Foto Connection / Bad business practices

P.O. Box 300425Midwood, NY, United States Review updated:
4.8
Phone: 1-800-457-0889

WHERE DO I BEGIN?? My only hopes in writing this review is that prospective buyers read this first and AVOID, and I mean AVOID FOTO CONNECTION. I was in need of 2 digital cameras as Christmas gifts for my children. After doing my research I stumbled across the fotoconnection.com website. I was shopping on Cyber Monday and they had several deals listed for the day as did many other websites that I search. Their deal was not only lower in cost for the cameras they also offered buy one get one free on memory cards and each camera purchase would come with a free case,tripod and cleaning kit. After asking several questions regarding the items they sell and the reputation of the company via the on line customer service link, I decided to purchase. Well, I sent my payment and figured as all on line purchases , that my part was done. Well, WAS I WRONG !! After about 15 minutes I received a phone call from the RUDEST CREAP I HAVE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH IN MY LIFE. He introduced himself as being from Foto connection and he was calling to verify my order. Well, he then proceeded to tell me that the cameras that I purchased were only coming with a 15 minute trial size battery and that I would have to purchase longer life batteries. I then told him that I had done my research and do know that the that the cameras come from the factory with full length batteries. He then recanted when I called him on it and told me he never said that, only wanted to know if I wanted to purchase backup batteries. I declined. He then started on the HIGH PRESSURE upsell of extended warranties. As I declined the price went from $169.99 each and continued to fall from there all the way to $39.99 each camera. At this point I was so worked up and worked over I was not going to spend one more dime with this scam deal. I wanted the cameras and hoped that I would at least get those. Prior to hanging up with him, I asked him how much they would be charging my card. He gave me a total including the warranties. I then had to yell and tell him to take off that charge as I did not authorize him to put them on my sale.( I only turned him down a total of 10 maybe 11 times). He got mad at me and hung up on me. I then contacted the Customer Service Dept. via phone and asked one of the girls to give me the total of my sale to insure he hadn't placed those charges. I told her what he had said about the battery life at first and she then told me that indeed I was not getting full life batteries with the cameras. The Cameras I purchased were considered "starter kits" not "retail kits"!!! I was so mad. I told her to cancel my order.She then transferred me back to the same JERK that I had talked to prior. He then transferred me back to her and so on. Finally, the SO CALLED MANAGER got on the phone and told me that he was going to make everything right. He understood I was upset and that he was going to give me the full sized batteries as well as the power chargers for free. (at his loss of course). I then crossed my fingers and hung up. Well I sweated it out for the next 5 days wondering if I was even going to get my goods. Surprise Surprise they did arrive. The cameras did come with the chargers and batteries as he promised. However, I did not get the free cases, cleaning kits and tripods. I called the customer service department this morning and after waiting on hold for approx 20 minutes, I got the customer service rep. I explained my issue. She then told me that I was indeed entitled to the kits however, I would have to pay $9.99 each for shipping. I then told her that they were supposed to be free and she said that that was handled by the promotional dept and needed to be shipped separately but she'll do me a favor and ship them both for the one cost of $9.99. Needless to say, I declined. She then told me that if I agreed to go to their website and give them a RAVING REVIEW She would send them for free. I told her that SHE DID NOT WANT ME TO LEAVE A REVIEW FOR THEM. IT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD ONE. She then YELLED AT ME AND SAID "OK THEN -- YOU WANT TO PAY THE $9.99 EACH THEN??" I told her that not only am I going to leave a horrible review on every website I can find, I was also going to Contact the BBB regarding their scam practices. She then YELLED AGAIN " GO AHEAD AND DO WHATEVER YOU WANT" and then proceeded to hang up on me. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED ON THE WEB !!! SAVE YOUR SANITY, SPEND A FEW DOLLARS MORE AND GO TO EITHER A RESPECTED AND HEARD OF SITE OR GET IN THE CAR AND HEAD TO YOUR LOCAL ELECTRONICS STORE. THE FEW BUCKS YOU SAVE ARE DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT !!! TAKE IT FROM ME AND ALL THE OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN STRONG ARMED BY THIS SO CALLED COMPANY. TURN AND RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

