Family Credit Counseling Corporation / Fraud

1 10758 Wiles RoadCoral Springs, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-845-4027

I enrolled in a Debt Management Program with Family Credit Counseling Corporation in 2004. Family Credit Counseling Corporation agreed to pay my creditors in a timely manner. FCCC withdraw funds twice out of my checking account 6 months in a row, they did not dispurse payments to my creditors 7 months. Most recently American Debt Counseling Corporation took over the clients under the FCCC program. I submitted a payment to FCCC on 10/14 and the funds were supposed to be forwarded to American Debt Counseling Corporation and they were not. I am now out of pocket about $3, 000 and the new company American Debt Counseling Corporation is stating it is not their problem. FCCC has stolen the funds and that is illegal. Clients should be reimbursed for the funds that were never disbursed. All the contact numbers for FCCC have been disconnected or never any answers. How can I get my money back?

Comments

• Bo
      28th of Oct, 2008

In 2005, this company defaulted on payments to my creditors. While they continued to deduct my monthly payment of $281 from my Bank of America account, they failed to distribute the funds that they had committed to send to my creditors as detailed in our signed contract. When I called Family Credit Counseling to complain that my creditors had not been paid, I was only able to reach a recorded message that stated the office was closed due to a hurricane. In the months that followed, I was able to reach agents there that explained that there was a computer glitch due to the hurricane which prevented funds from being distributed. However, I incurred finance charges on my credit accounts and letters from these creditors threatening to drop me from the program because I had "defaulted" on my payments. Family Credit Counseling never took responsibility for these finance charges and would not write a letter to the credit bureau explaining that I was not responsible for the default on these accounts.

• Mb
      20th of Nov, 2008

Exact same thing happened to me, if you hear anything will you please post it here?

• Ac
      28th of Jan, 2009

Same thing has happened to me...I contact BBB and the FL Attorney General, but nothing yet. If you find out anything please post.

2nd of Feb, 2009

They were just talking about this on Inside Edition. The owner of FCCC is a man named James Armstrong and he owns many debt counseling companies (including both mentioned in the previous post). Here is the link to the story on Inside Edition:

22nd of Dec, 2009

They took $3, 064 from me in August and Sept. 2008. Has anyone been able to get their money back? I head some did through their bank. I wonder what they told their bank and if it's too late for me. Any comments would be appreciated.

• Ya
      31st of May, 2010

Same thing here everybody! Had to pay one month upfront as a "membership fee" to be used as my lieu of my last payment. My debts were paid in delay. I got skammed. I will talk to my laywer about everybody's concernsand post if we have anything to proceed forward with.

10th of Jan, 2011

I am so glad I saw these posts. I enrolled with FCCC almost five years ago and then American Debt Counseling took over. Now I have one payment to go to be debt free. I asked ADC about my "security deposit" that was made to FCCC almost five years ago, and they said they know nothing about it and I would have to contact FCCC. I guess I'm out the money, but at least ADC consistently sent my payments to my creditors. I'm so sorry to hear what you have all gone through.

• Pa
      8th of Aug, 2011

The same thing happened to me! I'm almost at the end of my agreement that I originally made with FCCC. YOu're telling me I'm out my deposit too? When American Deby Counseling first took over my account I inquired about the two months FCCC took out of my account but did not pay my bills. The said it wasn't their problem. I called BBB in Florida but nevr got a response from them either. How can this be legal? I'm hoping a class action suit will be created in the near future for those of us who thought FCCC was acting in good faith. Taking money from people that obviously really need financial help. Disgusting!!!