Foto Connection / Fraud and cheating

Foto Connection
DO NOT be tempted to purchase anything from fotoconnection.com. They will not ship your order until you confirm it by calling them which is only done to try to sell you accessories. If you don't buy the accessories they will switch what you purchased to a less expensive model. Here's my story...

I ordered a Nikon Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens and to my surprise they did not ship it within a few days as any other reputable online merchant would do. Instead, they called me several days later under the guise that they needed to confirm the order (yeah right) and attempted to sell me some lens filters. They told me they were running a half price special only for that day. Since I was at my new job and didn't want to start googling to research and I wanted to get the lens before my son's karate belt test which was coming up in a few days, I hastily approved the accessory. When I got home and realized that I should research the price, I found out that they were charging me significantly more for the lens filters than what I could get them for anywhere else online. I e-mailed them and told them to cancel the lens filters but send me the lens. For several days, I kept receiving an e-mail confirmation which included the lens filters. There were two buttons to choose from which was accept the order or decline the order. To no surprise, the accept button was a live one but the decline one was a dead link. Several e-mails later of trying to cancel the lens filters and keep the original lens order did not seem to work. I finally sent them a scolding e-mail to cancel the entire order and I also told them that I was going to send a letter to the US Attorney General's office to request them to look into their sales practices. The next thing I know, I received a confirmation e-mail with the lens filters off, but the lens they now switched to the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens. The difference is that the lens they were now sending did not include the VR (which is vibration reduction) and this lens was like $30 or more cheaper than the other lens I ordered, however the price of the order did not change. I sent them another scolding e-mail telling them not to ship the lens and to cancel my whole order and if they did ship it, I would just reject the package and dispute any charge with my credit card company. Well they shipped the lens and I rejected the package as I told them I would. They ended up crediting me over a month later but the credit was for 15% less than the original charge which they said was a restocking fee. This was totally ridiculous considering I didn't even take possession of the package let alone open it (besides everything that I went through). I ended up disputing the difference with my credit card company and got back the money (hopefully they charged them back).

Stay away from fotoconnection and pay the extra 10% or 15% to deal with a reputable company. In actuality, you're really not paying more since you won't get that price from fotoconnection.com anyway. You'll just end up paying the same or more and be forced to deal with an unethical company.

N  26th of Sep, 2008 by
After you make your initial purchase on line they call you for "confirmation" then comes the pressure sales pitch to get you to alter your purchase. I ordered a Canon Xs digital camera, although the invoice stated usa model I received the kiss f (japan) version. The package I chose came with 2 lenses, the sales man told me on the phone that the lenses were cheap plastic ones made in china and recommended I upgrade to the glass ones for $230 more and they would upgrade the battery from the "starter" battery to a long life battery.(that I later found out came standard with the camera) I refused the 2 lenses and was immediately offered to upgrade just one lens for $80 plus the free battery. Like a fool I accepted this one. next came the push for the extended warranty, after refusing, the price went from $119 to $59 I didn't take that either. when my camera arrived it only had the upgraded lens no zoom lens. I got to checking the invoice and they removed both original lenses and added the "upgraded" lens. MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERYTHING WORD FOR WORD THAT THEY SEND YOU. The upgraded lens ended up being a cheap non canon that I have found on the net for $59. So I went from a usa model with 2 lenses, one zoom, one standard, to a japan model with one cheap made in China lens and it cost me an extra $80. Do. not trust then for anything read, read, read. I could have seen the one lens had been dropped if I would have reread the entire invoice word for word. When I call to try and correct the problem I was told I should have known what I ordered and to be happy with the deal I got. By the way you can return it for 15% fee.