Comments

De
  13th of Dec, 2007
I also had problems with this company. Rude salespeople who would not give you a name. I placed an order on 11/29/2007 and cancelled it on 12/4/2007. Had to call back on 12/13 because they were trying to "verify my card" prior to shipping. Was told the ordrer was now cancelled but the sales agent would not give me a name and he hung up on me.
Bi
  14th of Dec, 2007
Alas- I seem to have learned the hard way about this crappy company as well. Just placed an order yesterday, got this very weird high pressure sales call telling me the same thing he told you. I then got this very weird e-mail telling me to call my credit card company to add a shipping address. Absolutely no reason to do this according to my credit card company. When I called Fotoconnection for the fourth time and actually got a human being after waiting fifteen minutes on hold- the guy was an absolutel JERK- very rude and hung up on me when I asked his employee id. AVOID THIS COMPANY!
Bi
  19th of Dec, 2007
Update on my complaint- item arrived minus the promised "free" starter kit. When I called the company, they now claim additional charge is required for the "free item". STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!
An
  20th of Dec, 2007
I too have learned the hard to stay away from foto connection. Apparently thats their MO to try to sell you an addition charger and battery. I refused and then they said it only comes with a twenty minute battery. That in it self is a lie. Nonetheless i bought it for an addition 30 dollars. Well it never arrived and the company tried saying that it was put in the box with the camera. Which is another lie. The stock charger and battery come provided. Which are not twenty minute usage but 220 shots. I called to receive it they told me that it was there and i ordered the internet model(whatever that means.) and that the upgrade is the battery in the box. That is a lie,lie,lie. I did the research on the net and found that they essentially scammed me for 30 bucks. And refute to replace or refund my money. unless of course paying a 15% restocking fee which is bullcrap. I too want to make a bbb report. How do i do this can anyone help?
To
  20th of Dec, 2007
Unbelievable... I have never, ever dealt with such a bunch of low lifes. Fotoconnection is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. One of my coworkers is having the same problem. I ended up cancelling my debit card to make sure the sale didn't go through- I suggest you do the same.
Da
  26th of Dec, 2007
I will never buy from foto connection again - I should have realized from the start as they call themselves foto and not photo. I bought all of my Christmas presents a week before Christmas and this was the only present I didn’t receive. I paid $30 to have the package over-nighted and it is a week later, the day after Christmas and I have not received the package. They shipped the package today, a week later. The woman who handled my complaint was rude and not helpful at all. She told me repeatedly that she would not refund my shipping costs but if I wanted to tell her about my holidays she would listen. She reinforced that they have 72 hours to process and 48 hours to ship. 72+48 =120 or 5 days right? Even if I give them Christmas an additional 24 hrs to be at 144hs they have still blown it by over a day.

NOT ON TIME, Unethical, Bad Service and BAD BUSINESS - Do not buy from them!!!
Ar
  26th of Dec, 2007
These people need to be stopped. I have had all of these same expriences as many of you. Here is the BBB web page.
http://welcome.bbb.org/ If we all complain they will have to do something.
Ja
  27th of Dec, 2007
THIS IS THE WORSE COMPANY EVER!!! THEY LIE LIE LIE!!! I SUPPOSE TO GET A EXTRA LONG LIFE BATTERY AND CHARGER ON TOP OF THE ORINGINAL PACKAGE FROM THE CAMERA AND THEY SAID "IT IS ALREADY UPGRADED" THEY TOLD ME THE FATORY BATTERY ONLY LAST 15MINS AND I NEED A LONG LIFE BATTERY.. PLEASE DON'T BUY FROM THIS DEALER! I THOUGHT I WOULD PAID $310 FOR THE CAMERA AND I END UP PAYING $368 FOR NOTHING EXTRA! BELIEVE ME DON'T BUY FROM "FOTO CONNECTION".
Br
  7th of Jan, 2008
Ten day return policy s*cks. I received my camera two weeks before christmas to give to my wife as a gift and by the time she opened it was past the 10 days. Camera does not work and now they tell me good luck. I have to deal directly with the MFG.
Cb
  13th of Jan, 2008
Absolutely the worst company ever. I wanted to purchase a Nikon D40, but was bullied by some ### with a Brooklyn accent with regards to long-life batteries at high prices, extended warranties that were bogus, and malarky regarding my purchase of so-called *plastic* lenses, rather than Nikon-quality glass lenses. Usually, I make sure to check the reputation of the companies with whom I do business, however, I made the mistake of dealing with the predators at FotoConnection.com.

The initial high-pressure phone call regarding the "verification of credit card information", made me want to cancel the order, with the threat of a $125.00 order cancellation fee. I only hope that others do not use this company, and go with reputable retailers elsewhere.
Am
  18th of Jan, 2008
I ordered a camera couple of weeks ago. When they called to confirm and upsell me on the extra batteries and warranties, I got a horrible feeling and tried to cancel my order. After argueing with the customer service guy for several minutes he said fine I will cancel your order and hung up on me!! Of course, several days later I received the camera and my credit card was charged. I called back to complain and spoke to the owner (at least he claimed to be) Peter Sullivan. I was told that I would not get a refund on the shipping charges and I would be charged a restocking fee even though I never opened the shipping box. He also said that if I filed a complaint with the BBB he would charged me $50 for every letter he had to respond to!

