Experian / Report Number ID login process sounds like a scam to me

1 Springfield, IL, United States Review updated:

Upon previous request, through the Annual Credit Report.com website, I requested a copy of my Experian credit report. For privacy purposes, they said they would have to send me a separate Report Number in order to allow me to access my online credit report. I would have to not only enter my Report Number, but also my Zip Code, state, and my Social Security Number for access. I don't trust entering my SSN# for my credit report--sounds fishy. I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should use this Report Number tactic to obtain my credit report, or should I avoid this at all costs (or could AnnualCreditReport.com be another one of those scams too).

Comments

• Mo
      14th of Sep, 2009

Whenever i did my credit report(free one) from that site, i never had to enter my report number. I did have to enter all the other info you stated above though. i'm not too sure what to tell you on this one.

• Lu
      1st of Apr, 2011

Its safe as long as its www.annualcreditreport.com and make sure that the site starts with https:// or has a lock icon on the bottom of your browser.

• Lu
      1st of Apr, 2011

https:// and lock icon means secure.