thought I was signing up for a FREE Credit Report like on the dumb commerical, but instead they charged me $24.95 and put me in their "club" so they can rip me off every month, as if the $24.95 charge is not enough. I notified them immediately that I did not order 3 credit reports, only one, and was still charged for 3. No matter what I said or did, this place has ZERO customer satisfaction, they simply kept my money and don't care.

• Al
      30th of Sep, 2008
    Freecreditreport.com - ongoing charges
    CIC*Triple Advantage 877-4816825 CA
    Pennsylvania

I signed up for a free credit report on www.freecreditreport.com.

They have charged me $14.95 each month for the last three months without my knowledge or approval. They claim this information is on their web page. I don't doubt that this is true, but it certainly was not made obvious. If I knew, I would not have signed up. My credit card company Chase is giving me credit for the charges and are pursuing the matter. They were very nice about it because they want to keep me as a customer, which I will do.

This is a trend among companies these days. I could give several examples, but for now I'll just stick to this complaint. Thanks.

7th of Oct, 2008
    Freecreditreport.com - won't return money on cancelled account

I signed up to view my credit report and then cancelled my subscription more than once. I just reviewed my account and realized that I have once again been charged. I called and complained again and got that same story about no notes posted about cancelling the account. How many times do I have to listen to this old story. I guess it is time to contact the better business bureau, since this company stills my money every month. I do not recommend anyone to use this sight.

• Ba
      8th of Oct, 2008

File a dispute with your credit card company. Be sure to say the word "fraud". If they will not help you, cancel the card immediately, or you will continue to be charged. There are hundreds of complaints about these scammers.

• Tr
      2nd of Dec, 2008

you can get a full refund. I had a similar frustrating experience with them.

I took a deep breath and kept my calm and pursued a refund until they returned every last cent they scammed from me.

rather than write it all down again, heres a link to my story:

25th of Feb, 2009
    Freecreditreport.com - It is not free!
    Illinois

I read an online advertisement that said "Get your free credit report now." I signed up for the "free" credit report, only to find out a few days later that it wasn't "free" at all. The company began charging $14.95 per month to my credit card without my authorization. When I called them to get the account cancelled and my payment refunded, they told me they could not refund my payment because I have been to their website before. I think you should put this company out of business before anyone else gets scammed. Why they are still in business I have no idea, because they have apparently been doing this form many years now. Please shut them down ASAP!

• Er
      25th of Feb, 2009

I completely agree with this complaint because I had the same experience with the exact same company. I am requesting that the money be put back on my debit card immediately.

• Sc
      12th of Mar, 2009

Okay, I just went to the freecredireport.com site and ordered a one time (30 day) report on all three agencies with the scores as well for $39.95. I did not want the triple advantage thing either. My problem is that the SCORES were not accurate!!! How do I know this? The dealership just called and told me they pulled my score from at least Transunion and it said 639. freecreditreport.com just sold me some garbage that my score for transunion was 718. I freaked and was so embarrassed trying to argue with the dealership that I just paid for my credit reports on all three for 40 bucks. I went back to Transunion this time and ordered just the score. It said the score is 663. Now which one is right???????? I called to YELL at freecreditreport.com and they had some foreign person who cannot speak english very well, try to tell me that she cannot help me since she has no access to my report. I said I want a total refund right now. She gave me a fax no. and also said to email the coperate office. I said I am turning her office into the scam / fraud unit at the bbb, and also the Attorney General's Office, and also was going online like I am doing right now to report a SCAM and FRAUD to all who is reading this. People, I not only lost my 40 bucks tonight with this darn liar of a company, but it cost me my loan with the auto dealer. I cannot prove anything now, and they are going with what they have. Which is the lowest score of all three mentioned above. I am so darn sick of liars, and during this day and age of a recession in our country, losing 40 bucks this way might just as well be burned in front of me.
    Alert anyone you know to not purchase a darn thing from freecreditreport.com. The scores are not true, and that is that. Plus, I lost 40 bucks and got some embarrassement talking to the dealer about this...

Scammed in Michigan from freecreditreport.com

• Bo
      30th of Mar, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - charges that just keep coming
    free credit report
    freecreditreport.com

I cancelled my freecredit report the day later and it has been over a month and my bank account keeps getting charges against it by not only them but by identitytheft.com who has there account inside the fine print that you don't even that it is there. So far I have been charged over 100.00 in fees that they charge and now I have another for 9.95 for this company identitytheft.com . This company needs to be charged with false advertisment because there is nothing free about this company.

• Rc
      13th of May, 2009
    FreeCreditReport - Crooks

FreeCreditReport.com IS NOT ANYWHERE NEAR FREE
    In fact it has cost me 63.14 in just 1 week
    with reoccurring charges I was told.
    I guess those irritating commercials have to be paid by those of us too trusting of a site that says one time fee of 14.95

Contacted Triple Advantage and they tell me no refund so I had to cancel my credit card.

Maybe those goofey kid commercials will disappear once people find out this is a absolute scam!
    RC, Texas

• Kr
      13th of May, 2009

While I have no idea why you were charged so much money, this is clearly spelled out on the left side of the website:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership."

All you have to do is cancel your membership within that 7 day window and you'll never see a charge.

Maybe if people actually read fine print and did research before signing up for something, there would be fewer complaints.