STAY AWAY FROM FOTO CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ro
  25th of Jan, 2008

Foto Connection - Deceptive business practices!
Foto Connection
New York
Phone: 800 457 0889

Original order for LG b 200 DVD player, $1,057.00, was placed on 12/27/2007 for overnight delivery. Product was not delivered as of 12/31/2007. Foto Connection was notified to cancel order due to local product availability on 12/31/07. Foto connection ignored order cancellation and continued to send notifications that the product was in the process of order delivery. Conversation was held with Paul on1/11/08. Again order cancellation was stressed. At that time Paul stated that the item had shipped on 1/10/08 for 1/11/08 delivery. Product did not arrive on 1/11. Order notifications continued to arrive from Foto Connection even though I stressed that I had now purchased the item locally. They tried to provide free service plan and free HDMI cable if I would accept the product. Four different emails were sent to them stressing order cancellation. On 1/23/08 another notice from Foto Connection was received that the product had shipped, in spite of all previous notices of cancellation. On 1/25/08 product arrived via UPS and was not accepted. UPS was instructed to return product to origin. American Express has been notified to dispute charges. Foto Connection has a policy to deceive customers with false information, provide misleading information and ignore customer direction.
Wm
  5th of Feb, 2008
I was scammed just now. I was so upset. I should have researched fotoconnection before purchase. I used Bizrate and this fraud company came up in the cheapest price. I felt weired after shopping, I received the e-mail to verify the order. I should have cancelled it at the moment. I called them and they forwarded and forwarded and forwarded, I said 'No, I don't need it." ( They did sales for vattery) he hung up. And that day, he left message on my phone to call them to verify order. ( I thought they didn't understand what I said.) The next day I called and the same thing happened, waiting... forwarded, forwarded and forwarded and at last they don't understand what I said. Then I asked if I can verify using e-mail. They sent e-mail. Since I wanted the camera soon, I typed their verification letter without looking well.
They charged me $80.00 more. As soon as I realized it,
I asked the reason why and it must be mistak.

But as you know, they never respond me. Then I tried to stop my payment, it was too late. I have not received the product, so I may claim them through the bank. But, maybe not. Because I have to talk with fraud scums again.

I want to stand up and eradicate fotoconnection. I cannot believe how come they've never been arrested since 2002. Why??? Let's fight them, all.
St
  27th of Feb, 2008
I have never left a bad review before. But I feel compelled to do so now. Unbelievable, I ordered a digital camera on line through this foto connection also. We thought that was it... nope. We received 3 emails about 15 minutes apart, we didn't notice until later that night though. It was a request to verify our credit card, so we called and some guy picked up the phone after being on hold for awhile, he sounded like he was eating a sandwich and he didn't seem to know anything, and he said we had to call back the next day. So my wife called the next day, Victor was the name (I think). He tried to get her to buy a battery a memory card, and something else, he was very rude to her, and she told him she just wants what she ordered, he said madly that it will arrive in 12 to 14 business days and hung up on her. I got a bad feeling, they made my wife feel very uncomfortable. This is not how it should be when you simply want to purchase a camera. I was extremely mad, I called them right up and I got some goof on the phone, I told him to cancel the order we placed immediately, he sounded like a punk when he said that the order already shipped, as he laughed with his buddy in the background, and mind you it has been 1 minute since my wife talked to him. I told him he better not think about charging my credit card, I was very upset at this point. I have never dealt with a company like this one, he told me to call a psychiatrist. It is hard for me to describe this situation, but I think you can tell that YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE... EVER... NEVER... DON'T CHANCE IT, I WOULD RATHER PAY DOUBLE THE PRICE OF AN ITEM THAN EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS BUNCH... NEVER!!! They are the most unprofessional bunch of misfits Iever had the misfortune of dealing with. They will try to rip you off. I wouldn't doubt that all there stuff is stolen, that is the impression we got.
Ga
  15th of Mar, 2008
i was about to order a double oven from this company till i stumbled onto your forum..soooo glad i found it..the oven was the cheapest i had found and was just about to order it too. Then i went to BBB and checked them out..nothing good to say about them from BBB...i am soo sure i wouldnt have gotten my oven in one piece if i had ordered it from them..they also ship refurbished items...DON"T USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANYTHING!!!!
Jo
  13th of Jun, 2008
Well, you can add my complaints to the rest regarding Foto Connection. I had an order problem in which they sent me a wrong sized set of filters. In the return process they made light of the return cost of which came to $12.29 FedEx (it was the next best thing to not insuring the filters which is what FC wanted me to do). I was told repeatedly that it only costs a few dollars and all this ridiculous talk about it not being their responsibility. At one point the customer service guy hung up on me. In the end I was given an RMA number to return the filters and promised I would be credited. I was asked to send a copy of the shipping receipt along with the returned filters. They eventually shipped me the correct filters, but I was never credited the return shipping cost.

