Fitness USA / Scam - be very careful

1 Westand, MI, United States Review updated:

I have multiple complaints. First, the advertised prices (even in huge numbers on the wall) are temporary. The actual membership price is double that amount. There are also quarterly additional fees to use the gym. But here is the clincher - you can't use the gym everyday, AND you can't even use the locker room or take a shower afterwards. Most of this information was left out by the guy who hurriedly signed me up for the program and not even giving me a chance to ASK questions (it never occurred to be that I couldn't use the locker room - how was I to know to ask that) Granted - I was told that fees would go up after the trial period - but nothing else!!!

But to make matters even worse - I saw OTHER PEOPLE'S credit information sitting at the front desk!!! I would never dream of doing it - but it would have been so easy to steal someone else's information. . . DO NOT go to this gym!!

Comments

• Ph
      6th of Feb, 2011

You are correct. I don't live close to the two locations in this general area, but had faithfully tried to go every day when I was still trying to lose weight. That was a lot of wear and tear on my car, including gas costs. I knew that when I signed up, but now there is a gym in the area ( a nation chain) where you can actually go every day, regardless of gender, 24/7. But I have too much invested in Fitness USA although both locations have really gone downhill in the past few years. And yes, although I have a 'life time' membership, every few months they still bill me with a fee; guess it is to keep up the maintainence but they do a poor job of that. I do not see this organization staying in business much longer unless they really clean up their act.

• Ra
      20th of Sep, 2012

They will bill you til you die or until that credit card expires...and hopefully the bank notifies you that they request to re-institute billing on the new card - and not all banks do that. Otherwise whether you like it or not, your account is stuck in their billing system for good. It is so interesting that you saw all that billing stuff on the counter - it really is the core of that business - those credit cards! And yes that $19 thing is sucker bait, just as you say. It's why I say 20-somethings and their credit cards should never leave the house without a chaperone.

And incidentally, they do not enforce that "no cell phones in lockerroom" thing. I caught some squirrel lurking in one of those changing rooms taking pics of guys schmedricks through the crack in the door. Beware - lest your little puffball wind up the newest feature on extube.

A very useful, informative post. Thanks