Now I realize in the big picture this is a small amount of cash compared to some situations. This was part of a larger $700+ order, so I felt th need for some respect since it was their fault.

Foto Connection should be avoided at all costs. they are minpulative and try to sell you way beyond the order you want to place. They lie about battery quality and memory cards to sell you more expensive items. You better know what your products are if you do battle with these rude ###. The kicker is if you start to refuse their order suggestions they get mad and start treating you like dirt.

So do yourself a favor and go with a reliable researched outfit.
The old saying, "it looks to good to be true"...certainly applies in photography buying.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I left a message with the guy who supposedly gave the authorization to refund me the shipping cost.
I'm so confident I'll get a return call, I wrote this warning now!!!

Be Well!!
Da
  25th of Oct, 2008
This company does not do what it says it will do. I ordered a canon digital camera on line after being told I would receive a detailed email confirming all purchase details. I never received the email. I tried to log into my account on their site and could not - it kept coming up "invalid password." I called the company the next morning to cancel my order and I was told, "you cannot cancel, it has been shipped." They could not (would not) give me the UPS tracking number. The people on the phone are abrupt and not customer service friendly. The next day I called again to cancel and was told it was shipped. I was given a UPS number. I keyed the number into the UPS site and it was not registered. I called UPS and they confirmed that it was not registered. I called foto connection back to say, "cancel my order." Again, I was told it was shipped and the only way I can cancel my order was to refuse the package upon arrival. If someone at my business signs for the package then I am subject to a re-stocking fee if I elect to return it. These folks are only interested in making money - forget any concern for customer service or good will.
As they say...
Let the buyer beware!
Ti
  3rd of Nov, 2008

Foto Connection - false advertising
Foto Connection
New York
fotoconnection.com

Stay away from this company! They have a complete detailed breakdown of what the product is and how much it is. Once you agree to purchase it is when the games begin. They will try to sell you all kinds of accesories that you could purchase yourself for a fraction of their cost. If you still only want just the initial product they will tell you that all of the characters and wording is in Japanese and for an additional sum you can have the American version. If you foolishly have already placed your order with them cancel before they ship and get a cancelation confirmation number. They will ship it anyway and tell you that you did not cancel the order. Do not open the box, in fact refuse it at the post office. If you receive it do not open it and if you have to mail it back pay the extra for delivery confirmation or they will tell you they never received it. No, I am not crazy. I made all of these mistakes with this company and then started noticing numerous other complainst about this company. We order lots of stuff online and have never ever encountered a more disreputable company.
Ma
  11th of Nov, 2008
My son just got completely ripped off by this company...I am talking his purchases are in Japaneze, an incompatible battery pack, etc. He was over-charged by $1000...this is horrible! Extremely bad business practices to say the least and they don't call back when they say they will. No where to go for help!
Vi
  21st of Nov, 2008

Foto Connection - Rip off artists.....rude and verbally abusive
Florida
Phone: 904-375-2644

I found the 65 inch Sharp television, that I had been E-shopping for, from Foto Connection. I ordered it online. The next day I recieved a call and an e-mail from Victor, stating that I needed to add "truck shipping" (substantially higher) instead of UPS ground shipping, (which I had chosen). When I refused he gave me alot of "who shot John" stating that I would have to be responsible for all damages to the product. When I agreed he then stated, that I had to sign a waiver to that effect. When I agreed to the waiver, he changed his story and said they had contacted UPS and UPS refused to ground ship the television. I contacted UPS myself, with the weight and measurements of the set, and there was NO PROBLEM with shipping it by ground. I called Victor back and told him that UPS had no problem with ground delivery. Two days later Victor called back with more tactics...telling me they had shipped it out via UPS and the set came back to them. BULLSH@* !!!
I cancelled my order right there on the spot. I then added all the "charges" that were NOT advertised on the website, and found that the set was going to cost me the same as it would from a reputable dealer. Save yourselves the HASSLE, don't deal with these guys!!! The Better Business Bureau is a joke...why isn't anyone shutting these rip-off artists down?????